About South Pasadena
South Pasadena, California is a vibrant city just east of downtown Los Angeles. Known for its quaint blend of urban sophistication and small-town style, the city attracts visitors from near and far seeking to experience all that South Pasadena has to offer.
Production is king in this small metropolis; it’s home to sound stages, award-winning showrunners, celebrities, and industry executives alike. As for photo shoots? South Pasadena is full of iconic locations for content creation—like Garfield Park with its amazing sculptures or the Mediterranean-style Arlington Garden!
Did you know there's even an underground tunnel that was the site of numerous movie scenes? Be sure to visit the hidden gems tucked away in this cinematic dreamland if you get a chance—a must-see for any photographer or fan of the silver screen!
Photo Shoot Options in South Pasadena
The art of photography came into its own with the advancement of technology allowing a photographer to change the image and the message of a still picture. This is accomplished through lighting, color imaging, and framing. A professional photographer is a director, producer, camera person, and editor in one body. The photographer cannot hand off any part of the photo staging without losing the vision, and ultimately the message, of the photo.
The success of a photo shoot lies in the connection to the target audience and its relation to the brand. It will be beneficial to have a marketing company working with the client and the photographer before and during the shoot. The end product will be distributed to the public through different mediums, and the messages within each need to be specifically crafted. The make-up of the targets is different in each media rollout.
The city’s film office will process the application package and will issue the permit. A permit is required for photo shoots within the city limits. The film office has established liaison services to interact with other city departments and the residents in connection with the shoot.
Photo Shoot Companies in South Pasadena
- Sheri Geoffreys Photography
Sheri Geoffreys is a professional photographer serving the Los Angeles area since 2000. Her creations bring forth the messaging and branding from still imagery for end uses in magazines, websites, and print. The editing skills are as important as the shoot. Geofferys Photography has the support within for hair and make-up. The images created by this studio have been used in professional photography such as executive, editorial, and artistic.
- Coffee House Industries
This full-service creative design company located in Palmdale offers is services for the scenery and props for the set and the graphic designs after the shoot. Coffee House Industries can be utilized as the project manager for the schedule, the approval process, and the planning for the market rollout. It is important to have one company responsible for these ancillary services to support the shoot and the marketing campaign.
- Huntington Catering
This catering and event planning service company located in South Pasadena will customize the serving detail and menu options to meet the budget and the expectations of the client. The formality and location of the venue are important factors when considering food service. Huntington Catering will provide all the furniture, lighting, serving tables, utensils, and all other items to complete the service.
Pros and Cons of Photo Shoots in South Pasadena
South Pasadena is a picturesque city in Southern California that offers a variety of unique locations for photo shoots. Here are some pros and cons of South Pasadena as a photo shoot location:
- South Pasadena is easily accessible from Los Angeles, with proximity to major highways and public transit routes.
- Photographers can take advantage of the diverse architecture in town, which includes Victorian-style homes, Craftsman bungalows, Spanish Revival dwellings, and other distinctive buildings.
- South Pasadena has an exceptionally temperate climate throughout the year, making it ideal for shooting outdoors.
- The city’s streets are regularly maintained and kept clean for optimal photography opportunities.
- There are plenty of shops where you can purchase or rent props and talent agencies where you can hire models for a shoot.
- Parking is often limited in areas that have popular tourist attractions or special events taking place.
- Many areas require permits if you plan on using drones or filming with larger crews.
- Some parts of town may require additional permission if they are on private property or within restricted zones like schools or churches.
- Certain times of the day can be especially busy with pedestrians walking around and cars driving by which can obstruct your shots if you’re trying to capture something quietly or without any distractions.
- Some areas may be undergoing construction which could cause noise and pose safety hazards during your shoot, limiting where you can photograph.
Tips on How to Organize Photo Shoot Locations in South Pasadena
South Pasadena is a picturesque area with beautiful natural features and charming residential streets that make it the perfect place for a photo shoot. Here are some tips on how to prepare a location for the photo shoot so you can capture the best possible shots in this lovely city.
- Scout first: If possible, scout out your location in advance to get a better feel for what type of shots might be possible at the site. Doing so will also give you time to make any necessary adjustments or preparations before the actual photo shoot takes place.
- Prep the area: Prepare the shooting area by tidying up any clutter and removing anything that could potentially be distracting from the photos such as garbage cans and parked cars, if possible.
- Set up props or other items ahead of time: This can include furniture pieces, plants, rugs, pillows, and more, that can easily be moved around during a session for creative photo ideas.
- Plan your shoots accordingly: Take into account factors such as available lighting conditions at different times of the day. Taking advantage of natural light can help create beautiful shots while reducing additional costs associated with using artificial lighting solutions.
- Communicate all expectations between everyone involved both before and during the shoot: This includes clients (if applicable), photographers/videographers, and any assistants helping out with setup. This is to ensure that there are no surprises when it’s time to start shooting!
- Finally, keep safety in mind when scouting and prepping shooting locations: Make sure everyone involved is aware of potential hazards such as slippery surfaces near bodies of water (such as lakes) or unstable ground near cliffsides and unfamiliar terrain!
Famous Locations in South Pasadena
- The Raymond 1886
The Raymond Hotel was established in 1886 and hosted film stars on location in South Pasadena in the 1920s. The owner, Walter Raymond from Boston, lived in a cottage on the hotel’s property. The hotel was lost due to the depression, but Mr. Raymond continued to have guests at his cottage, which is now the location of The Raymond 1886. It remains the mantra of this establishment to continue the tradition of having friends and family over for meals.
- Norton Simon Museum
Norton Simon was an industrialist and an avid art collector. His collection is known as one of the greatest in watercolor and oils, tapestries, and artifacts from India and Asia. As a believer in “art without walls”, the Norton Simon Art Foundation arranged for the collections to be displayed by traveling exhibits. Fate and time lead to Mr. Simon’s leadership of the Pasadena Art Museum when it was severely cash-strapped and on the verge of closing. This museum became the walls of the Norton Simon collection now on permanent display.
- South Pasadena Farmers’ Market
The local Chamber of Commerce organized the farmers’ market in 2004 and continues to sponsor this mainstay event. Unlike other farmers’ markets, this one is held in the early evening hours every Thursday in the walkable business district. The businesses along the route remain open later on Thursdays to capture the market attendees. This market is the perfect venue for local farmers, artisans, and musicians to interact with the community.