About South Pasadena
South Pasadena is a textured, vibrant blend of residential neighborhoods and bustling business districts located northeast of Los Angeles. It's known for production and content creation—famous films like La La Land, cult classic Legally Blonde, and even 2018’s Halloween have been shot in South Pasadena’s locations.
South Pasadenans pride themselves on the city's historic sites, balmy Mediterranean climate, and top-notch school district. The unique city charm has put it in the spotlight as the setting for some major Hollywood films over the years—with a trivia note that South Pasadena High was actually Metropolis High in Matilda.
The small town attracts visitors from across the globe who come to explore its stately mansions, old-world neighborhoods, and urban amenities like trendy boutiques and craft cocktail bars. Whether you're looking for serenity or sophisticated fun, South Pasadena has something for everyone!
Film Shoot Options in South Pasadena
- Costume Designer
Along with makeup artists and hairstyles, costume designers play a crucial role in bringing a character to life in films and videos. They design and create every character’s outfit to convey their personality, occupation, and economic status, ensuring they reflect the film’s period and aesthetics.
There is a great variety of catering companies that serve the South Pasadena area. Many of them cater to film crews and offer various menu options. They can also create a custom menu specifically for vegan and vegetarian diets, gluten-free, and other special dietary needs.
South Pasadena is rich with numerous cleaning services. These businesses have the equipment and expertise to keep the filming location clean and tidy. No matter what studio or film set cleaning services you need, they will guarantee results that will not let you down.
- Studio and Equipment Rental
You might need a space that allows for more creative freedom for your upcoming production project. Perhaps, you want to try a new camera gear before buying or simply wish to access the best filming tools at a fraction of the cost. No matter the reason, a studio, and equipment rental service in South Pasadena is the best way to go.
Film Shoot Vendors in South Pasadena
- Radhika Modern Indian
Are you looking to bring delicious Indian food to your film set or studio? Radhika Restaurant can deliver authentic Indian dishes to your film shoot location in the city. It opened its doors in Alhambra in 1995, with a new South Pasadena site offering catering and delivery services. If you want to treat your crew members after filming, its restaurant is open for reservations.
- Merry Maids
Sit back, relax, and let the experts handle your cleaning needs. Merry Maids is committed to helping you enjoy a clean, safe, and healthy environment. Its team of proficient cleaners can come to your studio or movie set to clean the area, furniture, and props. They are also insured and have undergone extensive training to handle your equipment and expensive camera gear with utmost care.
- The Coin Studio
The Coin is one of the most famous creative spaces and equipment rental companies in South Pasadena. It’s available to rent for professionals who need a space to create audio or video content. The company's audio/video capabilities allow streaming live content across multiple social media platforms simultaneously, making it the perfect place to produce content for your followers or fans.
Pros and Cons of Film Shoots in South Pasadena
There are a few things to consider before deciding if South Pasadena is the right film shoot location for your project.
- The location is central and convenient for film crews to access.
- A variety of shops and restaurants in the area serve as perfect filming locations.
- The Gold Line light rail station is close by, enhancing movement around town.
- The atmosphere is charming and attractive which gives films an aesthetic boost.
- It can be difficult to find parking in most parts of the city.
- Some of the streets are narrow and congested.
- Businesses and residents might view film crews as a disruptive lot, which limits access to certain parts of the city.
Tips on How to Organize Film Shoot Locations in South Pasadena
South Pasadena is a vibrant and busy city, filled with endless possibilities for an amazing film shoot. However, organizing a location for shooting can be quite daunting. The following list of tips will help you navigate the complexities of prepping a film shoot location in South Pasadena and ensure your production is successful.
- Research Neighborhoods: Before renting a space, research the neighborhood and think about what type of environment you need to create the desired atmosphere for your film shoot. Consider factors such as parking, noise levels, traffic patterns, and access points to determine if the area is suitable for your needs.
- Scout Locations: Once you’ve narrowed down potential locations, scout them out to make sure they meet all of your criteria. Take into account natural lighting conditions, surrounding areas that could interfere with filming or affect the sound quality (such as nearby construction sites), any restrictions imposed by homeowners or businesses in the area, etc.
- Hire Local Crews and Equipment Rentals: South Pasadena offers many talented local crews and equipment rentals including camera operators, sound engineers, grips, and costume designers, and rental vehicles, which could save you some money compared to bringing your own team from outside the city limits.
- Clean Up and Restore: When shooting has wrapped up at a specific location, it’s important that you clean up thoroughly and leave everything exactly as it was before filming began. This includes restoring any damage caused during shooting and returning borrowed items to their original owners (if applicable). This will ensure everyone involved has a positive experience working with you and your team on future projects!
Famous Locations in South Pasadena
- The USC Pacific Asia Museum
The USC Pacific Asia Museum is home to a fantastic variety of Asian and Pacific Island art and artifacts. It features the Grace Nicholson Building, which houses the museum's collections. It is a lovely example of Chinese architecture and has been designated a Cultural Heritage Landmark. The USC Pacific Asia Museum is a one-of-a-kind museum that is well worth seeing by anybody interested in the arts and cultures of Asia.
- The Tournament House
The Tournament House and Wrigley Gardens were created by magnate William Wrigley Jr. A successful businessman from Pennsylvania, Wrigley purchased the home in Pasadena as part of his real estate portfolio that included properties in many different states. The Tournament House is now the headquarters of the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, which is responsible for the annual Rose Parade and Rose Bowl football game.
- Wrigley Gardens
Surrounding the iconic Tournament House are the glorious Wrigley Gardens, featuring floral displays, fountain gardens, arbor/rose garden, and more. It also has terraces leading you to the front of the Mansion. It spans 4.5 acres and over 1,500 floral varieties, including seasonal flowers, camellias, roses, etc.