Passaic is a charming city located in northeastern New Jersey. It is home to a diverse population and a vibrant culture. Passaic is known as the “Birthplace of Television” because an experimental TV station began transmitting here in 1931. This station, W2XCD, was also the first station to show a feature film. Related or not, the city is a popular film shoot location. In recent years, it has been featured in a number of major motion pictures, including The Wrestler and War of the Worlds.
Passaic offers a variety of interesting locations for filmmakers, from its historic downtown to its scenic waterfront. In addition, the city’s diverse population provides a wealth of talent for filmmakers to tap into. Whether you’re looking for a unique setting for your next film or just want to explore a fascinating city, Passaic is worth a visit.
Film Shoot Options in Passaic
The city offers a variety of lighting options for filmmakers, from natural sunny skies to venues with incredible chandeliers and other indoor lighting. Filmmakers can also rent equipment from local vendors.
Passaic has a number of costume rental options to choose from, no matter the era of your production. There are also a plethora of make-up artists in the city who can help create the perfect look for your film actors and models.
Passaic provides you with plenty of equipment rental options from camera grips and rigging to clamps, clips, and stages. Filmmakers can also rent vehicles from local vendors.
Film Shoot Vendors in Passaic
- Lite Brite Productions
Lite Brite Productions is a full-service lighting company that has been operating all over the country for over 20 years. They offer a wide range of lighting services, from event lighting to film and television production. If you want an LED wall, video mapping, scenic props, or even live sound, Lite Brite Productions has a large inventory.
- The Main Ingredient
From Israel to Canada to the US, The Main Ingredient was built with love by Moishe Goldberg. The story began in 2000 with a bakery and The Main Ingredient is a culmination of hard work and talent in the kitchen. A variety of platters and more are offered to catering clients choosing to order off the menu of traditional and Kosher dishes.
- Candle Light and Grip
Candle Light and Grip offers delivery and pickup of reliable equipment required for your production. If you are in need of grips, gaffers, swings, or drivers this ready to assist company can supply. As far as equipment goes, one can book a half ton, one ton, or two ton truck of rental items.
Pros and Cons of Film Shoots in Passaic
When it comes to choosing a film shoot location, there are a lot of factors to consider. One destination that has been gaining popularity in recent years is Passaic, New Jersey. There are a few reasons why Passaic makes a great film shoot location as well as some issues to be aware of.
- Passaic has a variety of locations that would be perfect for a film shoot, from bustling city life to peaceful nature walks.
- Passaic is a performance friendly city, meaning extras for your production should be easy to find.
- Being a city of four seasons, Passaic can provide a variety of settings no matter the time of year.
- Passaic does not have an adequate transit system for getting around.
- You may need permits if you're filming in certain locations.
- The cost of filming in Passaic may be higher than in other locations because it's a small city with fewer amenities.
Tips on How to Organize Film Shoots in Passaic
Any film shoot location must be scouted and organized in advance to run smoothly on the day of the shoot. This is especially true for destination shoots, where everything from the weather to the terrain can be unpredictable. When organizing a film shoot in Passaic, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
- Check on permits: First, consult with the local chamber of commerce to get advice on permits and other requirements.
- Pick a venue: Next, choose a destination that will provide easy access to the necessary facilities and services.
- Hire staff: Make a list of your requirements for staffing, from equipment crews to extras to caterers.
- Plan the day: Create an agenda for each day, from beginning to end and include important must-dos and staff breaks.
- Have a ‘Plan B’: Finally, make sure to factor in any potential disruptions, such as construction or bad weather.
Famous Locations in Passaic
- Armory Park
Look for the Cenotaph in Armory Park; it’s a memorial to service men and women and was dedicated in 1924. Most famous for the memorial to WWI, the park is a place for rest and respite. Park benches are in abundance.Take a rest and reflect on the history of those gone before.
- Aycrigg Mansion
This stately mansion was constructed in 1848 and was the home of physician and politician Dr. John Bancker Aycrigg. In 1899, Aycrigg Mansion became Passaic Collegiate School and was also the site of many Masonic Lodges. The mansion is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a site worthy of preservation.
- Dundee Island Park
With amenities like a busy amphitheater, a sculpture park and several walking paths, Dundee Island Park is known for its River Walk. Refurbished in 2020, Dundee Island Park boasts six rain gardens filter water to return to the Passaic River.