Chicago is a vibrant city located on the shores of Lake Michigan, known for its diverse population, culture, and history. The city boasts stunning architecture, excellent museums, world-renowned restaurants, and beautiful parks and beaches along the lakefront. Whether you're looking to explore the unique neighborhoods or experience one of the many world-class attractions of this great city, Chicago has something to offer everyone.
Hosting a lake event in Chicago can provide a memorable experience for attendees. With unparalleled views of the majestic Lake Michigan shoreline, events can take full advantage of the stunning landscape. Additionally, the moderate weather allows for outdoor events to be held year-round without sacrificing comfort or safety. The many cultural attractions throughout Chicago also make it an ideal destination for special events. Attendees can enjoy music festivals and art exhibitions in some of the city's most iconic neighborhoods, such as Pilsen and Chinatown.
Numerous parks and recreational areas around Lake Michigan provide scenic views and plenty of opportunities for activities like kayaking or sailing. Chicago is one of few cities in America with an abundance of public transportation options making it easy for guests to get around during their trip. These combined features make Chicago an exceptional place to host your next lake event!
Lake Event Options in Chicago
- Furniture Rental
A furniture rental company can help you with the setup and teardown of your event. They often have a variety of unique pieces to choose from, which can help create the look and feel you're going for.
A professional photographer will capture all the important moments of your event. They'll be able to take photos of your guests, the decorations, and the lake itself. This will ensure you have a lasting memory of your event.
- Props Rental
Adding props to your event can really make it stand out. A local prop rental company can provide everything from tents and chairs to tables.
Lake Event Vendors in Chicago
- Nicodem Creative
Nicodem Creative is a husband and wife team based in Chicago, IL. They have a unique, intuitive approach to photography that puts couples and families at ease in front of the camera, especially in scenic locations like lakes, seashores, forests, gardens, and other nature-scapes. They know that relationships are the key to stunning images and prioritize getting to know their clients before taking photos. Nicodem Creative is the perfect place to visit for anyone looking for beautiful, personal images that reflect the joy of family and togetherness.
- Chicago Majestic Rentals
If you're looking for a place to make your lake event special, look no further than Chicago Majestic Rentals. They specialize in renting out unique and eye-catching furniture and decor, including throne chairs, letter tables, marquee lights, backdrops/drapery, and more. Their team is professional and passionate about helping clients create unforgettable lakeside events, and they're proud to offer competitive pricing and package discounts. They're also committed to responding to inquiries promptly and being vendor-friendly. So if you want to add a bit extra something to your next event, they are ready to help.
- Zap Props
Zap Props is a great place to visit if you're looking for vintage or unique items to rent for commercial decor. They have a massive inventory of props for events, photography, stage, film, and set decoration, and they're sure to have what you're looking for. They also provide wall-to-wall decor for local and national restaurants, including signage, props, shadow boxes, antiques, framed images, and vinyl lettering. If you need something custom-made (for a special occasion or event at your lake venue), they have a professional print shop, frame shop, and fabrication studio on-site to help you with the setup.
Pros and Cons of Lake Events in Chicago
Holding lake events in Chicago is a popular choice for many special occasions, as the city offers some of the most beautiful and unique waterfront venues for hosting various events. From private boats and stunning yacht charters to luxurious beachfront resorts, Chicago is an ideal destination for celebrating with friends and family. However, several advantages and disadvantages exist when planning a lake event in Chicago. Below is a list of some of the top advantages and disadvantages of hosting your special celebrations on one of Chicago’s many lakes:
- With breathtaking views of the skyline and shoreline, Lake Michigan provides an incredible backdrop for any event. You can take picturesque photos from your boat or indulge in some serene sightseeing while enjoying the calm waters beneath you.
- Most Lake Michigan venue locations offer activities like fishing trips, sunset cruises, and even fireworks displays. This adds a touch of fun to your lake event that you won't find anywhere else.
- With various types of boats available for rent or charter, it's easy to customize your event based on size or budget constraints. Plus, if you host certain festivities out on the lake, you'll have more freedom than at a traditional indoor venue.
- While most indoor venues protect from outside elements, lake events are much more susceptible to weather changes, such as rain or windy conditions that could potentially cause cancellations or other unexpected issues.
- Anyone participating in water-based activities should be aware of potential safety issues, such as strong currents or sudden storms that could arise without warning at sea. Taking proper precautions before embarking on any water activity should always be discussed beforehand between all participants.
- While renting or chartering boats may not be overly expensive compared to traditional indoor venues, they can still add up depending on how long you plan on being out on the lake or what type of vessel you rent/charter for the occasion. Additionally, catering services may need to be brought on board, increasing the costs associated with hosting an outdoor celebration like this one.
Tips on How to Organize Lake Events in Chicago
Organizing a lake event in Chicago can be a rewarding experience, with plenty of beautiful lakeside venues to choose from. To ensure your event is a success, here are some helpful tips:
- Start by selecting the right location: Check out the local regulations and permits needed for your selected venue, its capacity, and any restrictions it may impose. It’s also a good idea to be mindful of how close you are to any residential areas so as not to cause any disruption or conflict with neighbors.
- Next up is catering: To ensure all guests are taken care of, find out if your chosen venue offers catering services or if you’ll need to bring your food and drinks. It’s wise to plan the menu ahead of time, including vegetarian options for those who don’t eat meat.
- Before your event starts, prepare for any lake-related activities you might have planned: For example, consider renting boats or organizing water sports like kayaking or paddleboarding. You could also hire instructors to provide lessons and guidance during the event.
- After everything is in place, communicate all necessary information clearly with guests before the event date arrives, such as directions and what they should bring (e.g., swimsuits): Additionally, ensure that there is adequate parking available nearby the venue, so everyone has a safe and convenient way of getting there without any issues!
- Be mindful of lake safety throughout the day: This includes having life jackets and other floating devices handy in case someone falls into the lake while swimming or participating in watersports activities. In addition, it’s advisable to appoint someone reliable as an emergency contact should anything unexpected happen at the venue during the event.
Famous Locations in Chicago
- Nuclear Energy
If you want to learn more about the history of nuclear energy, Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry is a great place to visit. The museum is home to Henry Moore's "Nuclear Energy" sculpture, which commemorates the site of the world's first manufactured, self-sustaining nuclear reaction. While the reaction was relatively low in energy, it marked a significant milestone in the development of nuclear power. The Museum of Science and Industry is an excellent resource for anyone interested in learning more about the history and science of nuclear energy.
- Bubbly Creek
Bubbly Creek, located in Chicago, Illinois, is great if you want to learn more about American history and the meatpacking industry. The creek's name comes from the blood, entrails, and waste dumped by the nearby meatpacking plants. This became a problem after Upton Sinclair's 1906 book The Jungle exposed the unsanitary conditions of these plants. Despite its cheery name, Bubbly Creek is a reminder of the dark side of America's industrial past. However, it is also a reminder of the progress that has been made since then. Today, the creek is much cleaner than it was in Sinclair's time and is a popular spot for fishing and kayaking. So whether you're interested in history or just looking for a place to enjoy the outdoors, Bubbly Creek is worth a visit.
- L.H. Selman Glass Gallery
If you're looking for a nice place to spend some time that's a little out of the ordinary, the L.H. Selman Glass Gallery in Chicago is definitely worth checking out. Specializing in glass paperweights, the gallery boasts over 1,000 pieces from some of the world's most skilled artisans. Whether you're a seasoned collector or fascinated by this unique art form, you'll surely find something to admire at the L.H. Selman Glass Gallery. Who knows? You might just leave with a new paperweight for your collection!