Chicago, Illinois, is full of energy, culture, and beauty. It's the third-largest city in the United States, home to more than 2.7 million people. The city has many nicknames - "The Windy City," "The Second City," or "Chi-Town" - but it's perhaps best known for its deep sense of community and midwestern solid values.
Tea parties have been around for centuries in the United States, but Chicago has taken them to a new level by making them a part of its culture and traditions. People from all walks of life come together to enjoy these occasions, each bringing their unique style to the event. Whether dressed up or down for a tea party in Chicago, you'll always be welcomed with open arms!
There will usually be plenty of food served at these gatherings, too - everything from classic American dishes to international cuisines and desserts is available on these occasions. Not only do they offer an incredible opportunity to learn about different cultures and indulge in delicious treats, but they also serve as a reminder that people all come together as one big family when they unite around something as simple as enjoying a cup of tea!
Tea Party Options in Chicago
Sweet and savory treats are the foundation of a tea party, and the bakeries in Chicago can serve up tiered trays of these confections. If your menu includes cake pops, scones, petit fours, macaroons, pies, brownies, and mini sandwiches; the local bakers have you covered.
There's no shortage of outstanding talent in Chicago, and a live band is the perfect source of entertainment for a tea party. With their repertoire of classical ensembles to jazz trios, your guests will enjoy sipping on their teas as lovely acoustics fill up the space.
- Tea Stores
Besides the sweet and savory spread, the tea is the highlight of a tea party. A visit to Chicago’s tea stores gives you access to different blends of loose-leaf tea that would be perfect for the occasion.
A tea party without flowers is unthinkable, and many of Chicago's top florists can help you create lovely arrangements for your event. Most florists supply everything from exotic plants to seasonal blooms, as well as sound advice about which floral arrangements work best for your specific event.
- Event Planners
If you need help planning your tea party, Chicago’s event planners can assist. These professionals lend a hand with everything from choosing the right venue to selecting the perfect menu.
Tea Party Vendors in Chicago
- Signature Occasions
Signature Occasions is an event planning and decor business based in Chicago. They take the time to get to know each client and understand their vision for the special occasion. This allows them to tailor each event to the specific needs and wants of the client, rather than working from a pre-set script.
- Natural Beauties Flower Design
Superbly located in Chicago’s West Loop district, Natural Beauties takes great pride in providing exceptional service and stunning arrangements that are always on trend. No matter the occasion, they provide chic and creative arrangements that are sure to brighten any space. As their name implies, they strive to bring out the beauty of nature through contemporary, quirky, and avant-garde styles.
- Chris Martin Music
Chris Martin is a highly talented musician with a vast repertoire of music and the ability to play in various styles. Best of Chicago voted him the best ambient musician in the city, and his playing will surely add a touch of class to any event. Whether you are hosting a party or a corporate event, Chris Martin's music sets the tone of luxury and elegance.
Pros and Cons of Tea Parties in Chicago
Hosting a tea party can be an intimidating endeavor. However, with its distinct offerings and cityscape, Chicago offers the perfect backdrop for these special gatherings. Here are some benefits and drawbacks of tea parties in Chicago:
- There are numerous tea shops and cafes throughout the city, providing a wide variety of options for tea party venues.
- Many local bakeries can provide delicious treats for your guests.
- A wide range of talent is available in Chicago to entertain your tea party.
- Catering companies can provide many food options, from light refreshments to full meals.
- Many florists in Chicago can provide beautiful arrangements for your event.
- Event planners can assist with all aspects of planning your tea party, from choosing a venue to selecting a menu.
- Tea parties may be more expensive to plan in Chicago than in other cities due to the higher costs of venues and vendors.
- Chicago weather conditions can be unpredictable, impacting outdoor tea party plans.
- Some tea party venues may have less flexible booking times during peak season.
- Finding parking near popular tea party venues in Chicago may be more challenging.
Tips on How to Organize Tea Parties in Chicago
Organizing a tea party in Chicago can be an exciting and rewarding experience for everyone involved. To ensure that your event goes off without a hitch, it’s essential to take some time to prepare beforehand. Here are some tips on organizing an unforgettable tea party in Chicago:
- Set your budget: Before you start planning any details, it’s essential to set a budget so that you know exactly what you can spend on food, decorations, entertainment, and other event elements. Consider whether the event will be catered or if you’ll need assistance from a local catering company.
- Choose a venue: Establishing where your tea party will take place is essential for ensuring that your guests are comfortable and have enough space for mingling and conversation. Whether you pick an outdoor garden or one of Chicago's many indoor venues - like museums, libraries, or theatres - think about how the setting will enhance the experience of your guests as well as the specific needs of your event when selecting a location.
- Have fun with decorations: Decorations are an integral part of almost any tea party – from elegant floral arrangements to themed tablecloths or colorful teapots filled with candy or treats. When selecting decorations for your tea party, think about what type of atmosphere you would like to create - formal or relaxed. Perhaps try unique centerpieces or incorporate memorable photos into the decorating scheme!
- Plan delicious food: No tea party is complete without delicious snacks! Whether it's scones with clotted cream and jam, finger sandwiches, petit fours (tiny cakes), meringues, or homemade cupcakes - make sure your menu reflects the theme of your event while keeping everyone satisfied throughout the entire duration.
- Make clean-up easy: The last thing anyone wants at the end of their tea party is to do all the clean-up themselves! Look into hiring someone who specializes in post-event clean up so that all you have to do after attending this special occasion is bask in its success!
Famous Locations in Chicago
- Harold Washington Library Center
The Harold Washington Library is not only one of the most recognizable buildings in Chicago, but it's also a popular event venue. The library regularly hosts lectures, film screenings, and other cultural events. The building is a bold Postmodern masterpiece that tells a story through its dozens of symbols. From its massive footprint to its exaggerated ornamentation, the Harold Washington Library is truly one of a kind.
- Willis Tower SkyDeck
Dating back to 1974, the view of Chicago from the Willis Tower is simply incredible. The SkyDeck, located on the building's 103rd floor, and the glass box known as the Ledge are the highlights of the building. Visitors can get a glimpse of the city below from the glass floor of the Ledge.
- Shedd Aquarium
The Shedd Aquarium demystifies aquatic life, with exhibits covering diverse regions of the world. Kids absolutely love the Polar Play Zone, where they can don their favorite animal costume. The Stingray touch tank is another favorite, with stingrays filled up in a tank just waiting to be petted.