Toronto is the capital of Ontario and the largest city in Canada. Sitting on the northwestern shore of Lake Ontario, it has a rich history shaped by its geographic location and cultural diversity. With its bustling downtown core, picturesque waterfront, and vibrant cultural life, Toronto is one of North America’s most exciting cities.
In 1867, Toronto became the capital of the Province of Ontario, southeastern Canada. Then, the city grew exponentially, with waves of immigrants coming to pursue their dreams in a haven away from their war-torn countries. This made it one of the world's most multicultural cities, which can still be seen today in its unique blend of cultures and cuisines.
Today’s Toronto is home to many winter wedding venues that offer stunning views and great amenities for couples looking to tie the knot in this fantastic city. Whether you're seeking an intimate gathering in one of Toronto's many cozy restaurants or a grand affair at a luxurious hotel ballroom overlooking the lakefront skyline, you're sure to find something that perfectly reflects your vision and captures all that is special about this spectacular Canadian city!
Winter Wedding Options in Toronto
When it comes to music, winter weddings provide a great opportunity to really get creative. Consider hiring a DJ who specializes in winter-themed music or put together a playlist of your favourite winter songs. You can also ask your DJ to mix in some festive holiday tunes to get everyone in the spirit.
For a winter wedding, comfort food is always a good choice. Stick with hearty dishes that will warm your guests up from the inside out. Rich soups, creamy pasta dishes, and slow-cooked meats are all great options. And don't forget about dessert! Winter is the perfect time to indulge in rich, decadent sweets like chocolate truffles or freshly baked pies.
- Event Planners
An experienced event planner can be a lifesaver when it comes to planning a winter wedding. They will have all the latest information on venues, vendors, and designs and can help you navigate the often-challenging task of planning a wedding during the holiday season.
Winter Wedding Vendors in Toronto
- The St. Royals
The St. Royals are a Toronto-based live music and entertainment company that specializes in weddings and private events. With a wide range of musical styles to choose from, The St. Royals can provide the perfect live music for any event. From high-energy funk and soul to mellow Motown and R&B, the band has something for everyone. And with a custom-tailored performance designed to fit your specific event vision, their team can make any wedding or event truly unforgettable.
Scottify provides entertainment for weddings, birthdays, and corporate and youth events in the Greater Toronto Area. It was founded in 2016 by Scott, who is a crowd favourite when it comes to DJing. The company has since expanded to include a photo booth, a day-of wedding planner, and various special lighting options. Whether you're looking for a fun way to capture memories or add some extra pizzazz to your event, Scottify has you covered!
- YUM YUM Catering
Yum Yum Catering offers gourmet catering services for any type of event. Their onsite personal executive chef and live cooking stations create a unique experience for your guests. They have catering packages for breakfast, lunch, plated dinners, or buffet-style events. In addition, the team provides upscale BBQ catering, wedding catering, and party rentals. Their staff of professional servers and bartenders will make sure your event is one to remember.
Pros and Cons of Winter Weddings in Toronto
Winter weddings have become increasingly popular in Toronto as couples look for unique and memorable ways to commemorate their special day. The season can bring some challenges, so it's essential to consider both the pros and cons of hosting your wedding during this chilly time. To help you make an informed decision, here are some of the top advantages and drawbacks associated with winter weddings in Toronto:
- A winter wedding could be more affordable than a summer one due to holiday discounts on venues and vendors.
- Winter weather can provide a unique backdrop for photography and video footage that would be difficult (or impossible) to achieve during other seasons.
- The cooler temperatures give guests plenty of time outdoors before settling down inside warmly decorated reception halls which can create great memories for everyone involved.
- Outdoor wedding ceremonies can be uncomfortable for some guests, so you must provide blankets or ensure everyone has adequate clothing to stay cozy throughout the proceedings.
- When planning a winter wedding, there are specific details you may need to pay closer attention to, such as ice removal services if needed or pathways cleared from snowfall.
- Some photographers may not be familiar with shooting pictures at night when light is limited; making sure you hire someone willing to take on nighttime shots is essential if you want beautiful photos to come evening time.
Tips on How to Organize Winter Weddings in Toronto
Organizing a winter wedding in Toronto can seem daunting, as there are many more factors to consider than a summer wedding. From choosing the right venue to finding ways to stay warm and cozy on the big day, a lot goes into planning a successful winter wedding in Toronto. Below are some tips to help you ensure your winter wedding is well-planned and executed.
- Start looking for venues early: While there may be plenty of beautiful outdoor locations for summer weddings, you'll likely have to look indoors for winter weddings in Toronto. This means looking at venues earlier than you would for a summer wedding so that you can secure a suitable space before other couples do.
- Choose appropriate clothing: Whether it's opting for thicker fabrics or layering up, you'll want to make sure both you and your guests stay warm throughout the ceremony and reception. Consider providing shawls or lap blankets as well!
- Invest in quality décor: With shorter days comes less natural light, meaning your décor will be even more critical when setting the atmosphere of your event. Invest in quality décor pieces such as candelabras, lanterns, and fairy lights to create an inviting atmosphere for your guests.
- Create a cozy atmosphere: Even indoors, it can get chilly during winter weddings in Toronto. To keep everyone comfortable, include warming items such as fire pits or cozy blankets so your guests can enjoy some time outside without freezing their toes off! If possible, set up heaters outside, too, for added warmth.
Famous Locations in Toronto
- Balmy Beach Park
Balmy Beach Park is a historic 7.3-hectare park in Toronto, Canada. The park was created in 1903 and boasts a variety of activities, including an outdoor fitness area, playground, and lawn bowling, as well as several trails for hiking or jogging. The Goodman Trail meanders along the beach and the boardwalk on the shore of Lake Ontario. You can even play a round of outdoor table tennis if you don’t mind the cold.
- Cedarvale Park
Cedarvale Park is a great destination for those who enjoy spending time outdoors. The park features four tennis courts, two sports fields, a baseball diamond, and a splash pad and playground for kids. In addition, it has an outdoor fitness area and an artificial ice rink that are perfect for staying active all year round. Whether you're looking to get some exercise or just enjoy the fresh air, Cedarvale Park is the perfect place to spend a few hours.
- Eglinton Park
Eglinton Park is a nine-acre park located on Eglinton west of Yonge Street. The park boasts five sports fields that can accommodate multiple activities, four tennis courts, a playground for children, two ball diamonds, and a wading pool that doubles as an ice rink. In fact, there are two man-made ice rinks during the winter months. The wading pool, playground, soccer pitches, baseball/softball diamonds, and public restrooms all together form the play area. There is ample parking on the side streets or in the underground garage at North Toronto Memorial Community Centre. The wading pool is only a few steps away from the parking lot.