Vancouver is an incredible city located in the South West corner of Canada. Known for its stunning natural beauty, vibrant culture, and ever-changing culinary scene, it provides a unique experience no matter what you’re looking for.
Some of the notable attractions found around Vancity include Stanley Park, a 1,000-acre natural oasis with over 8 million trees in the heart of the city, and Granville Island public market with its vast selection of fresh local foods. But one unique “Gasown” experience that has recently resurged is outdoor restaurant dining outdoors, bathed by beautiful views of the city’s vistas.
Several local restaurants offer innovative outdoor seating areas which allow diners to sample diverse cuisines while enjoying all that nature has to offer. Outdoor restaurant spaces in Vancouver favor special events like anniversaries, birthday dinners, and special other celebrations.
Outdoor Restaurant Options in Vancouver
Some popular decoration ideas for outdoor restaurants include stringing lights, setting up flower arrangements, and creating a focal point such as a dance floor or live band area. For a more sophisticated touch, use drapes and curtains to give the space a special feel.
Live bands are always a great entertainment option because they provide an extra layer of fun that everyone can enjoy. DJs are another great choice for outdoor dining establishments, and they’re able to set the perfect vibe based on the type of event and crowd.
- Security Services
Hiring professional security ensures that guests feel safe while enjoying themselves at the event site. This can include having guards stationed at entry points, checking IDs, patrolling the grounds throughout the event, and even providing medical assistance if needed.
Outdoor Restaurant Vendors in Vancouver
- Balconi Floral Design Studio
Balconi Floral Design Studio has been creating unique, one-of-a-kind designs for life's special moments since 2006. Their experienced designers craft custom arrangements to suit any occasion, from birthdays to weddings and anything in between. The Studio’s ever-changing selection includes premium designer roses, orchids, succulents, and plants of all shapes and sizes as well as terrariums and specialty items designed to bring a sense of beauty into your home or special occasion.
- Sons of Granville
The Sons of Granville are the perfect pick for any event that requires an acoustic touch. Their diverse style combines a viola, guitar, and Cajon to deliver musically emotive performances that will captivate any audience. This three-piece band brings a blend of familiar pop covers and energetic dance pieces which merge harmoniously with their rootsy original tunes.
- Blackstone Security
Blackstone Security is a trusted partner in the safety and protection of persons, property, and environments. Their range of services includes providing 24-hour coverage, concierge services, camera surveillance, and alarm response. The company’s cross-section of security solutions ensures that all clients are fully covered in any situation or circumstance.
Pros and Cons of outdoor restaurant spaces in Vancouver
As with any occasion, some factors should be taken into account before deciding if an outdoor setting is suitable for your group. Here are some pros and cons of choosing an open-air dining experience in Vancouver.
- Vancouver is renowned for its incredible vistas, and eating outdoors gives diners the chance to take in all its beauty while enjoying delicious food.
- Eating outdoors often means access to more creative dishes than those typically served at indoor restaurants due to fewer restrictions on kitchen equipment and storage availability.
- Studies have shown that spending time outdoors boosts mental health and elevates mood, so why not combine that benefit with a meal?
- When dining outdoors, expect the unexpected when it comes to weather conditions, as conditions can change quickly throughout the year.
- There are risks related to insects or other animals coming near the food which could lead to contamination or illness if not taken care of properly.
- Most outdoor establishments have limited seating space and depending on the number of expected guests, you might have to make alternative arrangements.
Tips on How to Organize outdoor restaurant spaces in Vancouver
If you're planning a special outdoor event in Vancouver and want it to be flawless, these helpful tips will set your restaurant space up for success. Taking the time to plan appropriately is key when organizing an outdoor occasion that everyone can enjoy.
- Weather: Ensure your space is equipped with appropriate weather protection for your guests; this may include parasols or canopies if the weather is unpredictable. If you plan to host a nighttime event, pick a spot near adequate lighting and comfortable seating options such as cushioned chairs or benches.
- Decorations: With the help of florists or interior designers, create an inviting atmosphere with decorations that fit the theme of your event. This may include hanging paper lanterns or string lights around the area, using tablecloths and centerpieces to enhance the decor, adding plants to soften the atmosphere, and displaying artwork along walls.
- Music: Carefully select acoustics that matches both your event's vibe and audience; consider hiring a DJ or booking live entertainment like acoustic bands or solo performers if you're looking for something more engaging. Make sure any sound systems you use are not too loud so they won't disturb other guests at nearby establishments.
- Catering Services: Depending on your budget and needs, hire professional caterers to deliver the food and beverages or have staff serve dishes from the restaurant's kitchen. Estimates should be obtained from potential vendors before making any commitments, and don't forget to add in taxes!
- Permits & Licenses: Check local regulations regarding outdoor permits needed for special events held within public spaces. Some areas require specific licenses depending on what type of liquor you intend to serve during the gathering.
Famous Locations in Vancouver
- Vancouver Chinatown Millennium Gate
Vancouver's Chinatown Millennium Gate is a beautiful and grand marvel that sits at the entrance to Vancouver's famous Chinatown. This prominent gateway and cultural symbol were built to commemorate the turn of the new millennium. This architectural beauty is guarded by two foo lions, one male, and one female, each perched atop a white and blue pillar that stands three stories high. The gate itself is adorned with images of people wearing different traditional Chinese outfits, as well as an eye-catching color blend of traditional Eastern and modern Western designs.
- North Shore
With spectacular views and an array of trails from easy to challenging, North Shore is sure to please every outdoor enthusiast. Start with hikes along the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, it's a great way to dip your toes into nature. Once you've had enough of flat terrain, don't miss out on the North Shore mountains - Grouse Mountain or Mount Seymour boasts breathtaking panoramic views and provides a challenge even for experienced hikers. Don't forget to bring your camera; some of the most stunning photographic opportunities can be found on Vancouver's North Shore trails!
- Maplewood Farm
Maplewood Farm, located just a stone's throw away from downtown Vancouver, is the perfect place to take your family for an exciting and educational experience. Guests can get up close and personal with a variety of animals including horses and goats, as well as 200 farm animals and birds. Plus, unlike many other attractions where you feel like an observer, here you are part of the day-to-day operations of the working farm, which includes watching milking demonstrations and sheep shearing.