Vancouver is a coastal city in the Canadian province of British Columbia. It is known for its stunning natural beauty, vibrant culture, and bustling economy. Located on the western edge of the continent, Vancouver is home to one of Canada’s most diverse cities, with over 50% of residents being foreign-born. From meandering forests and glacial peaks to sweeping coastlines and lush green parks, Vancouver offers an array of outdoor activities. It is also home to several universities, top-rated restaurants, cultural attractions, and museums that attract tourists from all around the world.
Being one of the densest cities in North America, Vancouver has plenty to offer when it comes to wedding venues. From grand Italian villas, wineries, and luxury hotels to modern city lofts — whatever your preference is — the sparkling city of Vancouver has a diverse range of exquisite venues perfect for hosting any special event. There are also some remarkable private estates in this beautiful Canadian metropolis where you can treat your guests to a memorable experience full of culinary delights from Italy's rich gastronomic culture. No matter the size or grandness you have in mind for your wedding or event, this magnificent city has the ideal Italian venue ready for you.
Italy Wedding Options in Vancouver
A wedding photographer can help capture all the wonderful memories of an Italian-themed wedding. They will be able to take photos of the setting, decorations, and guests in attendance, giving couples beautiful memories to look back on for years to come. Professional photographers typically have a portfolio of their past work that couples can peruse to get a better sense of their style and quality.
An Italian-style wedding is incomplete without authentic Italian food. Professional catering companies will be able to provide delicious dishes that reflect traditional cooking styles from across Italy. From antipasti platters to freshly made pasta dishes, a caterer will be able to provide authentic Italian flavors that will please any palate. The catering company can also arrange for a selection of freshly prepared appetizers and desserts, including gelato stands and mouth-watering Tiramisu cakes.
Music plays an important role in any Italian celebration — no matter what size. Traditional folk songs from Italy are always popular choices as they emphasize family ties while creating a cheerful atmosphere that gets guests in the mood for dancing. Couples may also want to consider hiring professional musicians or DJs who specialize in playing Italian music genres like Mediterranean dance music or classical operatic pieces for a more formal feel.
Italy Wedding Vendors in Vancouver
- Thomas Beckman
Thomas Beckman is a highly talented violist and composer with an impressive list of accomplishments to his name. He is one of the founding members of Sons of Granville, an instrumental band, and serves as the Composer-in-Chief for Artists for Conservation — a renowned artist group devoted to protecting the environment. Thomas’ viola playing can be customized to fit the tone desired, creating a perfect balance between classic repertoire and modern pop songs. His expertise as a versatile performer and vast experience stretching over a decade give him excellent insight into how to make your event unforgettable.
- Nadia Hung Photography
Nadia Hung Photography is a professional wedding photographer based on the stunning coast of Vancouver, boasting 20 years of experience with a film camera. Throughout her career, Nadia has been blessed to travel the globe, photographing some of the most breathtaking settings in existence and collaborating with the best that the wedding industry has to offer. Her goal is to help capture your special day in its entirety, creating timeless keepsakes that will bring forth all the joy and wonder you felt on your big day when viewed years later.
Focacciaza is a unique experience in Vancouver, bringing gourmet Focaccia to the mobile culinary scene. Featuring organic and locally sourced ingredients, it is an ultra-green option for those looking to take their event up a notch. The knowledgeable owner Johannes has a wide-ranging background in Italian cuisine, boasting a diploma in culinary arts as well as experience working on bio-integrated farms and cooking at award-winning restaurants across North America. Focacciaza's zero-emission food cart and biodegradable packaging make it perfect for any special occasion or location, with additional options for appetizers, salads, drinks, and desserts available upon request.
Pros and Cons of Italy Weddings in Vancouver
Organizing a wedding in an Italy-style venue in Vancouver offers couples the opportunity to experience the charm and culture of Italy right at home. While it can be an exciting adventure, there are both pros and cons to consider before making a decision.
- Most Italian-styled venues will provide you with an elegant setting for your special day. You’ll enjoy traditional Italian décors, such as marble floors and classic sculptures, as well as beautiful frescoes and tapestries.
- An Italian wedding can incorporate traditional elements such as throwing confetti and symbolic gestures like exchanging coins or rings for good luck.
- In Vancouver, it's easy to find venues with breathtaking views overlooking the ocean or mountainside that make for beautiful photos and memories that will last a lifetime.
- Due to its popularity among couples looking for a more upscale experience, the availability of Italy venues can be limited during peak wedding season.
- You may have difficulty finding certain items such as decorations or flowers that fit with a traditional Italian theme since these will likely have to be imported from Italy itself.
- Due to Vancouver's strict noise ordinances, you may have difficulty finding a venue that allows loud music or singing late into the night — something customary at many Italian weddings.
Tips on How to Organize Italy Weddings in Vancouver
Planning an Italy-style wedding in Vancouver, Canada can be a daunting task. Here are some tips to help you make your dream of a romantic Italian wedding come true.
- Book a venue with the perfect outdoor space for an Italian-style wedding. Consider spaces like gardens, vineyards, and parks that provide the right backdrop for your special day.
- For an authentic touch, include elements of traditional Italian culture into your ceremony and reception such as incorporating live music or adding handmade paper decorations from Rome to the tables.
- Make sure your invitation design reflects the theme of your wedding. Opt for light colors typically associated with romance along with a design element inspired by Renaissance painting or architecture.
- Stock up on bottles of local wine sourced from nearby wineries in order to bring out the true Italian flavor at your reception. Additionally, serve up delicious gelato during dessert which is sure to be a hit among guests.
Famous Locations in Vancouver
- Chung Collection
For a fun history lesson, make your way to UBC's main library building and explore the Chung Collection on the lower level. This special exhibit tells the colorful story of BC's early Chinese immigrants and the golden age of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. It features everything from romantic travel posters and brochures to a sparkling steak dinner service, plus an amazing scale replica of the Empress of Asia's vessel. If you're lucky enough to visit on Wednesday at 11 am, you can join a free public tour of UBC's Rare Books and Special Collections department — make sure to keep an eye out for some Harry Potter artifacts.
- Gassy Jack Statue
The Gassy Jack Statue is an iconic landmark of the bustling heart of Vancouver, located in Maple Tree Square. The 10-foot bronze statue was erected in 1970 as a tribute to the man responsible for sparking Gastown's transformation into Vancouver — John 'Gassy Jack' Deighton. Legend has it that in 1867, on arrival to this city with nothing but whiskey barrels, he built the first saloon which spawned a thriving settlement and eventually a town. Today, the statue stands as an often photographed reminder of Vancouver's storied past and its connection to hard work and taking risks.
- Maple Tree Square
Maple Tree Square is a source of intense pride for Vancouverites — it marks the spot where it all began. This downtown intersection features an iconic statue of 'Gassy Jack' Deighton, the pub owner who gave the city its name and was also present at the first city-council meeting held under a maple tree. History spills out of every corner around here: the Byrnes Block, the oldest Vancouver building still in its original location, has just been restored to its former glory. Don't forget to stroll down Carrall St too; it's like stepping back in time with its array of picturesque heritage architecture, some built shortly after the city's Great Fire of 1886.