Manchester is a cosmopolitan city known as “the industrial powerhouse of the North” due to its strong industrial heritage. Located in the North West of England, it is renowned for being one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United Kingdom and has a unique blend of music, art, food, and fashion that sets it apart from other cities.
Manchester's landscape is incredibly diverse, with grand Victorian edifices and modern skyscrapers dotting a vibrant urban landscape. From textile mills to engineering works, Manchester has been at the forefront of economic growth, leading to an abundance of historic buildings and monuments throughout the city. It stands at the centre of a Greater Manchester region that encompasses 10 boroughs across 573 square miles, presenting plenty of creative opportunities for event organisers who wish to make use of its many historic venues or brand-new spaces.
Whether you’re looking for a conference space within one of the city's many modern hotels or a 19th-century warehouse venue, you won’t find yourself short of options here in Mancunia! The city's unique history and architecture offer something special for every event organiser, no matter what type of event they are planning to host.
Event Options in Manchester
- Event Planners
An event planner specialises in the coordination of activities, vendors, and services for events both large and small. To help ensure that the day runs smoothly, they will take into consideration all elements from food to entertainment. They can also recommend vendors and suppliers for every aspect of the event from florists to sound technicians.
A professional decorator or set designer will be able to transform an ordinary space into something special for any occasion. From balloons to themed backdrops, they have ideas to suit any budget as well as good contacts with other specialist suppliers, such as florists or furniture hire companies, who might be needed on the day. Their expertise in decor can help create a unique atmosphere at any event.
Music is an important part of any party or celebration, so hiring a professional DJ or musician can be a great way to create some energy without taking away from conversations between guests. Manchester has a wide selection of talented musicians and bands to choose from, whether you’re looking for a traditional brass band or more contemporary electro-pop.
- Photographers and Videographers
Professional photographers and videographers are essential if you want lasting memories from your event, whether it is capturing candid moments throughout the night or creating stunning videos afterwards that you can share online. Aside from having trained eyes behind the lens, having someone who knows about lighting equipment means they can capture beautiful photos even in low-light conditions indoors!
Event Vendors in Manchester
- Taylor Lynn Corporation - TLC
Taylor Lynn Corporation (TLC) is a leading events management company in Manchester, UK. Founded by entrepreneur Liz Taylor, TLC has been providing exceptional event services for nearly 30 years. The company offers comprehensive planning and management solutions for corporate and private events of all sizes, from lavish weddings to small business conferences. Their team of experienced professionals has worked with a wide array of top corporate clients and celebrity names, establishing TLC's reputation as an industry leader. With their wealth of expertise and dedication to perfection, TLC guarantees the most outstanding events every time.
- OH MY GOSHT Photography
OH MY GOSHT Photography is a creative and professional photography company located in the North of England. The company specialises in a wide range of events and corporate services including conferences, parties, celebrations, proms, graduations, and more. They have been working with individuals, businesses, schools, and charities for many years. OH MY GOSHT Photography provides natural as well as posed shots to capture all your special memories in high-resolution images that are delivered via digital download within three working days of the event. They also offer an open-air vintage photo booth made of recycled walnut wood.
- Groovy Revolution
Groovy Revolution is a professional five-piece party and wedding band that specialises in performing exciting medleys and mashups of some of the best party tunes from the ‘60s to the present day. Based in Cheshire and Manchester, their experienced musicians have played at numerous events across the UK, as well as overseas. From corporate functions and weddings to bars, clubs, hotels, and universities, Groovy Revolution can provide vibrant entertainment for any occasion. Their repertoire includes music from artists such as The Jackson 5, Maroon 5, Rihanna, and more. Whatever the event or venue, they are dedicated to providing a night that won’t soon be forgotten.
Pros and Cons of Event Spaces in Manchester
Manchester is a vibrant and exciting city to organise events, offering an abundant number of options for unique venues. While these spaces can provide convenience and help create a memorable experience, there are a few factors to consider before deciding to host an event in Manchester.
- There is a wide range of entertainment options for attendees to enjoy during their stay, including concerts, theatre shows, restaurants, pubs etc.
- The city has excellent transport links with a large number of buses, trains and trams around the city centre.
- Event organisers will have access to diverse populations and demographics from all parts of Greater Manchester that will help maximise attendance potential.
- Manchester has a well-established infrastructure for managing events such as security firms, catering companies, and other service providers.
- Event organisers will have the opportunity to benefit from the creative energy that Manchester can offer; this may help create a memorable experience for attendees.
- There is limited availability of parking due to limited spaces surrounding venues in most parts of the city centre.
- There is a potential disruption caused by large public gatherings or demonstrations that may take place occasionally throughout the year.
- Poor weather conditions during certain times of the year may lead to fewer attendees than expected or even cancellation if necessary precautions are not accounted for ahead of time.
- Certain areas within Manchester can be quite noisy due to their proximity to busy streets or railway tracks, which can affect your event’s atmosphere.
Tips on How to Organise Events in Manchester
Whether you are hosting an event in Manchester for a small group of friends or an entire community, ensuring the space is organised and well-thought-out can be key to making sure your next event is successful. Here are some tips to ensure that it runs smoothly:
- Choose the Right Venue: Selecting a venue that is appropriate for your type of event and audience size can be essential for having a successful gathering. Be sure to check amenities such as seating capacity, parking, lighting, bathrooms, and any additional features that could be helpful for your guests.
- Develop a Floor Plan: Once you have selected the venue, develop a floor plan based on the layout and size of the room. Think about how people will move around and where certain activities will take place, such as lectures or demonstrations. Use furniture to block off areas if needed and consider what type of seating would be most comfortable for attendees.
- Maximise Your Space: Utilise every inch of available space by hanging items on walls or utilising ceilings and other vertical surfaces for banners or decorations. Hang signs or directions to direct guests throughout the area if needed and incorporate any props or pieces of equipment into the design to create visual interest without taking up too much space.
- Utilise Signage: If potential attendees need directions or information about where certain activities will take place while at the event location, consider using signs throughout the venue so that people can easily find their way around without interruption or confusion.
- Prepare for Emergencies: When planning an event in Manchester, it's crucial to prepare emergency procedures in case of unexpected situations such as medical emergencies, fire alarms, or power failures. Ensure that everyone involved is aware of their roles so they can respond promptly and prioritise safety during the event.
Famous Locations in Manchester
- Manchester Museum
The Manchester Museum is a place of wonder for those interested in natural history and social science. As an institution owned by the University of Manchester, the museum prides itself on showcasing an array of fascinating displays. From archaeology to archery, botany to geology, and numismatics to zoology, the exhibits cover a multitude of topics. However, the highlight of the museum is undoubtedly the Egyptology section, which houses an impressive collection of mummies and other artefacts from Ancient Egypt. Visitors can also explore the work of Dr Richard Neave, who has reconstructed faces of people who have been dead for thousands of years, using pioneering techniques that are now employed in criminal forensics.
- Gnome Island
The Manchester Ship Canal was a major feat of engineering, connecting the landlocked city of Manchester to the Irish Sea. For almost a century, it was a vital hub of industrial activity, until the docks were eventually decommissioned in 1984. Today, one of the derelict concrete islands left behind by the canal is home to a collection of gnomes. The group, which has grown significantly since the arrival of the first gnome, Gnorman, in 2017, has become a popular attraction for visitors to the area. While the identity of the person or group responsible for placing the gnomes on the island remains a mystery, their presence serves as a quirky reminder of Manchester's industrial past.
- Castlefield Basin
Castlefield Basin is a designated urban heritage park that offers visitors a chance to explore Manchester's fascinating history. A walk through the carefully restored Victorian homes, former factories around the old canals, or reconstructed Roman Fort is an excellent way to immerse oneself in the past. The canal is lined with many warehouses that have been restored and repurposed into offices, shops, hotels, and restaurants. The Bridgewater Canal, constructed in 1764 to transport coal from the Worsley mines to Manchester, is a key attraction worth exploring. Cultural experiences abound as well, with the Bridgewater Hall showcasing the talents of the renowned Hallé Orchestra, while the Castlefield Art Gallery features exhibits of contemporary art.