Toronto, the largest city in Canada and home to diverse cultural festivals, boasts a history stretching back centuries. It was initially inhabited by Huron-Wendat and Petun First Nations people in the 17th century and became a site of a French trading post. Nowadays, this metropolitan hub offers visitors many exciting attractions and activities that can be experienced year-round!
Garden wedding receptions have long been a popular event, and the tradition sticks to date. Whether a classic English garden or more traditionally Japanese shindig, couples can find something to suit their style at one of the selections of garden wedding reception venues in Toronto.
In addition to providing a beautiful backdrop for photos, these spaces offer plenty of areas for seating, ceremonies, and other activities. From lush green lawns to intimate courtyards tucked away in downtown back alleys, Toronto offers an array of stunning outdoor locations for couples to celebrate their big day.
Garden Wedding Reception Options in Toronto
- Wedding Officiant
A wedding officiant is a professional who presides over a couple's marriage ceremony, ensuring that all traditions and regulations concerning the union of two people in matrimony are adhered to. The officiant typically leads the couple through the exchange of vows and rings with poise and dignity. They also guide other aspects of the ceremony, such as readings and music selections.
Flowers are an essential part of any garden wedding reception. Various blooms create stunning arrangements and bouquets, adding beauty and romance to the day. Depending on the season, popular choices include roses, calla lilies, peonies, dahlias, hydrangeas, and orchids. A florist can help couples choose the right type and combination of flowers for their special day.
- Personal Chef
Personal chefs can develop a perfect menu and help set up the food station at a garden wedding reception. These culinary experts work with couples to customize menus that incorporate their preferences as well as seasonal ingredients and local flavors. Popular ideas include gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches paired with tomato soup shooters, pan-seared scallops with vegetable succotash, or slow-roasted pork loin with roasted potatoes.
Garden Wedding Reception Vendors in Toronto
- Officiant Sarah Bunnett-Gibson
Sarah Bunnett-Gibson is a distinguished officiant specializing in crafting and conducting heartwarming, personalized, and unforgettable ceremonies. With over 25 years of experience as a wedding minister since being ordained in 1991, she has earned an excellent reputation among couples and industry experts throughout the Greater Toronto Area. Clients can expect a beautiful, meaningful, and intimate ceremony that will exceed their expectations and create cherished memories to last a lifetime.
- Periwinkle Flowers
Whether you're marking a birthday, welcoming a new arrival, or simply letting someone know they're on your mind, Periwinkle Flowers can assist. The team is committed to producing exceptional, hand-crafted designs using only the freshest blossoms available. They source their flowers from local Ontario growers whenever possible, ensuring their arrangements are of the highest quality.
- The Ellery Market & Catering
The Ellery Market & Catering is committed to using locally sourced ingredients to prepare diverse menus of takeaway items and farm-to-freezer meals. From crisp salads and hearty soups to delectable sandwiches, they offer a range of options that will satisfy any craving. They also offer event catering services.
Pros and Cons of Garden Wedding Receptions in Toronto
Garden wedding receptions are a popular choice for couples looking to get married in Toronto. The beauty of nature and the convenience of a large city makes this option attractive to many brides and grooms. There are pros and cons to hosting your reception in a garden, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference.
- Hosting your reception at a garden venue allows you to enjoy the stunning scenery of Toronto’s natural landscape, with plenty of greenery and floral arrangements for a beautiful backdrop.
- Gardens typically require less décor than other venues, saving money on decorations and set-up time since most gardens come ready to go.
- Couples can take advantage of outdoor activities such as lawn games or photo booths that might not be feasible indoors.
- There is something special about an outdoor gathering that helps create an intimate atmosphere, making it easy for guests to mingle and connect.
- Outdoor events are exposed to elements like rain, strong winds, or extreme heat/cold, which could put a damper on your big day.
- Unlike traditional indoor venues, gardens typically have limited space which can restrict the number of guests you can invite or certain activities you may want to include.
- Most neighborhoods have noise ordinances that may limit late-night festivities, depending on where you host your event.
- Outdoor venues are more prone to bugs and other forms of wildlife, which could pose a problem for some guests if not appropriately controlled.
Tips on How to Organize Garden Wedding Receptions in Toronto
Garden wedding receptions in Toronto are perfect for couples who want to celebrate the start of their new life together close to nature. Not only is there an opportunity to create a beautiful setting that reflects the couple’s personalities and styles, but it also provides a chance to make lasting memories with friends and family. However, organizing such an event can be overwhelming, so here are some tips on ensuring your garden wedding reception goes off without a hitch.
- Choose the right venue: Look for outdoor venues with plenty of space for seating and entertainment. Consider the size of your guest list when deciding and the availability of amenities like restrooms, power outlets, and parking. You should also think about whether or not you will need to rent additional furniture or decorations.
- Pick a theme: Keeping a consistent theme throughout is essential if you want everything from the decorations to guests’ attire to reflect the couple’s style and personality. When deciding on a theme, consider what type of food, drinks, and music you would like as part of the celebration.
- Create a timeline: When planning an outdoor event in Toronto, you must account for unpredictable weather patterns. To be safe, create a timeline that includes backup plans in case of rain or other inclement weather conditions.
- Get a strong team on board: It may be necessary to hire servers or bartenders depending on the size of your guest list and menu selection. Ensure you have enough staff available so that all guests are cared for during the night so they can enjoy themselves without worry.
- Invest in quality lighting: Quality lighting is essential when hosting an outdoor wedding reception since ambient light levels can be low at dusk or later in the evening. String lights or lanterns are great additions that will help create an inviting atmosphere for your guests.
Famous Locations in Toronto
- Winchester Square Park Community Garden
The Winchester Square Park Community Garden in Toronto is a picturesque and lively hub for urban agriculture. With twelve elevated garden beds, the community garden offers access to land within the city parks system for those seeking to cultivate their plants. Though once a source of contention, the garden has become one of the neighborhood's most beloved spots. Its vibrant colors, lush greenery, and majestic beauty are impossible to ignore for anyone passing by.
- St. James Town
St. James Town is a densely populated neighborhood in Toronto, just east of the downtown core. It is home to one of North America's largest high-rise apartment complexes, with over 18,000 residents living in just 19 towers. The community is incredibly diverse, with people calling St. James Town home worldwide. Despite its past reputation for poverty and crime, the neighborhood has undergone significant revitalization efforts in recent years, including establishing community gardens and green spaces. St. James Town is a unique and vibrant part of Toronto that continues to evolve and transform.
- Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Garden
The Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Garden in Toronto is a beautiful and serene spot to relax and enjoy the scenery. Located at Civic Centre, this garden boasts plenty of benches for visitors to sit on and enjoy the lush greenery. The garden is well-maintained and offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Whether you're looking for a quiet place to read a book or want to soak up some sun, the Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Garden is worth a visit.