About New York
New York is an important urban center, home to over 8 million people and the world-famous sights of Times Square, the Empire State Building, and Central Park. For many visitors, it's the city that never sleeps; for locals, it’s an endlessly exciting metropolis full of possibilities. Vibrant neighborhoods burst with unique cultures, cuisines, and entertainment options. But there’s something else that New Yorkers are well-known for: their underground party scene.
From downtown lofts to warehouse raves in Brooklyn and Queens, New York knows how to throw a good party — especially an underground one. Here you can find some of the most avant-garde DJs spinning everything from classic house music to modern electronic beats. Pop-up parties also take place at museums and art spaces scattered around the five boroughs. You may even stumble across secret speakeasy-style venues tucked away in hidden alleyways or under dive bars.
No matter what kind of vibe you’re looking for — sleek and sophisticated or underground grunge — there’s a venue in New York to meet your desires. Whether you want a wild night out or just some laidback drinks with friends, plenty of places cater to any need. And if you ever get lost in this sea of options? Just follow the sound – you're sure to find something fun eventually!
Underground Event Options in New York
If you are looking for a photographer to capture the essence of your underground event, NYC has an exhaustive list of experienced photographers. Most are renowned professionals who have worked with some of the biggest companies and brands. They have the unique ability to capture the energy, excitement, and moving moments at any event, and it is something that comes through from their portfolio of works.
Whether you are hosting a performance, fashion show, or social occasion, your event isn’t complete without food on the menu. The selections of NYC catering companies can deliver anything from gourmet dishes to simple snacks. Most of these professionals also offer full-service catering, including table-setting design and food service rentals.
- A/V Equipment
Regardless of the type of event, you will need A/V equipment for the occasion. The equipment rental companies in New York can supply everything you need, from lighting and cameras to sound and monitors.
All roads lead to the party supply stores in New York for event decor needs. Working with an underground venue might require a bit more effort in terms of brightening up the space. Perhaps include more electric lantern lamps and fairy lights to further illuminate the space.
Whether you are putting together a performance or product activation, it helps to have some entertainment lined up for the event. From DJs and live bands to mentalists and magicians, guests will enjoy having something to look forward to.
Underground Event Vendors in New York
- Swank Productions
Swank Productions is one of New York's most well-known event planners and designers. The company has extensive experience serving a contemporary, fashion-forward clientele, and they even received The Knot's “Best of the Best” stamp of approval. With a passion for lighting and visual design, dramatic decor, and lush flowers, they excel at creating events like no other.
- Creative Encores
Creative Encores is a team of event and media specialists with over 10 years of experience. They offer a variety of services to make your event a success, from vendor selection and event management to professional photography and videography. No matter what type of event you are planning, Creative Encores are ready to do the legwork leaving you with nothing else to worry about except enjoying the occasion.
- Beauty by Cherry Le
Beauty by Cherry Le believes that good makeup starts with feeling beautiful about yourself. They know that when you feel good about yourself, you radiate confidence and charm. That's why they are dedicated to helping glamming you and your team up for your photo shoot, fashion show, or other special occasions.
Pros and Cons of Underground Events in New York
Underground events in New York City have become increasingly popular over the past decade. They are unique experiences that offer an eclectic mix of music, art, and food, unlike any other city. While underground events bring a new level of excitement to the NYC nightlife scene, these events also come with pros and cons to consider.
- Underground events provide an opportunity for emerging artists to showcase their work. This includes live music performances from up-and-coming bands, unique visual artwork from lesser-known artists, and delicious bites from new restaurants.
- These events can be more intimate than those held in larger venues due to the smaller size of the space they inhabit.
- Underground events often feature open bars and can be inexpensive compared to larger venues or top-tier clubs.
- With many underground events only advertised via social media or word-of-mouth, they are exclusive and hard to find, which adds excitement for those lucky enough to attend one.
- Due to limited space available at underground venues, tickets may sell out quickly once announced, leaving some potential attendees out of luck.
- Depending on venue location and time restraints set by local government ordinances or regulations, underground event hours may have earlier closing times than traditional clubs or bars – sometimes as early as 1 AM on weekdays.
- As these events often occur in previously unused locations like warehouses or lofts, conveniences such as bathrooms may be scarce or unreliable - so be sure to go before you arrive.
- If not adequately managed, overcrowding can pose a significant risk at any event. This could potentially result in capacity issues at underground locations due to safety concerns within the minor space limitations imposed by officials before opening the doors.
Tips on How to Organize Underground Events in New York
There are several considerations that need to be made for everything to run smoothly. From finding the right venue and budgeting for services to ensuring the safety of guests and creating unique experiences, organizing an underground event requires a great deal of thought, expertise, and planning. To help make things easier, here are some tips on how to organize underground events in New York.
- Research your venue: Choosing the right venue is essential for organizing an underground event. It should have sufficient space for your guests, ideally located near public transportation, and legal parking options if necessary.
- Create a budget: Once you've decided on a venue for your event, it's essential to create a budget so that you stay within your financial constraints. Estimate what your expenses will be and set aside money for each category, such as marketing, food, or rentals.
- Promote your event: Effective promotion is vital when it comes to spreading awareness about your event. Utilize social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram to reach potential attendees and use promotional materials like flyers or posters strategically around town.
- Ensure safety: When organizing an underground event, it's essential to keep safety top of mind at all times. Have security personnel present during the entire duration of the event and have medics standing by just in case something goes wrong.
Famous Locations in New York
- The Basilica of St. Patrick's Cathedral Catacombs
The 200-year-old Basilica of St. Patrick's Old Cathedral sits atop ancient catacombs that are generally not accessible to the public. However, an official 90-minute tour can take you through the spooky underground labyrinth. This is the final resting place for many notable New Yorkers, including the Delmonico family and Honest John Kelly of Tammany Hall. The catacombs are dark and spooky, but the tour is led by a friendly and professional guide who will ensure you have a safe and memorable experience.
- The Freedom Tunnel
The Freedom Tunnel is a long-abandoned stretch of railroad resting beneath Riverside Park in New York City. It got its name from graffiti artist Chris "Freedom" Pape, known for his stunning work in the space. The tunnel was a haven for graffiti artists until Amtrak began using it again in 1991. Today, the Freedom Tunnel still draws many urban explorers, but it's no longer the hidden passage it once was.
- McCarren Park Pool Tunnels
The McCarren Park Pool Tunnels are a beautiful underground oasis found in the middle of the city. These tunnels, which offer access to an underground drainage and piping system, have been recently renovated and are now open to explorers. They are a truly unique find in an urban environment, and gaining access isn't strictly legal. However, several people have still chronicled their ventures into the pool's catacombs.