Toronto is Canada's largest city and an international hotspot of culture, art, entertainment, and gastronomy. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, it offers urban residents access to a treasure trove of attractions and scenic natural beauty. It’s also home to one of the most famous basketball teams in the world – the Raptors.
With its vibrant blend of culture come some of Toronto's best events. From underground raves to late-night poetry readings, there’s something for everyone who loves socializing.
Ontario’s capital enjoys all four seasons: warm springs, hot summers, cool falls, and cold winters. While it’s a lovely destination year-round, the winter can be a major downfall for many events because Toronto gets over 120 centimeters (47.5 inches) of snow yearly. But if you are partying underground, that's no longer an issue.
Whether you are looking for an underground dance club or event space, you can find it in Toronto. The underground venues in Toronto are popular among music fans and event organizers, as they often offer a more intimate setting than traditional concert halls or event venues.
Underground Event Options in Toronto
Hiring event staff is a great way to ensure your underground event goes smoothly. Event staff can help with everything from setting up and cleaning up to running errands and assisting guests.
- Furniture Rental
Renting furniture for your underground event can add a touch of class and sophistication. Furniture rental companies offer various pieces, including couches, chairs, tables, and bars.
Music is an essential part of any underground event. Whether you want to hire a band or DJ or simply provide some ambient music, make sure that the music fits the mood and tone of your event.
Underground Event Vendors in Toronto
- D&D Party Rentals
Since 1979, D&D Party Rentals has offered clients event rentals and dependable service and experience in the specialized events sector. Preparing for a festival, birthday party, underground event, fundraiser, or even a company picnic can be quite stressful. The success of that occasion is a reflection of you and is a lot of pressure to deal with, but D&D Party Rentals is here to assist. They have everything, from the tents to the dance floor, for any get-together. They can also refer reliable caterers, decorators, florists, photographers, videographers, and venues at your convenience.
- DJ Daddy Entertainment
DJ Daddy Entertainment provides mobile disc jockey and live music services personalized for every event. Their team is dedicated to helping clients create an incredible event that meets expectations by working with them every step to ensure their vision comes to life. DJ Daddy Entertainment is dedicated to providing top-tier service with a team of experienced DJs who know how to get the underground event started and keep it going all night.
- Shiny Memories Toronto
Shiny Memories Toronto began its photo booth business in 2019, which aims to provide an interesting and unique method for clients to commemorate their events. Shiny Memories Toronto is tech-savvy and always uses the most up-to-date software to ensure you have the most pleasant experience possible. Rental services are also available for business gatherings, private parties, weddings, underground events, and more.
Pros and Cons of Underground Events in Toronto
Underground events are becoming popular in Toronto, with more and more places offering the opportunity to experience something unique. These events provide an alternative to traditional nightlife, from live music concerts to secret galleries and unmarked locations. However, organizing an underground event can come with its own set of pros and cons.
- Events held in non-traditional spaces foster more open-mindedness as there is less emphasis on societal norms and expectations.
- Underground events can be less expensive to organize than corporate venues or high-end locations due to their independent nature.
- Guests can access eclectic music genres and performances that may not make it into mainstream venues, exposing them to different cultures and perspectives.
- It can be easier to promote the event online since many underground communities have established online networks that help spread the word about upcoming events.
- Because of their unregulated nature, underground events can sometimes cause problems with local police or governments if proper paperwork is not filed beforehand.
- Without proper safety protocols or staff present, there is an increased risk of physical harm or injury occurring at the event due to overcrowding.
- These types of events require proper planning and organization. Without adequate resources such as staffing or funding, organizers can struggle to keep up with all necessary tasks involved in running an underground event responsibly.
- Depending on permit requirements, organizers may need additional permits/licenses if alcohol will be served at the event (which can be costly).
Tips on How to Organize Underground Events in Toronto
Organizing an underground event can be an exciting and fulfilling experience. However, it does require a great deal of planning to ensure the success of your event. Here are some tips on how to plan and organize an underground event in Toronto:
- Location, location, location: Choose a relatively easy venue to get to that won't cause too much disruption if it's discovered.
- Keep things low-key: Don't publicize the event too widely, or you'll risk getting shut down before it starts.
- Be prepared for anything: Make sure you have a backup plan in case of emergencies and keep all your supplies (including food, water, and first-aid kits) hidden away until the night of the event.
- Organize in advance: Get everyone who's participating on board well in advance and make sure everyone knows what their role is.
- Have fun: This is your chance to let loose and party without worrying about getting caught. So make the most of the experience and enjoy the day (or night).
Famous Locations in Toronto
- Hart House
Hart House is a center for experiential education that offers services to students and community members at the University of Toronto. This organization uses a social enterprise model to generate revenue, which goes back into supporting student-focused programming on all three campuses. Within a breathtaking neo-gothic structure, local facilities include a theatre, art gallery, library, swimming pool, gymnasium, and meeting rooms. It is one of the most popular places on campus and hosts various events yearly.
- Sherbourne Common
Sherbourne Common is a must-see for any visitor to Toronto. The park opened in 2012 and offers stunning views of the waterfront and city skyline. It was designed by world-renowned landscape architect Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates and formed part of Waterfront Toronto's East Bayfront precinct. Sherbourne Common is a large park with several city blocks, open green spaces, an ice rink and splash pad that alternate with the seasons, and a water channel with three grand public art pieces. The sculptures tower nearly 30 feet high over the 800-foot-long waterway for a breathtaking sight.
- Crothers Woods
Crothers Woods is a popular urban retreat home to a 10-kilometer network of nature trails, diverse bird populations, and stunning views of the Toronto skyline. Crothers Woods was designated as parkland in 1959 in the Don Valley near Toronto. Today, the 400-hectare park is known for its wildlife, ranging from deer and coyotes to hawks. It's also a hub for outdoor recreation like hiking, biking, and bird watching. With nearly 10 kilometers of trails to explore, it's easy to spend a day hiking and getting lost in nature without ever leaving the city.