About New York
The culture of New York City is excitingly eclectic, bringing together various types of people from all backgrounds. A hub for innovation and entrepreneurship, lots of the world's greatest minds have called New York home including Alexander Hamilton, Walt Whitman, and Eleanor Roosevelt. The city is also a popular filming location, with iconic attractions such as the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, and Times Square often seen on the big screen.
Filming on location at a creative office space in New York is ideal for interior scenes where an upbeat office setting is warranted. These spaces are often full of character, ranging from industrial warehouses to modern loft apartments, giving filmmakers the freedom to shape their production however they desire and explore innovative concepts that otherwise may not have been possible.
Creative office spaces have a colorful and interesting aesthetic, thanks to their chic furniture and decorations. Whether it’s a contemporary film or a marketing video, shooting at a creative office space fosters a modern vibe that lends itself well on screen.
Creative Office Space Options in New York
- Production Companies
Production companies provide professional services such as casting, crewing, location scouting, and equipment rental. They work with filmmakers to check that their projects are completed on time and budget. Production firms are knowledgeable about the legalities of filmmaking, such as obtaining the necessary permits and insurance for production.
- Security Services
Security personnel can ensure that no unauthorized persons enter the premises, monitor access to sensitive areas or appliances, and respond quickly to any incidents that occur. They may also be used to screen potential vendors and service providers before allowing them onto the premises. All in all, these services will assist protect a film crew from theft or vandalism while working on location.
- Custom Clothing
Costumes create a unique appearance for your cast or crew when filming in imaginative workspace settings. Businesses specializing in custom apparel can design and manufacture costumes tailored to fit specific characters or situations. This can help create an immersive feeling on set and add more depth to your project’s visuals.
Creative Office Space Vendors in New York
- Pluck Studio
Pluck Studio is a video agency with locations in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. The company specializes in 3D animations and live-action videos for brands and advertising agencies. They have won over 30 awards and featured on networks like Discovery Channel, Hulu, and NHK. From TV commercials to brand films, Pluck will create impactful content that will leave an impression on anyone who sees them.
- Bethany Joy Costumes
Founded in 2014, Bethany Joy Costumes provides custom clothing for TV, film, opera, theater, dance, concerts, personal fashion, and other performances. The shop is located in Manhattan’s garment district and prides itself on creating clothes that fit well and have design subtleties that only theater artisans can make. Their work has already been featured in Broadway and regional theater shows, performances by Madonna and Janet Jackson, opera singers, and various TV shows and movies.
- Four Star General Cleaning Service
For over 30 years, this janitorial company has been catering to the needs of businesses in the metro area. Whether it's commercial offices, medical facilities, warehouses, factories, banks, retail stores, or churches, the firm is equipped to handle any cleaning job, big or small. And don't worry about harmful chemicals—they proudly use eco-friendly supplies. Plus, with 24/7 cleaning schedules available, the establishment can work around your busy schedule.
Pros and Cons of Creative Office Spaces in New York
Working in a creative office space in New York provides many advantages and disadvantages for artists. Here is a look at both of them.
- Easy to customize: An indoor film location is easier to control in terms of lighting, weather, and noise that may affect the shoot.
- Variety of Spaces: Whether searching for an open courtyard or rooftop terrace, there is likely an area within one of these spaces that can accommodate any filmmaker’s needs.
- Inspiration: A creative office space fosters a stimulating environment that can spark new ideas related to the project.
- Cost: With New York being one of the most expensive cities in the world, keep in mind that you’ll need to allot enough budget for the rent.
- Limited Space: Due to the smaller size of most creative offices, filmmakers may face restrictions when it comes to equipment and personnel needed for their projects. Contemplating this ahead of time will help avoid any surprises once shooting begins.
- Noise Pollution: Taking into consideration nearby construction sites or other busy areas can help minimize any unexpected sounds while shooting inside or outside the building.
Tips on How to Organize Filming in Creative Office Spaces in New York
Are you searching for innovative office space in New York to film your next project? Filming in the heart of Manhattan can be an excellent opportunity that will look good on your portfolio, but it comes with some added considerations. Here are some tips on how to best organize the process:
- Get familiar with local laws and regulations: Before scheduling any filming ventures, be sure to do your research and check out the legal requirements that may affect your production. From permits and insurance needs to noise ordinances, there are enough factors to think about when choosing a location.
- Consider sound levels: With street noise, passing cars, or nearby businesses, sound levels can be an issue when filming in creative office spaces in New York. If possible, set up speakers outside of the building to ensure you keep noise at an acceptable level within range.
- Hire experienced personnel: Depending on what type of production equipment is needed, it may make sense to invite expert staff who know how to operate and manage complex systems like cameras or lighting rigs. These professionals will help ensure that everything runs smoothly during filming sessions, while also keeping protection a top priority.
Famous Locations in New York
- Goosepond Mountain State Park
Nestled in the heart of Orange County lies a hidden treasure. This oasis boasts lush forests and serene hiking trails, making it the fitting escape from the hustle and bustle of town life. Horseback riders and nimble hikers alike can embrace the great outdoors without the disturbance of modern amenities like toilets and ample parking. And if you're a dog parent, don't fret—your furry friend is welcome, as long as they're leashed up tight.
- Wyckoff Street Mosaic
In 2001, just after the 9/11 tragedy, Susan Gardner embarked on a mission to create a mosaic on the facade of her brownstone home in Boerum Hill. With buttons, shells, broken cups, and old CDs, Gardner's artistic vision grew to become an iconic symbol of the neighborhood. Despite initially starting the project without many consultations from her neighbors, the community soon rallied behind her, as they watched the intricate design stretch up to the second-floor windows—and even onto the iron fence. When she's not teaching at Yeshiva University, Gardner gladly discusses her work with passersby and continues to celebrate her mosaic with pride.
- Neue Galerie New York
Prepare to be transported to turn-of-the-century Germany and Austria at this unique museum in the heart of the metropolis. Devoted entirely to fine and decorative arts from this era, you'll find yourself surrounded by stunning works by the likes of Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele. Not only can you admire these masterpieces, but also explore a bookstore, a high-end design shop and even stop for some Austrian cuisine and a decadent pastry in the Old World-inspired Café Sabarsky. Housed in a beautifully renovated mansion that once belonged to the architects of the New York Public Library, this establishment is a must-see for any art lover.