Philadelphia is loved around the world for its unique culture, vibrant historical presence, and attractive urban atmosphere. Being the sixth largest city in the United States, it offers many great attractions such as long walking trails with beautiful sights of the Schuylkill River, great shopping centers along North Broad Street, and thriving nightlife districts like South Street. Not to mention some of the most memorable sports teams in the nation: the Eagles, Flyers, 76ers, and Phillies.
Meanwhile, celebrating special occasions in Philadelphia is a must – its historic star-lit streets are beloved for romantic dates or other events demanding added excitement. You’ll also find a huge range of unique event venues to choose from, plus options galore in terms of food and entertainment. Better start planning that next celebration now!
Special Occasion Options in Philadelphia
Philadelphia has many businesses that provide balloon services for special occasions. These businesses can provide everything from helium tanks and balloons for decorating the event space to balloon animals for kids' entertainment.
Numerous Philadelphia businesses provide memorable music for special events. Options include bands, DJs, solo artists, and even string quartets, so look for a musical act that can help you create the right ambiance for your celebration.
If you're looking for a caterer in Philadelphia, there are plenty of options to choose from. They can provide gourmet sit-down meals, five-star canapes, or just snacks and drinks — whatever the occasion demands.
If you need security, waitstaff, bartenders, or any other type of service personnel for a special occasion in Philadelphia, many staffing vendors can help. Compare a range of companies to find the best people for the job.
Special Occasion Vendors in Philadelphia
- Westmont Party
For almost 40 years, Westmont Party has been the go-to party shop for residents of South Jersey and Philadelphia. From balloon decor to party rentals and in-store retail items, they have everything you need to make your next event a success. Westmont Party is constantly growing alongside its customers and community, making sure that every event is one to remember.
- Philadelphia Catering Company
The team at Philadelphia Catering takes a hands-on approach to ensure that your event is a success. They understand the importance of time and quality in the business world, which is why they always go the extra mile to provide the best value to their corporate clients. Whether you’re planning an event for 10 or 2000, they can work with you to create a menu that will tantalize your guests’ taste buds and leave them wanting more. Plus, their team will take care of all the logistics so that you can relax and enjoy the event without worry.
- Rittenhouse String Quartet
Rittenhouse String Quartet provides live music for events, concerts, and private functions. The members of the team are highly professional and work together to deliver an unforgettable musical experience. They offer a wide range of services, from chamber music to full orchestras, in all kinds of settings. Rittenhouse has built a strong reputation over the years and enjoys good relationships with promoters and clients all over North America.
Pros and Cons of Special Occasions in Philadelphia
There are many pros and cons to having a special event in Philadelphia. Consider them all before deciding where to host your important occasion.
- Philadelphia is a beautiful and historic city with something to keep everyone entertained, not to mention a huge range of venues to choose from.
- There are endless food and entertainment options available when you’re organizing everything for your event.
- Philly boasts a great transportation network and is easily accessible from right around the country, so it’s the perfect place to host a special celebration.
- Special occasions can be quite expensive, especially if you want to enjoy all that Philadelphia has to offer.
- Traffic and parking can be a nightmare in Philadelphia during special events, so it's important to plan if you're driving into the city.
- Crowds can be overwhelming at times, particularly in popular tourist areas, so keep this in mind when choosing a venue.
Tips on How to Organize Special Occasions in Philadelphia
Planning a special occasion in Philadelphia can feel overwhelming. To ensure the event you’re planning goes off without a hitch, it’s important to be organized and well-prepared. Here are several tips on how to organize special occasions in Philadelphia with more details and facts for a successful event:
- Make sure you book your venue early: In order to secure your spot and avoid disappointment, it’s crucial that you book your venue as soon as possible, preferably several months ahead of time if possible. This also gives you plenty of time to plan every detail of your event and make any necessary changes down the line.
- Think about food options: If you’re planning an event with multiple guests, then food is going to be an important factor when it comes to making sure everyone has a good time. Consider whether you want to serve a meal or just appetizers, if there will be alcohol served, and what type of cuisine would work best for the occasion. You could hire a caterer or even provide the food yourself if this is more cost-effective for you.
- Hire entertainment if needed. Depending on the type of special occasion being planned, entertainment can really add something extra and make the night truly memorable for all involved. Consider hiring a DJ or band for music entertainment or perhaps some live performers such as actors or magicians; it all depends on the kind of atmosphere you want to create for your guests!
- Consider decorations that fit with the theme. Decorations can help set the tone for any special occasion in Philadelphia and reflect who is attending as well as what kind of atmosphere people should expect from their experience at the event itself. Whether it’s balloons, streamers, flowers, or anything else, choose decorations that match up with whatever theme you have chosen so that everything looks cohesive and visually pleasing when put together.
- Make sure staff members are aware of their roles in advance. Having dedicated staff members who know exactly what they need to do is key when running any large-scale event successfully – make sure everyone knows their role before arriving so there are no surprises on the day!
- Have a contingency plan ready just in case something goes wrong. Being prepared means always having backup plans ready just in case something does go wrong during an event; never leave things too much to chance when organizing any sort of big celebration. Having backup plans ready – including alternative locations for activities or additional staff members coming in – will help keep stress levels low and ensure everything runs smoothly despite any unexpected hiccups along the way.
Famous Locations in Philadelphia
- Liberty Bell
The Liberty Bell is one of the most recognizable symbols of the United States. The Pennsylvania State House's steeple, which housed the bell from 1752 until 1869, was demolished in 1932. To remember the 50th anniversary of William Penn's charter for Pennsylvania, a bell was commissioned and hung in the State House steeple starting in 1752. In 1776, the bell was tolled to signal the reading of the Declaration of Independence, and it quickly became a symbol of the Revolution. The bell was also used to call meetings, as well as ring church bells, and mark important occasions. In 1846, while being rung during a ceremony in Philadelphia, the bell cracked owing to an error made by its maker. Despite its damage, the bell continued to be rung on patriotic occasions until 1885, when it was permanently retired from service. Today, the Liberty Bell is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Philadelphia and remains an important symbol of American freedom.
- Edgar Allan Poe's House
The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site is a great place to learn more about the renowned American author. The site includes the only remaining residence of Poe known to exist today. In addition to touring the house, visitors can also explore a museum dedicated to his life and work, where they can see some of his personal belongings. The museum also features rotating exhibitions on various aspects of Poe's work. By visiting this site, tourists gain valuable insight into Poe's time spent living in Philadelphia as well as information about him as an individual. The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site is a great place to learn more about this important American author.
- The Rocky Statue and the “Rocky Steps”
The Rocky Statue, based on the 1982 film Rocky III, and the "Rocky Steps" have become two of Philadelphia's most popular tourist attractions. The bronze statue immortalizing Rocky Balboa, the fictitious hero who became the city's unofficial underdog mascot, is known colloquially as just the Rocky Statue. If you've seen the movie, you’ll know that there's an iconic scene where our protagonist runs up a huge set of stairs — those very stairs are located at Philadelphia’s Art Museum. This has become an iconic symbol not just of Philly, but also of determination and hard work. Every year, thousands of people try to climb the 72 Rocky Steps, making them one of the most famous movie settings in the world.