Explore Philadelphia, the fifth largest city in America and the biggest metropolis in Pennsylvania. Situated at the confluence of the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers in North East USA, Philadelphia has a long history and played a crucial role in the country's interesting past. It's where The Declaration Of Independence and the Constitution were signed in 1787.
Philly also boasts an exciting arts & culture scene with many professional sports teams rooted here for decades. Plus, its popularity among movie producers means that there have been recent back-to-back hits, all filmed in the city's studios and scenic locations.
Philadelphia is an attractive filming location because of its inherent diversity and different architectural styles. Additionally, many studio spaces in Philadelphia can accommodate any production size, from small indies to major Hollywood films. The combination of historical significance and modern vibrancy makes Philadelphia an excellent choice for any film or TV project.
Film Studio Options in Philadelphia
Lighting for a film studio shoot is essential for producing the highest quality visuals. It must be carefully planned and executed to match the desired look of the production. Studio lighting typically includes a full rig with plenty of technicians that can easily adjust settings and positioning as needed.
A successful film studio shoot requires a large crew who know their roles and can work together effectively to ensure smooth production. The team usually consists of a director, script supervisor, camera operators, sound mixers, grips, gaffers, and lighting technicians to set up and operate the equipment. There are also producers to coordinate logistics, art directors to design sets, and craft services personnel such as cooks, caterers, and other hospitality staff to provide food and beverages on set.
Film studio shoots require specialized equipment to capture high-quality visuals. This includes cameras, lenses, tripods, and dollies for capturing images, lighting rigs with various fixtures for illuminating scenes, professional audio equipment, and more. This soon adds up in cost and logistics.
- Food & Beverage
On a film studio shoot, craft services provide catering options that meet the needs of the cast and crew. Meals are typically delivered between shooting blocks or lunches, depending on the production schedule. Food options range from breakfast items such as eggs benedict or pancakes with bacon strips to hearty entrees like pasta dishes and sandwiches. Beverages include coffee/tea selections along with juices/smoothies and occasional alcoholic drinks after filming has wrapped up for the day.
Film Studio Vendors in Philadelphia
- New Era Catering Services
New Era Catering Services is a food catering firm that specializes in flavorful Nigerian and American cuisine. Their fast and casual concept is ideal for fast-paced movie and TV sets where lunch has to be moved around the sometimes unreliable shooting schedule.
- Addison Artists
With Sean Addison at the helm, Addison Artists has a wide range of experience in booking events and finding emerging artists. Sean has booked artists including Brandi Carlile, Dawes, and Jackson Browne, as well as other big names like Idina Menzel, Amos Lee, and Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company.
- Parties with Brown
Parties with Brown offer a wide range of party and equipment rentals to suit every occasion. Whether you're planning a birthday party, or need equipment and rigging for an indie movie set, their wide range of options is competitive and affordable. Not every project is going to have a Hollywood budget, after all!
Pros and Cons of Film Studios in Philadelphia
Filming at studio spaces in Philadelphia can be a great way to bring your creative vision to life and film different scenes without leaving the site. Here are the pros and cons of filming at film studio spaces in Philadelphia.
- Film studios in Philadelphia provide access to a wide range of professional-grade equipment, from cameras and lights to sound systems and editing suites.
- Whether you’re looking for an old factory or a modern office complex, Philadelphia film studios have plenty of options for finding the perfect setting for your project.
- There is a wealth of industry professionals throughout the city who can provide expertise on everything from casting to the crew to marketing.
- The talented crews from Philadelphia's many film studios bring years of experience and knowledge to ensure projects run smoothly and efficiently.
- Although there are plenty of low-cost locations around town, renting a space at one of Philadelphia's professional film studios will come with significant cost considerations.
- Given their popularity among filmmakers, securing dates for shooting projects can often be challenging due to limited availability at certain times.
- Depending on the location you choose for shooting, parking may prove difficult due to traffic restrictions or a lack of nearby parking garages.
Tips on How to Organize Film Studios in Philadelphia
Organizing a film shoot at a studio space in Philadelphia can be an exciting and complex process. From scouting to setting up the necessary equipment, there is much to consider when attempting to create a successful shoot. Here are some tips for organizing filming at studio spaces in Philadelphia.
- Scout potential locations and venues ahead of time: Research the different studio spaces available in Philadelphia and their respective amenities and features. Make sure that the site matches the needs and vision of your project.
- Work with locals: Connect with a local production company or service provider who can help you with any additional needs. This will ensure that your production runs smoothly with all necessary materials and personnel ready and available.
- Research relevant resources for filming in Philly: Film commissions or other city services can provide additional support during your shoot. Take advantage of these connections to maximize your project's success while ensuring compliance with local regulations related to filming in public areas.
- Reach out to other professionals who specialize in shooting films within the city: These professionals may have insights or advice on how best to approach shooting at studio spaces in Philadelphia and can provide valuable information regarding any potential challenges you may face during filming.
Famous Locations in Philadelphia
- LOVE Park
Located in the heart of the city, LOVE Park, a fixture in Philadelphia for decades, is recognized worldwide as a symbol of that warm, fuzzy feeling. This much-loved destination boasts a delightful mixture of lush greenery, walking routes, and open paved spaces perfect for celebrations or festivals. LOVE Park never fails to astonish its visitors with something new, from a Christmas village during wintertime to mobile food vendors as well as pop-up stores all year round.
- Please Touch Museum
The Please Touch Museum is a one-of-a-kind attraction for children of all ages. This creative museum stimulates learning through play, with exhibits that explore the history, fantasy worlds, space, and the vast universe around us. Kids can dress up and pretend to be other professionals in the kid-size city or test their water skills in the River Adventures exhibit. The Please Touch Museum is the perfect activity for a fun and educational day out with the family.
- Philadelphia Zoo
The Philadelphia Zoo is one of the United States' oldest zoos, and it's easy to see why it’s been a popular family destination for decades. The zoo is home to different species, including monkeys in the Primate Reserve and lions and tigers in Big Cat Falls. Beyond being a great source of entertainment, the Philadelphia Zoo is also working to raise awareness about environmental conservation and rehabilitation. They hope to educate visitors on how human activity can negatively impact the earth and its inhabitants.