Philadelphia is the "City of Brotherly Love" - a moniker that certainly rings true. The grand city of Philadelphia has an incredible historical significance for the United States, having served as the nation's first capital and home to Ben Franklin, one of America's most influential Founding Fathers. Home to some of the most iconic landmarks in the country, including Independence Hall, Philadelphia is also renowned for its world-class restaurants, vibrant arts scene, and warm hospitality.
Though much of Philadelphia's cultural activity takes place on land, nautical activities have been integral to its identity throughout history. From William Penn, who built docks along Philadelphia's waterfront for trading goods from around the world in 1700, to today's recreational sailing teams and numerous yacht clubs and marinas in and around the area, maritime heritage remains strong in Philly.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, many people choose to host events at marine locations in and around Philadelphia. Several venues cater to special occasions such as weddings or corporate functions, ranging from upscale yacht clubs to classic riverfront restaurants. These marine locations offer unique experiences, but they all have one thing in common: they create lasting memories for guests that will be cherished forever.
Marine Event Options in Philadelphia
Florists are a great way to add color and style to an event at a marine location. A florist can identify appropriate plants or flowers for the space that will enhance its natural beauty but still be able to stand up against elements such as wind, rain, and saltwater spray. They can also provide expertise on which types of arrangements would best suit different areas of the venue, from terraces to decks.
- Fireworks Display
A fireworks display is a great way to end any event at a marine location. It's an impressive spectacle that can be tailored to fit the desired theme, with displays ranging from classic sparkles to intricate shapes and colors. Professional pyrotechnicians can provide dazzling shows over the water and ensure everyone enjoys it safely.
- Live Music/Entertainment
Live music can set the mood for an event on the water, something upbeat enough to keep everyone in good spirits without being too loud or interrupting conversations between guests. Local acts specializing in genres such as jazz, blues, or folk music often have experience performing at events near water locations, so they can be great options.
Marine Event Vendors in Philadelphia
- Ten Pennies Florist
Their commitment to providing beautiful, fresh arrangements for any occasion has earned Ten Pennies Florist a loyal customer base that continues to grow. Whether you need a simple bouquet for an everyday celebration or an elaborate arrangement for a marine event, Ten Pennies has got you covered. Their drivers deliver same-day all over Philadelphia, ensuring your arrangement arrives as fresh as possible. With a team of talented floral designers who put love, dedication, and personalization into every piece they create, you can trust that your marine event will be successful.
- David Zipse
David Zipse is a versatile and highly skilled pianist whose love for music spans many genres. With a background in classical music and a love for jazz and rock and roll, he has a large and diverse repertoire that will delight audiences at your marine event. Whether performing at festivals, weddings, corporate events, or clubs, David always brings his A-game with various musical offerings, including solo piano, rock duos, jazz trios, and wedding bands.
- Louis Capet XXVI - Laser Shows + Music Publishing
With thousands of shows produced since its establishment in 1996, Louis Capet XXVI Laser Light Shows has worked with international artists and has been seen in numerous states across the US, Canada, the Virgin Islands, and Central America. Their licensing by the FDA and FAA for indoor and outdoor shows in all 50 states speaks volumes about their commitment to safety and professionalism. With partners around the globe, their access to state-of-the-art technology and event services is unparalleled. When time and budget are key considerations, Louis Capet XXVI can deliver a quality laser show at your marine event.
Pros and Cons of Marine Events in Philadelphia
Organizing an event on a waterfront in Philadelphia can be an exciting endeavor, as the city offers stunning views of the Delaware River and its surrounding areas. However, it’s important to consider the many advantages and disadvantages of such a location before signing any contracts.
- Spectacular Views: The waterfront provides unparalleled views of the city’s skyline, as well as access to an array of unique attractions such as historic ships, water sports, and other activities.
- Good Weather: With plenty of sunshine during summertime and mild temperatures throughout the year, Philadelphia is a great destination for comfortable weather conditions.
- Variety Of Venues: From historical sites along the Delaware River Walk to modern hotels with conference centers, there is something for everyone in Philadephia.
- Potential Hazards: Safety is always paramount when planning events in marine locations due to potential hazards from windy conditions or rough waves.
- Noise Restrictions & Regulations: Marine locations have strict noise restrictions that can limit musical performances or other loud activities during your event.
- Unpredictable Weather Conditions: Waterfront events can also come with unpredictable weather conditions, leading to scheduling delays or cancellations if not appropriately managed.
Tips on How to Organize Marine Events in Philadelphia
Planning an event in a marine location can be challenging because of the specialized requirements and environment. It's crucial to consider the distinct elements of a marine setting when organizing an event. Here are some suggestions to ensure that your event goes smoothly.
- Establish a Good Floor Plan: A well-thought-out floor plan allows for easier navigation and more efficient operations, as guests will know where to go. Consider how many people you expect and your planned activities before creating a suitable floor plan. Make sure there is adequate space for each activity or station and seating for the comfort of your guests.
- Provide Adequate Lighting: Marine locations can get quite dark at night due to their lack of natural light sources, so having ample lighting is key for any nighttime events. Using different types of lighting fixtures, such as string lights or lamps, provides additional light that creates an inviting atmosphere while illuminating pathways and walkways for safety purposes.
- Supply Security Personnel: Hosting activities in marine locations can bring up security concerns, so hiring qualified personnel who can ensure the safety of your guests and property is essential. Providing patrols around the area throughout the event is essential, as well as establishing heightened security measures like metal detectors or bag checks at certain points if necessary.
- Utilize Natural Features: When organizing an event at a marine location, use the area’s natural features, like greenery or waterfront views, to enhance your environment. Incorporating elements like benches or tables along a shoreline adds an extra element that makes the experience more enjoyable while taking advantage of your unique surroundings.
- Be Prepared For Weather Changes: Marine locations are prone to weather changes since they are exposed directly to nature’s elements, such as wind and rain. Having proactive measures in place helps foster organizational success no matter what Mother Nature throws at you. Make sure you have backup tents in case it rains during your event, and consider how quickly you could move activities indoors should bad weather appear without warning.
Famous locations in Philadelphia
- African American Museum in Philadelphia
Established in 1976, the African American Museum in Philadelphia is a testament to African Americans' rich history and contributions to the country. It holds the distinction of being the first museum in the US established for the sole purpose of showcasing the life and legacy of African Americans. From exhibits that highlight the incredible achievements of notable Philadelphians such as Richard Allen and Octavius Catto to the fascinating displays on the Underground Railroad - a network of secret routes and safe houses used by slaves seeking freedom in the 19th century - this museum is an invaluable resource for people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Betsy Ross House
The Betsy Ross House is a must-visit spot for anyone interested in America's rich history. While there is controversy about whether America's first flag was made here, it doesn't stop thousands of tourists from visiting. The tour has an interactive game for kids, which adds a playful touch to the educational aspect of the visit. Even if you're not a history buff, the Betsy Ross House is an engaging destination that provides a unique glimpse into America's past.
- Bolt of Lightning. . . A Memorial to Benjamin Franklin
Standing tall and gleaming in the Philadelphia sky, the Bolt of Lightning sculpture is a stunning tribute to Benjamin Franklin's iconic experiment. Designed by Isamu Noguchi, this stainless-steel marvel captures the electrifying beauty of a lightning bolt frozen in time. The sculpture's location at the base of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge and Franklin Square adds to its grandeur, creating a fitting memorial to one of America's greatest inventors and statesmen. As visitors stand at its base, they can't help but feel the electrical charge that pulsates through its sleek lines and curves, making it a must-see destination for anyone visiting the City of Brotherly Love.