About New York
New York is the nation’s most populous city and the center of the country's media, entertainment, and publishing industries. It is also a significant fashion capital and a global center for finance and diplomacy. The Big Apple is a cosmopolitan city, and its diversity is reflected in the food, architecture, music, and arts scene.
The City That Never Sleeps also has a bustling nightlife, and most entertainment spots stay open until 4 AM. It is home to some of the world's most iconic landmarks, from the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building to Central Park and the Museum of Modern Art. The city's vast attractions make it a popular destination for both business and social travelers.
The Big Apple also harbors several hidden gems worth discovering. There are plenty more similar spots and different unusual venues in New York perfect for events and corporate functions.
Unusual Event Options in New York
If you're looking for food service that will add some oomph to your event and make it stand out even more, look no further than New York's uniquely talented catering companies. From gourmet food trucks to traditional Jewish delis, the city has a catering service to suit every taste and budget.
- Make-up Artists
New York is home to talented and creative makeup artists and hair stylists who can create looks that range from natural and understated to over-the-top and outrageous. Whether you're looking for something special for your wedding day or want to add some extra glamor for your next night out, a professional make-up artist can help you achieve the perfect look.
It is every host’s joy seeing their guests dancing and having a good time. You are assured of keeping your guests on their feet with an entertainment company in New York spicing up your event. The companies can connect you with DJs, live bands, theatrical performers, and other entertainers who would add a unique twist to your unusual event.
It is best to hire a professional photographer to have luminous photos that encapsulate your event for a lifetime. The lists of photographers in New York are ready to turn up armed with cameras, lighting, and other equipment needed to document the day. Depending on your preferred style of photography, be it formal or creative candids, a proficient photographer should be able to execute what you envisioned and exceed expectations.
There is just something about unusual and flowers that go hand in hand. Whether you have your heart set on hosting a wedding at an abandoned mansion or celebrating a special occasion at a decommissioned warehouse building, floral arrangements can soften up the space and introduce points of interest. New York’s florists can deliver unique, custom floral displays for any occasion.
Unusual Event Vendors in New York
- Two Moon Art House and Cafe
Two Moon's shortbread cookies offer unique flavor combinations that are perfectly executed. They kid you not when they say their cookies are lovingly made because every mouthful backs it up. The packaging is also top-notch, and the overall presentation is very professional. The company's "grown-up" cookies pair well with coffee, wine, and fine cheeses for diverse occasions.
- Balloons Of Elegance Designs
Balloons of Elegance Designs provides professional balloon decorating services for special events in New York. They have an extensive list of services, including supplying balloon columns, arches, centerpieces, bouquets, and customized balloon sculptures. Their friendly and professional staff will also work with you to bring your vision to life.
- Dress Up Your Party
Dress Up Your Party is a full-service party planning company that curates unforgettable celebrations. From birthday parties to weddings, Dress Up Your Party will work with you to design an event that is unique and reflects your style and personality. With a focus on attention to detail, the company will transform your venue into a visually stunning setting that will undoubtedly impress your guests and make yours a truly one-of-a-kind occasion.
Pros and Cons of Unusual Events in New York
Unusual events in New York are an exciting way to experience the city's thriving entertainment, culture, and history. But there are both positives and negatives that come along with participating in these events. Here is a detailed look at some of the pros and cons of attending unique events in New York City:
- With hundreds of unique activities available, finding something to fit any taste or interest is easy. From world-class performances to old-fashioned carnivals, there is no shortage of exciting ways to spend your time in the Big Apple.
- Many of these events are held throughout the five boroughs, so you can find a possibility within reach no matter where you are located.
- Attending an unusual event is a great way to learn about topics you may not be familiar with and get exposed to different cultures and customs.
- Experiencing unusual events can be incredibly entertaining! There’s nothing like getting out into the city and trying something new – especially if it’s something that goes against the norm.
- Since these types of activities tend to draw large crowds, they can sometimes become overly crowded, making it challenging to move around or enjoy all aspects of the event as desired.
- If budgeting isn't properly managed, then some activities may cost much more than anticipated due to hidden fees or other expenses associated with attending them (e.g., food/beverage costs).
- Some unfamiliarity is expected when attending unique experiences, but too much unfamiliarity could lead to feeling uncomfortable or even unsafe due to a lack of knowledge regarding proper etiquette or potential risks involved with certain activities (e.g., extreme sports).
- Most unusual venues are limited in space, so this means getting tickets ahead of time is necessary to ensure entry and avoid disappointment upon arrival at the venue.
Tips on How to Organize Unusual Events in New York
Organizing and hosting an event in New York can be daunting, but with the proper preparation, it can be a successful and memorable experience. Whether you are planning corporate functions or special occasions, here are some tips to help you organize unusual events in New York:
- Start planning early: Event planning can take months of preparation from start to finish. Create a timeline for yourself to ensure that all details are taken care of before the big day arrives. This includes researching venues, securing vendors, and scheduling all necessary services.
- Choose an interesting venue: When it comes to holding unique events in New York City, choosing an exciting venue is critical. Narrow down your search by deciding what type of setting will suit your occasion best – outdoor spaces like parks or rooftops or indoor locations like art galleries – and ensure all your guests feel comfortable in their environment.
- Incorporate fun activities: Consider offering interactive activities and entertainment options to add excitement to your event. Live music performances, food tastings, interactive games, or exhibits – there are many opportunities available throughout the city that will help keep your guests engaged and entertained throughout the evening.
- Hire professionals: From catering companies specializing in creating one-of-a-kind menus for every occasion to photographers who know how to capture every moment perfectly, having expert professionals on hand allows you to focus on enjoying your event rather than stressing over small details.
- Use social media: Utilizing social media platforms can help promote your event effectively and efficiently ahead of time. Crafting creative posts featuring visuals from past successful events at the same venue will draw attention from potential attendees on both platforms, allowing you to extend invitations quickly while creating a buzz around your upcoming event.
Famous Locations in New York
- The High Line
The High Line is one of New York City's most beloved parks. The public park, which used to operate as an elevated railway, has lovely horticulture, art pieces, seasonal food vendors, and diverse programming. It also offers breathtaking views of the Hudson River and the New York City skyline. This oasis provides a much-needed escape from busy city life for locals and visitors.
- Frick Collection
The Frick Collection is a world-renowned museum displaying European fine and decorative arts from the Renaissance period to the early twentieth century. Located on Madison Avenue, it allows visitors to examine some of history's most illustrious artists' works up close, including Rembrandt, Bellini, and Vermeer. The Frick Art Reference Library, founded by Helen Clay Frick in 1920, is available to researchers and the public for study purposes.
- The Times Square Sound Installation
Times Square is a well-known attraction, but what most visitors never get to experience is hearing the calming acoustics of its sound installation. Created in the ‘70s by Max Neuhaus, the calming art installation is found smack in the middle of Times Square. To experience it, you should stand at the pedestrian triangle between the 45th and 46th streets.