About New York
From its world-renowned landmarks to its thriving art, fashion, and culinary scenes, it's no wonder New York is dubbed "the city that never sleeps." When it comes to fascinating facts about it, there is no shortage. Did you know that NYC was created from two distinct Dutch settlements? Or that the city is home to over 800 languages? It's true! More than 36% of New Yorkers speak a language other than English at home. Moreover, over 24 million people visit Times Square annually - making it one of the most visited places on Earth! There are eight million residents in New York City alone, making it the largest metropolitan area in North America. You might be surprised to learn that there are more than 200 museums in NYC too.
One popular location for shooting movies, television shows, and commercials is the ground floor spaces of New York City’s many buildings. These spots allow for unique angles and a special contrast between the hustle and bustle of the street level with the towering skyscrapers above. Not only do these ground floor locations provide classic New York imagery, but they can also be used to create imaginative sets that look like anywhere from an old-fashioned cafe to a modern art gallery.
For directors searching to capture the full scope of the town, there are plenty of opportunities to film at ground level. From local bodegas to bustling markets to busy subway stations, these places offer a glimpse into authentic town life while providing filmmakers with an array of backdrops ranging from classic brick walls to contemporary glass facades.
Ground Floor Photoshoot Options in New York
Experienced masters capture the beauty of the space and bring out its best features with their unique style. They can also help compose shots and take advantage of lighting with their expertise in photography techniques.
- Floral Design
Floral design can add a beautiful touch to any ground floor space photoshoot. Plant arrangements may be used as backdrops for photos or placed throughout the space for a stunning effect. Working with experienced florists who know how to select the fitting flowers for each occasion will ensure great results from your photoshoot.
- Cleaning Services
Cleaning services are essential to any photoshoot by warranting everything looks neat and clean before the photo shoot begins. Professionals are invaluable during these projects, as they identify surfaces and materials like the back of their hands, so the experts will quickly determine which products to use for each area.
Ground Floor Photoshoot Vendors in New York
- Laura Boyd
Laura Boyd understands the power of transformation and supports women in expressing their inner and outer beauty. Through her empowering photography sessions, thousands of women have experienced a boost in their confidence as they explore what it means for them personally to feel in touch with their true self-worth. Whether boudoir, portrait, or branding photography, Laura Boyd is excellent at capturing venues like ground floors, warehouses, and other unique spaces for photoshoots.
- Brilliant Image Cleaning Service
Brilliant Image Cleaning Service shows an unwavering commitment to quality and attention to detail, which means you can expect superior results from each service. The firm's expertise covers all your commercial cleaning needs, from disinfection applications and spot-in-time cleaning to comprehensive janitorial services. Brilliant Image can help clean up the ground floor space for the photoshoot, ensuring your expensive equipment, props, and more do not get damaged or dirty during the photoshoot.
- B Floral: Event Design and Production
The firm is an acclaimed event design and production firm widely known for its dedication to unparalleled customer service and stunning design solutions. Whatever the nature of your gathering, whether corporate, private or a photoshoot on a ground floor venue, the experienced event managers at B Floral can completely transform an existing space into something beautiful and memorable. Event installations are tailor-made to express each client's unique style with gorgeous floral centerpieces and custom decorations.
Pros and Cons of Ground Floor Photoshoots in New York
Ground floor space photoshoots in New York City offer lots of advantages and disadvantages. Here are some key benefits and drawbacks of them in the Big Apple:
- Excellent selection of creative backdrops: From bustling city streets to well-known landmarks, there is something for everyone in NYC's diverse environment. This makes it ideal for capturing unique images or generating stunning themed photoshoots.
- High-quality infrastructure: Besides having modern transportation networks and a wide variety of services, New York also boasts world-class communication networks that make shooting on location quick and efficient.
- Accessibility: The ground floor allows easy entry to the spot, making it convenient for photographers who need frequent set adjustments or changes between shots.
- Space limitations: Due to the restricted size of most ground floors in NYC, it can be hard to fit all necessary equipment into the area without compromising image quality.
- Limited privacy: While ground floors offer plenty of creative backdrops, they can also attract attention from unwanted passersby or curious onlookers, which may be disruptive during photo shoots.
- Risk of inclement weather: As many spots have open roofs or balconies, unpredictable weather conditions may affect a shoot unless precautions are taken beforehand.
Tips on How to Organize Ground Floor Photoshoots in New York
Photographing ground floor spaces in New York can be a complicated endeavor. So here are some tips for making sure your shoot is a success:
- Secure permission - Ask the property owner or manager for authorization before starting any photoshoots on their grounds. If they deny access, respect their wishes and look for another place to shoot.
- Get organized - Before you begin, check your appliances are in order and ready to go. Have your camera gear ready and any props that may be necessary for the shoot.
- Choose a good time of day - It can make or break a space photography session. If possible, try to schedule shoots during off-peak hours when fewer pedestrians are around, such as early morning or late evening hours.
- Use natural light - Take advantage of natural brightness whenever possible rather than using flash photography or artificial lighting sources. Natural shining will bring out the best qualities of any space and will often lead to better results overall.
- Consider angles - Pay attention to where you position yourself when taking photos of a given venue—the angle can significantly affect how certain areas are captured on film. Experiment with various perspectives until you discover the best shot for your needs.
Famous Locations in New York
- Fort Totten
Just behind the MTA subway map legend lies a little-known piece of New York City history: Fort Totten. Built in 1862, it was designed to protect the city against Confederate naval attacks via the East River. Stocked with Nike missiles and other anti-aircraft artillery, it remained an active military base until the 1970s. Now it is an obscure city park located in Bayside, Queens. Freely open to visitors, Fort Totten offers a unique glimpse into those who lived here and served their country many years ago. With rusting cannons and vintage barracks, it's an adventure for those curious enough to explore.
- Harlem Meer
The picturesque Harlem Meer is a beautiful spot for families to enjoy nature. Designed initially to distinguish the former village of Harlem, this body of water offers visitors many ventures for leisure, including wildlife viewing of fish, turtles, and birds. For those looking to explore more, various other park-related tours and exhibits are available to participate in. Catch-and-release fishing can also be enjoyed at the meer, and skating and swimming at Lasker Rink just southwest of it.
- Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
Located within a stone-throw of the crowds of New York City, the location stands as an oasis for birds and nature lovers alike. Covering a massive 9,000 acres, it is renowned as a prime birding spot, especially as thousands of land and shore creatures flock here during their annual migration. Visitors to the refuge enjoy spotting over 330 species documented in the last 25 years!