About New York
New York City is one of the most iconic and amazing cities in the world and a popular destination for all types of travelers. With its vibrant culture, incredible landmarks and monuments, and delicious cuisine, it's no wonder so many people flock to the Big Apple every year.
Recently, same-sex marriage has become legal in New York state, and couples can now take part in beautiful gay weddings in The Empire State. From planning an amazing ceremony in a park or having a wedding at any one of the private homes across Manhattan, there are countless ways to make your special day truly spectacular.
When it comes to wedding venues for the ceremony, New York City offers something for everyone’s taste. You can celebrate in traditional settings like hotels or enjoy breathtaking views with rooftop receptions or a cruise down the Hudson River on a restored steamship. For those looking for something more low-key but still romantic, historic homes, rustic barns, and even boat charters are also available for your New York ceremony.
Gay Wedding Options in New York
There are plenty of talented makeup artists in New York who would be more than happy to do your makeup for your big day. Many of these artists specialize in wedding makeup, so you can be sure that you’ll look stunning on your special day.
New York is home to some of the best catering companies in the world. Whether you’re looking for an intimate meal or a grand banquet, you’ll find a catering company that can meet your needs. Many companies create custom menus for weddings, so you can be sure that you and your guests will be impressed.
If you’re looking for live music for your wedding, you won't be disappointed as there are so many options in New York that specialize in singing or playing at weddings. You can hire a band, a DJ, or even an orchestra to play at your reception!
New York is home to some of the best florists in the world. If you’re looking for someone to create beautiful arrangements for your wedding, you will not run out of options to choose from. Most of these companies sell flowers and bouquets by piece or in huge floral arrangements.
Gay Wedding Vendors in New York
- Rachel Cho Floral Design
Rachel Cho has been designing flowers for weddings and events in New York City for over 10 years. A native New Yorker, Rachel grew up in a family flower shop and has always had a passion for flowers and design. Rachel's style is clean and luxurious, with a focus on the natural beauty of each flower, stem, and leaf. She has an amazing eye for detail and a unique sense of design that allows her to create dynamic, elegant, and fresh floral arrangements.
- Sweet Basil Catering
Sweet Basil Catering is a premier full-service New York City catering company that prides itself on seasonal cuisine, stunning presentation, and incredible customer service. It has been named one of the best New York City wedding caterers and has been featured in New York Weddings Magazine, Brides Magazine, and Bloomberg News. The highly reputable team guarantees an unforgettable and effortless experience for clients and guests alike at any gathering, from Lincoln Center soirées to Wall Street luncheons or engagement parties.
- Jay Seth Photography
Jay Seth is an innovative photographer in the wedding industry. His style could be described as journalistic with a playful twist. He enjoys finding new and creative ways to capture couples on their special day, ensuring that each event is unique and different from the last. In addition to dramatic portraits, Jay Seth's team also excels at capturing intimate candids, making every moment memorable. He has an eye for detail and can make any subject feel comfortable.
Pros and Cons of Gay Weddings in New York
The state of New York has become an iconic leader in the fight for marriage equality and LGBT rights. In 2011, it was the sixth state to legalize same-sex marriage, making it one of only a handful of states that recognize same-sex unions. Since then, many same-sex couples have chosen to take full advantage of the legalization by having gay weddings in New York. With this milestone comes both advantages and disadvantages for those looking to plan their nuptials in the Empire State.
- New York is one of the most progressive states in the nation, and it is consistently ahead of the curve when it comes to supporting gay rights and marriage.
- Couples who get married in New York are legally married for all intents and purposes, and their marriage is recognized across all 50 states and beyond.
- There is a wide array of venues suitable for gay weddings, ranging from traditional churches to hip urban lofts, so couples have plenty of options when it comes to finding the perfect place to celebrate their union.
- Though New York recognizes same-sex marriages from other states, there are some legal restrictions on out-of-state gay marriages performed within New York's borders that may cause complications down the line.
- Some areas in upstate New York do not have an abundance of venues that cater specifically to same-sex weddings, so couples may have difficulty finding a venue that meets their needs if they choose to marry outside NYC.
- Many vendors across the state still have traditional wedding packages that only include services or traditions meant for opposite-sex couples. They include gendered cake decorations or gender-specific language on contracts, which may be confusing or offensive for same-sex couples.
Tips on How to Organize Gay Weddings in New York
Organizing a gay wedding in New York can be a daunting task. With so much to consider, it’s important to plan and make sure you thoroughly research all the details of what’s involved. Fortunately, some helpful tips can make planning your big day easier.
- Hire an experienced wedding planner: A professional wedding planner will be able to help with everything from selecting vendors to overseeing the day-of proceedings. They can also help couples stay on budget by providing suggestions on how best to allocate funds.
- Create memorable decorations: Gay weddings often feature bright colors and bold designs, which help create an inviting environment for everyone attending. Couples should look into adding fun elements such as balloons or streamers as well as more traditional touches like flowers or candles.
- Develop a timeline: For everything to go off without a hitch, couples should develop a timeline with specific start and end times for activities throughout the day. This will help ensure that events flow seamlessly and that important milestones aren’t missed.
- Personalize gifts: For the most special members of their wedding party, such as groomsmen and bridesmaids, couples can create custom gifts that reflect their unique bond with each individual guest. This is especially meaningful at gay weddings!
Famous Locations in New York
- The Queens County Farm Museum
The Queens County Farm Museum is a hidden gem in the middle of New York City. This 47-acre farm is a New York City Landmark, a member of the Historic House Trust of New York City, and included in the National Register of Historic Places. Its beginning dates to 1697 and occupies the city’s largest tract of undisturbed farmland. It features a greenhouse complex, historic farm buildings, planting fields, farm vehicles, an herb garden, and an orchard. It provides learning opportunities and connects visitors to the environment.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park
Brooklyn Bridge Park is a world-class waterfront park that spans 85 acres along the East River in New York City. It is home to rolling hills, lush gardens, riverfront promenades, and spectacular city views. Brooklyn Bridge Park is open all day, year-round, offering numerous amenities and outdoor adventures, including birding, biking, fishing, roller skating, kayaking, and many more!
- The New York Botanical Garden
The New York Botanical Garden is one of the world's premier botanical gardens, renowned for its beautiful landscapes, extensive collections, and stunning gardens. It features over a million plants on 250 acres and is home to A World of Plants in the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory, showcasing the wonders of the living collections of the Botanical Garden. More than a botanical garden, NYBG is a living museum and an educational institution where you’ll marvel and admire lush greens, flowers, and carnivorous and aquatic plants from around the world.