About New York
New York City is a bustling metropolis that continues to be one of the most popular cities in the world. Its history spans hundreds of years and encompasses numerous occupations, migrations, and transformations. Originally inhabited by Native Americans and later colonized by Dutch settlers in 1624, New York would eventually become one of the original Thirteen Colonies in 1776. NYC is home to more than 800 languages spoken throughout the five boroughs, making it one of the most linguistically diverse cities on the globe. Additionally, over 35 million visitors come here every year, making it one of the world’s top tourist destinations.
Despite being known as a metropolitan city, New York is a heavily forested area. Over 63% of the entire state land, which translates to 18 million acres, is made of forest, most of which are situated in its parks. These lush green spaces are ideal for those wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of metropolitan life and provide a serene backdrop for events such as weddings.
Forest weddings in the Big Apple offer an enchanting atmosphere to celebrate the love between two individuals, with towering trees as witnesses to your union. With plenty of parks scattered across the state, couples have their choice of rustic ceremonies. From small intimate affairs to large grand celebrations, lovebirds will discover plenty of venues and gorgeous backdrops for their special day.
Forest Wedding Options in New York
A good DJ can create an atmosphere and produce music that will get everyone up and dancing. They should be able to read the crowd and know what type of music will get them going, from classic rock to today’s top hits. DJs are also skilled in event transitions, keeping the evening flowing smoothly throughout the night.
It's crucial to discover a photographer that has experience shooting in natural lighting and can easily navigate uneven forest terrain when setting up their equipment. Look for someone who can bring out the beauty of nature, while highlighting your own unique style with original angles and poses.
- Custom Clothing
Adding personalized clothing is a great way to make your forest wedding more unique and meaningful to you. Whether it's custom-made attire for yourself or your bridal party or matching T-shirts or hats for all your guests, custom clothing is a fun way to show off your individual styles and make everyone feel special.
For many couples, having quality catering at their forest wedding is important so they can focus on hosting an amazing adventure for their guests as opposed to worrying about food preparation themselves. It is important to discover caterers who have experience with outdoor weddings. The caterers—especially those who were in touch with outdoor affairs—should be able to suggest menus that complement the surroundings.
Forest Wedding Vendors in New York
- Love Bears
Composed of Fran, a graphic designer, and Mils, a musician, Love Bears are committed to capturing the raw emotions between you and your partner. They work hard to preserve every moving moment from your special day in a way that won't feel forced or staged. With a style that seamlessly blends sentimental, romantic, and modern touches, your wedding photos will reflect your sole style and personality. With a background in art and music, this couple knows how to use photography as a means of creative expression of love between two people.
- Dish Food & Events
Dish Food & Events is a leading New York City caterer that specializes in weddings and other special occasions, offering a menu filled with seasonally inspired dishes and global cuisine. But they don't just stop at the food—the diligent team is committed to bringing warm hospitality, expert service, and endless innovation. Plus, with custom gift baskets, drop-off catering, and licensed bar services, they've got all your event needs covered.
Yosel Teinfenbrun, who came from a long line of tailors and fabric merchants, leads this clothing store that prioritizes craftsmanship. They incorporate unique details into their clothing that other tailors in NYC have never attempted. From suits to tuxedos, every garment created here looks exquisite and durable—ensuring that you stand out at your next event. With techniques absorbed from all over the world, the masters at Tiefenbrun have truly elevated the art of fashion to a whole new level.
Pros and Cons of Forest Weddings in New York
While forest weddings can be stunningly beautiful and extraordinary, there are some advantages and disadvantages to consider before deciding to get married in the woods.
- A forest wedding provides a tranquil atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Surrounded by nature, couples can be assured that their vows will not be disrupted by outside noise or distractions.
- The stunning charm of the woods generates an enchanting backdrop for the celebration of love. Lovebirds get to appreciate lush foliage, picturesque wildflowers, and chirping birds as they exchange their vows.
- A forest wedding allows couples to produce something truly personal, without having to worry about excessive embellishments or fussiness. It's a chance to have an intimate gathering among close family and friends while embracing the beauty of nature.
- Depending on how far away from civilization the couple chooses to get married, potential issues can include limited cell reception, lack of power supply for sound systems or other equipment, and difficulties transporting guests who have mobility limitations.
- Most parks impose restrictions on alcohol consumption which may limit some couples' desired vision for their big day if they had planned on serving alcoholic beverages at their celebration.
- Those planning a forest wedding should bear in mind that outdoor celebrations carry risks due to unpredictable circumstances such as rain or windy days, which could make it complicated or even dangerous for guests attending the event.
Tips on How to Organize Forest Weddings in New York
A forest wedding is sure to be memorable both for the couple and their guests. However, such a venue can be challenging to navigate and plan a wedding around. But don’t let it stop you from going for this type of wedding! Here are some tips to help make sure your dream woods wedding comes true:
- Plan according to season: Depending on when you want to get married, factor the weather into your plans. If you're looking for an outdoor ceremony, consider what type of protection from rain or sun might be necessary, so that all guests are comfortable during the affair. For winter weddings, think about finding venues with heated outdoor spaces, like fire pits or cabanas.
- Enlist the help of a wedding planner: It can be challenging to plan a forest wedding due to the potential logistical issues it can pose. If you’re inexperienced with planning an event, it’s wise to let a professional wedding planner do the work for you. Many wedding planners will be experienced in planning weddings in challenging locations such as a forest. They can also give you theme and decor ideas that will be best suited for a forest venue.
- Have a backup plan: As with any outdoor event, it's always best to have contingency plans in case of rain or other inclement weather conditions. Make sure that there is an indoor option available at your chosen venue, as well as alternative transportation arrangements.
- Keep comfort in mind: With any outdoor occasion, comfort is key! Confirm that no matter where you decide to wed in New York’s forests, guests will be able to stay cozy throughout the entire night with blankets provided if needed, plus portable heaters during colder months of the year.
Famous Locations in New York
- Hangman's Elm
The northwest corner of Washington Square Park is home to a legend unlike any other in Manhattan. The Hangman's Elm, at over 330 years old, is the oldest known living tree in the city and is surrounded by stories of executions and hangings. It may seem like a simple English elm on a sunny spring day, but local lore would assert otherwise. With wood strong enough to hang a school bus, this tree was said to hold the fate of many sentenced to death by hanging. Standing tall at over 110 feet, it has borne witness to several hangings throughout history, including those of traitors during the Revolutionary War.
- East Village (Manhattan)
For those who want to immerse themselves in the legacy of legendary musicians and artists, the East Village is the ultimate destination. Countless art stars like Jeff Koons and Jean-Michel Basquiat launched their careers in this vibrant neighborhood, while musical icons like Madonna and The Strokes also called it home. However, the East Village's appeal goes beyond its illustrious creative history. Its streets are adorned with breathtaking street art and dotted with exciting speakeasies. Upscale restaurants and cozy cafes are also plentiful, making it a great place to spend a week. Despite the area's indie vibe, the neighborhood's fashionable reputation means that high prices come with the territory.
- Small is Beautiful, NoHo
Small is Beautiful, Miniature Art is the world's first museum dedicated solely to miniature art. This miniature extravaganza boasts over 130 exclusive artworks and 80 photographs created by 32 talented local and international artists who have dedicated countless hours to crafting whimsical and intricate designs you won't soon forget. Imagine a tennis match played on a watermelon or the home of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings in miniature form. This is your opportunity to immerse yourself in a mini world. Get ready to marvel at these tiny treasures like you never have before.