About New York
During colonial times, New York was a crucial port city, but after independence from British rule, it quickly became one of America’s most prosperous trading hubs and a major financial center that cemented its place as America’s largest city by 1825.
Since then, New York has been through several iterations: famously being known as “Gotham” in Batman comics; experiencing huge population growth during both World War I & II; undergoing an economic decline during the 1970s due to industrial restructuring, and hosting hundreds of iconic films, depicting its unique character and much more. The town's diverse cultural background inspires originality in all aspects of life. From Broadway musicals to experimental street art installations, there's always something exciting happening!
As one of the most sought-after wedding destinations in the US, New York offers an exquisite setting for couples who want to tie the knot with style and elegance. From ballrooms with crystal chandeliers to chic loft spaces with exposed brick walls, there is something special out there for everyone! With so many selections, couples have the opportunity to really customize their wedding day according to their individual style and preferences.
Elegant Wedding Options in New York
A beautiful cake is a must-have for any elegant wedding. Not only do desserts look nice as a centerpiece, but they also provide a satisfying ending to your special day with delicious flavors and decadent embellishments. You have plenty of options when it comes to choosing a cake— from classic white vanilla buttercream frosting cakes to more modern designs with geometric layers and colorful icing.
Delicious catering at an elegant wedding will ensure your guests are happy and satisfied. There are various options to choose from, ranging from plated dinners with gourmet dishes to buffet-style receptions featuring specialty foods such as vegan and gluten-free items.
The right photographer will help capture all the magic moments at your celebration in stunning photos that can be cherished long after the event has ended. Professionals sometimes have packages that include additional services, such as videography and albums.
Elegant Wedding Vendors in New York
- Big Mama's Party Rentals
Big Mama's Party Rentals offers the most stylish event furniture and decor in town. From acrylic backdrops to marquee numbers, these experts are always stocked up and ready to take your affair to the next level. They have a 13,500-square-foot warehouse in Patterson and are thrilled to extend services to New Jersey areas, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island.
- Pure Confections
Pure Confections creates artisanal cakes that are handmade with fresh, seasonal ingredients. Jesebel Gumogda, the owner and head pastry chef, has been specializing in modern cake designs since 2014. Her business creates custom cakes for weddings, birthdays, and other special occasions. With their cake-tasting box, you’ll receive nine different cake flavors along with a flavor description card, so you can savor each bite and appreciate the artistry that goes into each creation. But that's not all—the firm also offers paint-your-own-cookie sets that would make unique and fun wedding favors.
- Heather Waraksa
Heather Waraksa is a wizard with a camera, capturing everything from the subtlest glances exchanged between couples to the grandest of nuptial celebrations. Her portfolio spans across various industries, including fashion and editorial, but it's her wedding photography that shines the brightest. Heather's images pulse with life, whether it be the sumptuous details of a Tuscan villa, the rustic charm of a safari lodge, or the opulence of a luxurious 1920s theater in LA. Heather always manages to discover the unique details that make your wedding celebration special, and her signature warmth and attention to detail is evident in every shot she takes.
Pros and Cons of Elegant Weddings in New York
Choosing to have an elegant wedding in New York City presents its own set of unique benefits and drawbacks that should be carefully considered.
- One major benefit of having a wedding in New York City is that there are so many venues and vendors located within close proximity. This means that couples don't have to travel far to find what they need, making their planning process much easier.
- With such a diverse city comes an extensive selection of venues, vendors, decor styles, and cuisines to suit any couple’s needs or desires. Couples can create the exact wedding they want without having to compromise on their vision.
- There’s no denying the energy that radiates throughout the city—New York City provides a great backdrop for a mesmerizing night filled with elegance and sophistication.
- With so many couples vying for specific dates or venues, it can be hard to secure them without advanced planning or reservation fees upfront.
- While you may get lucky with mild temperatures, keep in mind that nature can be unpredictable here—particularly during certain times of the year—and outdoor ceremonies may have to be rearranged if necessary.
- Due to New York’s sheer size and bustling atmosphere, it’s easy for wedding guests who are unfamiliar with the city to feel overwhelmed by all the crowds and activity going on around them.
Tips on How to Organize Elegant Weddings in New York
Planning an elegant wedding in New York can be an exciting and rewarding experience. With proper preparation and attention to detail, you'll be able to create a beautiful day that you and your guests will remember for years to come.
- Set a budget early on: Having a clear understanding of the costs associated with your wedding is essential. Arranging a budget will help you stay organized and within your financial means while still ensuring that each aspect of your celebration is properly taken care of.
- Pay attention to details: From selecting the fitting flowers for centerpieces to deciding which songs will play during dinner, details always matter. Pay attention to both big and small details if you want everything at your celebration to be flawless.
- Book vendors early: Professionals such as caterers, florists, entertainers, photographers, etc., often book up many months ahead of time, so make sure that you book them as soon as possible if you want them available for your wedding date.
- Hire extra help: With all the elements involved with planning a wedding in the Big Apple, hiring extra hands can be incredibly useful. Consider investing in an experienced wedding planner who can take care of the big picture, while also guiding you through all the smaller ones as well.
Famous Locations in New York
- Tunnel Number 3
The State of New York embarked on an ambitious project back in 1970—a tunnel that would stretch over 60 miles long, snaking through the city to provide its residents with water from upstate. The project was no small feat, and it came at a hefty price of over $6 billion. Unfortunately, the true cost wasn't just monetary—23 workers lost their lives during the construction process, a chilling reminder of the dangers of such an undertaking. That averages out to approximately one life lost for every mile of the tunnel dug.
- "New York Now: Home - A Photography Triennial"
Step into the world of this exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York, where 33 contemporary photographers showcase their distinctive perspectives on the concept of home. Through a range of photography styles, from social documentary to conceptual, the exhibit explores homes as more than just physical structures but also as havens for safety and expressions of cultural identity. Whether you inherited your home or chose it for yourself, this exhibit offers a fresh perspective on how we live now. And don't miss out on future exhibitions in this series, as the Museum of the City of New York documents different themes and issues of the contemporary city every three years.
- Barrett Beach Park, Fire Island
Fire Island is a tiny barrier island with a big personality. What makes this sliver of land feel larger than life are the unique communities that call it home. But the real charm of such a place lies in its many different beaches—each with its own distinctive character. One of the best beaches is Barrett Beach Park, nestled between Fire Island Pines and Water Island. Accessible only by foot or private boat, this wide stretch of sun-drenched paradise will make you feel a million miles away from the daily grind. History buffs will also appreciate how far this beach has come—once a bustling hub of activity, it was closed down due to severe damage, but has since been restored to its natural pristine beauty and is now a part of the Fire Island National Seashore.