Chicago, an iconic city in the United States and overflowing with charm, offers a unique setting for wedding ceremonies and receptions. While couples from all over the world come to this lakefront metropolis to tie the knot, many seek out alternatives to traditional weddings due to their vibrant energy and culture. With countless attractions, including famous museums, theaters, civic buildings, and more, Chicago has become a destination for couples seeking to add a special, creative twist to their big day.
For those looking for something truly extraordinary on their wedding day, there is no shortage of ways to make it memorable. From boat cruises along Lake Michigan's shoreline or soaring high above the city in a vintage biplane, some remarkable experiences will have you and your guests talking about your special day for years to come.
So if you are hoping to make your ceremony unique and personalize it in a way that reflects your personality and the city's, Chicago offers plenty of opportunities.
Unusual Wedding Options in Chicago
- Wedding Cake
The options for couples looking for an unusual wedding cake are endless in Chicago. From creative designs to unique flavor combinations, there is sure to be a wedding cake that fits your style. For couples who want a truly one-of-a-kind cake, consider having a custom design made. Plenty of talented pastry chefs in Chicago can create a masterpiece that will reflect your personality and style.
- Makeup and Hairstyle
On your big day, you want to look and feel your best. And with so many expert makeup artists and hairstylists in Chicago, finding the perfect team to help you achieve your wedding day vision is easy. Whether you are looking for a barely-there look or something bolder, there is sure to be an artist that can make your dreams a reality.
No wedding is complete without music, especially music that is special to you and your partner. With so many talented musicians in Chicago, finding the perfect band or DJ to keep your guests entertained is easy. From soulful R&B bands to high-energy dance DJs, there is sure to be a music vendor that fits your style. So whether you are looking for background music for your ceremony or a party band for your reception, you will be able to find what you are looking for in Chicago.
Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life. And with so many scenic places to take photos in Chicago, finding an accomplished photographer to capture your memories is crucial. From the city skyline to the shores of Lake Michigan, many locations will provide a stunning backdrop for your wedding photos.
- Wedding Planners
Planning a wedding can be overwhelming for couples and may even take away the excitement for their big day. This is why it’s often wise to get a wedding planner. With the help of a professional wedding planner, you can take the stress out of planning your big day. Wedding planners in Chicago are familiar with all of the city's best venues and vendors, and they can help you create the wedding of your dreams so you can focus on enjoying your special day.
Unusual Wedding Vendors in Chicago
- Diem Angie Nguyen
Artist Diem Angie is a wedding hair and makeup artist in Chicago. Her team is made up of skilled, dependable, creative professionals with a long track record of success and were personally chosen by Diem Angie to provide only top-tier services to clients. With a true passion for faces and makeup, Diem Angie has worked in print, commercials, and TV, and has even worked with America's Next Top Model. However, her true passion lies with wedding makeup and hair and making brides look the best versions of themselves. With over several years of expertise combined, Diem Angie provides a complete image industry package that delivers award-winning results.
- Style Matters
If you want an edgier type of music to be played at your wedding, look no further than Style Matters. Style Matters is a group of 25 experienced and creative urban DJs who specialize in playing sophisticated soundtracks for events. The company started when the founders were invited to many weddings where the DJ played old, tired songs. They decided to create a DJ company that would play music that appealed to people with more discerning tastes. Their goal was to perform at ten weddings within one year, but they ended up performing at over forty due to word-of-mouth marketing and a Craigslist post.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
If you want something different from the usual round wedding cakes, try Nothing Bundt Cakes’ tiered wedding Bundt cakes. They use fresh eggs, real butter, and cream cheese to make the perfect cake—one with slowly melting bites that everyone would love. Established in 1997, Nothing Bundt Cakes is now a nationwide brand with branches in most US cities, including Chicago. You can also choose from various flavors, such as lemon, pumpkin spice, red velvet, chocolate chip, carrot, strawberries and cream, vanilla, Snickerdoodle, confetti, and white chocolate raspberry.
Pros and Cons of Unusual Weddings in Chicago
Chicago is increasingly becoming the go-to city for couples who are looking to make their wedding day truly unique and special. From the unorthodox venues available to the vibrant cultural attractions, Chicago has something for everyone when it comes to unusual weddings. However, some drawbacks should be taken into consideration before making the decision.
- Chicagoland offers a wealth of unique venues and experiences that are perfect for a wedding. These range from rooftop restaurants with magnificent views of the city skyline, to one-of-a-kind vintage locations such as former movie theaters, to cozy, intimate spaces like speakeasies and lofts.
- The city is known for its vibrant culture, rich history, and wide variety of attractions, making it an ideal site for creating special memories on the big day. From museums and galleries to parks, beaches, and botanical gardens, there's something here to suit any couple's style.
- With its world-class cuisine options ranging from traditional dishes to modern fusion fare, Chicago is sure to please even the pickiest palate. Whether it's a classic steakhouse or a unique food truck concept, there are plenty of mouthwatering options available for couples looking for something special.
- Weather can also be unpredictable in Chicago leading to potential delays or disruption if rain or extreme temperatures occur on the big day. Even though summer months tend to be more temperate than winter months in this part of the country, occasional thunderstorms can still cause havoc on outdoor weddings. Hence, couples must plan accordingly if they choose an outdoor venue option.
- Planning a unique wedding often requires outside-the-box thinking which can become overwhelming over time if not handled properly. To ensure everything goes smoothly on the day itself, all parties must communicate effectively early enough to have ample time for preparation and organization.
- If you plan on having a large number of guests at your wedding, then you may not be able to find a location large enough unless you rent out multiple spaces—thus increasing your costs even further!
Tips on How to Organize Unusual Weddings in Chicago
Weddings are an important and joyous occasion in the lives of many couples. However, planning these events can be a challenge, especially when you want to throw an ‘unusual’ wedding. Chicago, known for its charming architecture and cultural diversity, is the perfect place to host a unique wedding celebration. From incorporating unique décor to choosing creative venues, there are plenty of ways to make an unforgettable experience for you and your guests. Here are some tips on how to organize unusual weddings in Chicago that will create lasting memories and make your big day one-of-a-kind!
- Research local venues and vendors that specialize in unique weddings: Contact them directly to ensure they are a good fit for your vision. Ask about their experience hosting unusual weddings, what type of décor they specialize in, and if they have any special amenities or packages available.
- Determine your venue preference: Many venue types may fit under the category of 'unusual.' Choose from various exciting places such as rooftop terraces, parks, estates, rustic cabins, and other unexpected locations perfect for an unconventional wedding.
- Take advantage of Chicago’s unique architecture: Think of industrial loft buildings and historic sites in creating a memorable backdrop for your ceremony. Make sure to check the local rules for permits and restrictions when planning an outdoor event.
- Select an interesting theme based on the season or your interests: A single theme ties together all aspects of the event from décor to attire. Consider seasonal colors, floral arrangements, and music choices according to the chosen theme.
Famous Locations in Chicago
- Shedd Aquarium
The Shedd Aquarium, one of Chicago's most popular attractions with over 32,000 animals and ten distinct installations, is an indoor public aquarium located on Lake Shore Drive, Chicago. Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, this world-famous museum evokes a neoclassical white marble temple with distinctive features of actual marine fossils on the limestone floor. With over 2 million guests coming every year, the Shedd Aquarium is one of Chicago’s most-visited destinations, renowned for providing visitors with encounters with beluga whales and bluegills. Not only does the Shedd give visitors delightful displays of animals, but it also participates in the protection of endangered species and their habitats.
- Museum of Science and Industry
The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is the only structure still standing from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. It has thousands of interesting exhibits, along with unique activities like dining beneath the wing of an airplane. The 400,000-square-foot museum is one of the largest science museums in the world and houses over 35,000 artifacts and Chicago’s only five-story domed movie theater. It is one of Chicago’s most popular attractions, having welcomed almost 200 million guests since its opening in 1933.
- Art Institute of Chicago
Founded back in 1879, the Art Institute of Chicago is one of the oldest and biggest art museums in the world. With more than 1.5 million visitors per year, the popular art gallery has almost 300,000 pieces and features works from Pablo Picasso, Edgar Degas, Paul Gauguin, and Claude Monet. You can even see some renowned paintings such as the Bedroom in Aries by van Gogh in 1888 and Two Sisters on the Terrace by Renoir in 1881. Also, don't miss the ancient Greek amphora from 550 BC and the Book of Hours page from 1440.