Chicago is one of the largest cities in the United States and is located on the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan. It has a humid continental climate with hot, humid summers, and cold, dry winters. It is known for its historical significance as well as its vibrant culture and attractions, such as world-class museums, theaters, restaurants, sports teams, and more.
Hosting large events in Chicago can be immensely beneficial due to the city’s popularity among locals and tourists alike. The city’s expansive transportation system consisting of two international airports, commuter rail lines, a rapid transit system (the "L"), numerous highways, and public buses make it easy to access from anywhere in the world.
Chicago is also home to a wide variety of unique venues and locations that can accommodate any type of event. Many hotels provide ample space for hosting large events and offer discounts for group bookings. Furthermore, Chicago is home to some of the best cuisine available in America and visitors have plenty of culinary options to choose from when planning an event or gathering. Finally, Chicago’s status as an international city allows attendees from all over the globe to attend events without having to worry about travel visas or other restrictions.
Large Venue Options in Chicago
If you want your large event to be a success, you'll need to find a DJ who can get the crowd moving and keep them entertained all night long. Luckily, Chicago is home to some of the best DJs in the business. From world-renowned DJs like Tiesto to local favorites like Green Velvet, there's sure to be a DJ who can meet your needs.
No large event is complete without food and drinks to satisfy your guests. Fortunately, Chicago has no shortage of amazing catering companies. Whether you're looking for simple finger foods or an elegant sit-down meal, you'll be able to find a catering company that can make your vision a reality.
- Event Decor
The right event decor can take a large party from good to fantastic. If you're looking for a way to really make your event stand out, consider hiring a professional event decorator. With their help, you'll be able to transform any huge space into a truly magical event venue.
Capturing memories is one of the most important parts of any event. Make sure your large event is well-documented by hiring a professional event photographer. You'll not only make sure that all crucial moments have been documented, but you’ll also look back on your event with fond memories for years to come.
- Event Planning
Planning a large event can be a daunting task, and this is where professional event planners come in to help. Event planners have the experience and knowledge necessary to make your event a success, from start to finish.
Large Venues Vendors in Chicago
- The DJ Firm
Established in 2014 by Eric Sampson and Carlington Young, The DJ Firm is a full-service event entertainment company that is composed of only the finest club and radio DJs, which is why they don’t just provide cookie-cutter DJ services. Apart from DJs, they also have violinists, drummers, emcees, and beatboxers to complement any event. When you book The DJ Firm, you’ll get VIP treatment from the way they respond to your queries and requests. You’ll also have access to their huge music library, with tools to help you customize the most suitable playlist for your event.
- Hearty Boys Caterers
Founded in 1999 by Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh, The Hearty Boys has become one of Chicago's most sought-after catering companies. Drawing on their experience as owners of three Michelin-recommended restaurants, Food Network hosts, cookbook authors, culinary instructors, and restaurant consultants, the Hearty Boys offer a unique blend of contemporary urban sophistication and casual charm. They will work closely with you to create a menu that is sure to impress your guests.
- Wes Craft Photography
Wes and Necia Craft are photographers best known for their cinematic, colorful, and heartfelt photography. They’ve proudly served over 500 clients in Chicago and internationally from their studio in Naperville, Illinois. Their work has been featured by The Huffington Post, BuzzFeed News, MTV.com, CBS News, Boston Globe, PopSugar, Cosmopolitan, Bride Magazine, and Refinery29, as well as in international publications. Although the couple specializes in weddings, engagements, and family photos, Wes also does event photography for parties, galas, and award shows.
Pros and Cons of Large Venues in Chicago
Chicago is an incredible city, home to a wide range of attractions and unique experiences. One of the most popular varieties of event spaces is large venues, which come with both benefits and drawbacks. Large venues in Chicago offer guests the opportunity to host events on a grander scale, with more people and amenities than would be possible at a smaller location. At the same time, certain issues come along with this type of venue that must be addressed before signing a contract or agreeing to rent one out.
- Large venues in Chicago can accommodate a wide range of big events, including music concerts, sporting events, stage shows, conventions, and conferences.
- They often offer the latest in technological advancements such as high-definition screens, light and sound systems, and sophisticated staging equipment.
- Spaciousness allows for interesting seating arrangements that enhance the experience for guests and performers alike.
- Even with state-of-the-art sound systems, smaller details can get lost due to echo or interference from other areas of the venue itself.
- In a large venue, it can be tough to get an up-close view or hear clearly if you are too far away from the stage or performance area.
- In some instances, there may be limited or no seating available at all which can lead to standing-room-only situations that are uncomfortable for long periods.
Tips on How to Organize Large Events in Chicago
Organizing large events in Chicago is both an exciting and daunting task. When done right, the event can be a huge success and create lasting memories for everyone involved. To ensure your event is planned to perfection, here are some tips on organizing large events in Windy City.
- Know your audience: Who will be attending the event? Different types of audiences require different types of experiences and you need to tailor the event accordingly. Once you understand who your guests are, you can create a budget and start researching potential venues that suit all of their needs. With so many amazing venues in Chicago, there should be no shortage of options for your event whether it’s indoors or outdoors, formal or casual.
- Choose a venue: When considering a venue, it’s important to think about all the necessary details such as catering options, seating arrangement(s), audiovisual equipment, parking arrangements, etc. Additionally, consider any additional services that may be needed for the evening such as security staff/staffing resources or access to restrooms and other amenities. Once you have chosen a venue, it’s time to move on to planning!
- Create an agenda outlining activities for the evening: Make sure to consider factors such as entertainment (i.e., live bands or DJs). It’s also important to plan ways attendees can interact with each other throughout the evening besides just sitting down at their table. Creating interactive stations or activations is a great way to get people moving around and having fun!
Famous Locations in Chicago
- The Field Museum
As any Chicagoan knows, The Field Museum is one of the city's most beloved institutions. Situated on the shores of Lake Michigan, the Museum is home to an impressive collection of artifacts and exhibits, spanning everything from ancient Egyptian relics to dinosaur bones. While the current building opened in 1921, the original museum opened in 1894 with 65,000 exhibits from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.
- Chicago History Museum
The Chicago History Museum is located in the heart of Lincoln Park, one of the most beloved parks in the city, and it is surrounded by some of Chicago's most iconic landmarks. The museum’s mission is to connect people to the history of Chicago and the United States through its displays, publications, tours, special events, and other programs.
- Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park is a designated community area on the North Side of Chicago, Illinois. It is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in Chicago and is home to a diverse population and a variety of cultural attractions. The neighborhood is known for its tree-lined streets and historic buildings and is also a popular destination for shopping, dining, and nightlife. In addition, Lincoln Park hosts festivals and special events throughout the year, making it a nice place to visit at any time of year.