Houston is a city located in Southeast Texas. It has a humid subtropical climate and is known for its intense summer heat. Houston is also located on the Gulf Coast, which means it experiences hurricanes and tropical storms. It is situated on a coastal plain, with elevations ranging from sea level to 96 meters (315 feet) above sea level.
The constantly changing face of Houston can be a challenge to keep up with, with the introduction of new attractions and locations. However, that does not mean that older locations and events should be forgotten or taken for granted. Quite the opposite, retro locations can often become more popular than their modern counterparts. Many retro places in Houston take people back to their childhood memories. They supply residents and tourists with a refreshing change from the norm. Also, retro-style events held in Houston commemorate the city's culture and past while giving everyone a novel way to have fun.
For those who are looking to organize a retro or vintage-themed party or photoshoot, then Houston offers several spaces that can accommodate these activities. From classy lofts with unique decor to creative event spaces and chic art galleries, these spaces can be outfitted to match any retro-themed event!
Retro Event Options in Houston
Retro events call for appropriate decorations that set the tone for the evening. Houston has many decorators who specialize in creating unique spaces that evoke memories of decades past. They have access to props and special effects to bring life to the venue’s walls and floors. You can choose from a variety of themes depending on which decade you want to represent—whether it’s groovy ‘70s decor or swinging ‘60s style designs, these experts know how to capture an era’s spirit through design elements.
Music is key when it comes to creating a successful retro party atmosphere. Many talented Houston musicians play oldies, rock & roll, soulful jazz, and vintage pop classics to provide entertainment for guests throughout the night! These professionals also know how to customize their sound according to your preferences as well as stay true to traditional instruments used during certain eras like saxophones or organs. With their skillset, they will keep your guests jamming all evening long!
If you're hosting a vintage-themed event, consider having an experienced photographer present. Not only do they possess the expertise required to take stunning photos with classic cameras, but many also bring props and backdrops that create a time warp for guests while posing for pictures. In this digital age we live in, these professionals can even upload images right away so everyone attending your celebration has access to their favorite memories quickly! Houston is home to numerous photographers who cater to parties and events or who specialize in vintage-style photos.
Retro Event Vendors in Houston
- PB&DJ Events
PB&DJ Events offers everything you need to make your event unforgettable, all at Houston's best prices. The company has an extensive inventory of equipment and decor rentals, such as tables, chairs, linens, dance floors, and stages. Apart from those, they also offer videography, DJ, photo booth, and lighting services. This makes them a one-stop shop for weddings, corporate events, bar/bat mitzvahs, quinceaneras, or any other type of special occasion.
- The Stringbenders
The Stringbenders are a five-piece band based in the Houston Gulf coast area. They specialize in classic country, Zydeco, Tex-Mex, and Cajun styles with some rock ‘n’ roll thrown in to make sure everyone has a great time. The band has been performing together for over ten years, and their experience shows in their tight-knit sound and onstage rapport. The Stringbenders have a large and loyal following in the Houston area, and they always deliver an energetic and entertaining show.
- The Fashion Time Machine
The Fashion Time Machine is a retro boutique in Houston that offers shoppers a unique experience. The shop is full of '60s-era costumes and accessories, as well as nostalgic items like Furby dolls. What started as a conceptual art installation has now become a popular destination for Houstonians looking for vintage clothing and accessories. The shop is staffed by knowledgeable employees who can help clients find the perfect item to complete their look.
Pros and Cons of Retro Events in Houston
Are you wondering whether to have your retro event in Houston? Here are a few pros and cons that may help guide you toward the best outcome for your special occasion:
- Retro-themed events are gaining popularity these days, as these events can take people back to their childhood memories.
- There are many different types of retro locations available in Houston, so you can find one that fits your budget and style.
- The vintage vibe of a retro location can inject your event with its distinct character and charm, creating an unforgettable atmosphere.
- You can find professional vendors who specialize in retro events, making it easier to plan and execute a successful event.
- Retro locations may not have all the modern amenities that you're looking for, such as air conditioning or Wi-Fi.
- Some retro locations may be in disrepair, so you'll need to factor the cost of repairs into your budget.
- Finding the right location for your retro event may be more time-consuming than other regular venues.
- Retro locations may come with stricter rules and regulations regarding occupancy, sound levels, and allowed activities.
Tips on How to Organize Retro Events in Houston
Now that you know more about retro locations in Houston, it's time to start planning your event! Use the below tips to help you find the perfect location and make sure your event is a success:
- Start your search early: The earlier you start searching, the better your chance of finding that hidden gem location for your event.
- Budget for repairs: Incorporate the price of repairs into your financial plan if you want to use a retro area that needs some TLC.
- Plan ahead: Ensure that you are fully ready for your event by packing all of the essentials. It's common to not have access to modern amenities at retro venues.
- Involve vendors: If you're using a retro location for your event, be sure to involve the vendors in your planning. Talk to your decorator, DJ, musician, or event planner about the theme of your event so they can match your ideas with their services.
- Have fun: Don't forget to have fun! Planning a retro event can be a lot of work, but it's worth it when you see the look on your guests' faces when they walk through the door.
Famous Locations in Houston
- 1902 Perry House
The Perry House is the oldest standing house in Friendswood, Greater Houston. The completion date was 1902, and it was built by Nathan and Mary Perry with assistance from her brothers. Some of the lumber used for construction originated from trees toppled during the 1900 Galveston Hurricane. The house was passed down to descendants who gave it to the Friendswood Historical Society when it had fallen into disuse and become almost forgotten. The Historical Society has done an amazing job of restoring the building and most of its original furnishings. The house, which features lovely, well-kept items, is open for tours.
- Speedsportz Racing Park
If you're looking for a great way to spend a day with the family, or if you're a serious racer looking for a top-notch facility, Speedsportz Racing Park is the place to go for go-karts in Houston. They've been providing high-quality kart racing experiences for years, and their state-of-the-art facility is perfect for everyone from beginners to pros. The park offers friendly Friday night fun, professional racing leagues, and everything in between, so whatever your level of interest, Speedsportz Racing Park has something for you. And because they're dedicated to providing the best possible experience, they make sure their facility is always clean and well-maintained.
- The Kinder Building
The Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston is devoted to international collections of modern and contemporary art. With more than 100,000 square feet of space on two floors for exhibitions, plus a cafe, museum store, and interactive education center, there's plenty of room to explore! The museum not only offers a sculpture garden with exquisite views, but it also allows Houston citizens to explore modern and contemporary art pieces from all over the world. The museum strives to be a safe and welcoming space for everyone that provides various ways to appreciate and learn about artists such as exhibitions, collections, studio instruction, etc.