London is an iconic and multifaceted destination renowned for its longstanding history, cultural diversity, endless attractions, and thriving production industry. The city boasts countless film studios and a bustling marketing environment perfect for creating unforgettable content. Moreover, London makes the ideal winter setting for celebratory weddings due to its ancient roots that trace back centuries ago when Romans founded it. The city has long been a popular destination for winter weddings, thanks to its abundance of historic churches and grand stately homes.
Winter weddings have long been an opportunity to embrace the season's traditional elements, such as exchanging rings, reading scripture, and singing hymns. Couples can now take advantage of some of London’s most spectacular wedding venues for a winter ceremony—from grand manors and stately homes to majestic churches and palaces.
No matter your venue or style of wedding celebration, having your wedding in London is sure to make it a magical occasion you will never forget. Winter weddings here offer an air of romance that will last through the years—so why not make the most of the season by starting your new life together surrounded by this incredible city?
Winter Wedding Options in London
- Wedding Planners
Wedding planners are highly organized professionals helping couples plan and execute their big day. They thoroughly understand the wedding industry, including decorations, catering, music, photography, and more. When hiring a wedding planner, couples gain access to an expert who can help them envision their perfect wedding. A good planner will also know local vendors and help to manage logistics, from setting up seating arrangements to coordinating the reception timeline.
- Furniture Rental
Furniture rentals for winter weddings allow couples to create unique event spaces. For example, if you’re having an outdoor ceremony in the snow, consider renting furniture pieces made of wicker or wood that can withstand colder temperatures. Couches and armchairs in luxurious fabrics such as velvet or mohair will add warmth and texture to your space, while tufted ottomans provide extra seating options.
Winter weddings are all about comfort food! Consider serving hot dishes such as creamy macaroni and cheese topped with crunchy panko crumbs or hearty beef bourguignon accompanied by roasted potatoes. Set up stations featuring hearty soups like French Onion Soup topped with Gruyere cheese or quiche Lorraine filled with bacon and cream for leisurely grazing throughout the night.
Decor for winter weddings should be warm and inviting; think candlelight lanterns casting a soft glow on guests as they arrive for dinner or shimmering silver garlands cascading down from ceiling beams into centrepieces on each table. Incorporate white roses paired with sprigs of fir branches for bouquets or arrange pinecones around votives to create a romantic atmosphere lit by flickering flames. Hang strands of fairy lights along walls and ceilings to create an enchanting ambience that complements your winter-themed decor perfectly!
Winter Wedding Vendors in London
- Bumble Events
Bumble Events is a luxury event-planning company based in London. They offer bespoke services for weddings and events, including design, styling, and coordination. No matter the size or type of event—grandiose or traditional, private or corporate—Bumble Events can help turn the dream into reality.
- Lipstick & Curls
Lipstick & Curls is the best mobile hair and makeup team in the United Kingdom. They offer uniquely professional services that range from weddings to private parties, photoshoots, corporate events, hen nights, and more. They can do classic or modern styles with a unique vintage flair. The team at Lipstick & Curls has worked with hundreds of brides before and prioritises excellent customer service and top-tier professionalism.
- New Vision Photography
They are a team of professionals that offers photography needs in the United Kingdom and worldwide. With years of expertise, they are confident that outstanding work quality will meet all your expectations. Wedding photography and videography, engagement shoots, couple photoshoots, event coverage (photo and video), christening pictures, bar and bat mitzvah pictorials, as well as commercial shootings, are among their services. Nek Vardikos and his staff have two decades of experience and a desire to provide exceptional results.
Pros and Cons of Winter Weddings in London
Winter weddings in London are a beautiful and romantic way to celebrate your special day. From the frosty air to the majestic snow-covered landscape, getting married in this historic city during winter can be an unforgettable experience. Whether planning a small and intimate gathering or a giant and lavish event, there are many benefits and drawbacks of having a winter wedding in London. Here is a helpful list of the pros and cons of London winter weddings.
- Winter weddings can often be cheaper than summer weddings for couples on a budget due to fewer bookings during the colder months, meaning you can get more bang for your buck.
- The crisp winter air allows couples to create some truly stunning photos thanks to golden sunsets, ice-covered trees, and glittering snow that provide dramatic backdrops for your special day.
- Winter wedding decor is incredibly versatile—from warm reds and oranges to icy blues and silvers, there are plenty of options for couples looking to bring their dream vision alive.
- Many venues have lovely fireplaces, which add character and ambience on cold winter days. You don’t need to worry about heat exhaustion or guests feeling uncomfortable due to hot temperatures—everyone will be cosy and comfortable!
- Falling snow may be picturesque, but extra planning is required when considering transportation logistics for yourself, your bridal party, and the guests attending your wedding.
- More layers mean more clothing costs. While finding affordable dresses during the colder months is possible, finding ones suitable for a winter wedding might take some extra effort (and money).
- With fewer hours of daylight in winter compared with summertime weddings, there may be less time for taking photos outdoors if you choose this option.
- Guests should also consider how they plan to travel before committing to attend. Lousy weather conditions, such as high winds and icy rain, could affect their plans or even put them in danger when heading home late at night after the festivities end.
Tips on How to Organise Winter Weddings in London
Organising a winter wedding in London can be both a rewarding and challenging experience. With its cold temperatures, potential snowfall, and limited daylight hours, it is important to consider the unique features of a winter wedding when planning. Fortunately, with the right amount of preparation and creative ideas, couples can enjoy a beautiful winter wedding in London. Here are some tips for how to organize winter weddings in London:
- Choose seasonal decorations: While traditional floral decorations are always beautiful, consider incorporating seasonal items like evergreens, pine cones, and white branches for your ceremony decor. Adding small details such as white fairy lights or candles can create an enchanting atmosphere that fits perfectly with winter weddings.
- Plan ahead: Colder temperatures mean couples may need to plan their outdoor activities well in advance. Consider reserving an outdoor venue early so you have time to prepare for any weather-related issues that may occur on your wedding day.
- Include warmth: It’s essential to ensure guests stay warm during the ceremony and reception by incorporating cosy details like blankets or heaters around the venue. This can help keep everyone comfortable during colder weather spells.
- Embrace the dark skies: If you’re getting married later in the evening, take advantage of London's dark skies and incorporate creative light displays along with romantic music to set a moody atmosphere throughout the evening.
- Consider alternative venues: Traditional venues may not be suitable for outdoor activities during winter months due to safety reasons. Look into different venues, such as ice rinks or indoor spaces, that can provide more flexibility when planning your celebration.
Famous Locations in London
- St Paul's Cathedral
The current building, which Christopher Wren rebuilt in 1710 after the original construction, was burned down in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The cathedral's iconic dome soars 111 metres into the sky, making it one of the world's largest. The cathedral welcomes individuals of all faiths and religions and provides free daily chapel services, including morning prayer, holy communion, eucharist and evensong.
- Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey is one of London's most iconic churches. The coronation and marriage of royalty are both held in the Abbey, which has a distinctive gothic architecture that fits seamlessly with the Palace of Westminster. The church has a long history since time immemorial, with the current structure dating back to 960. It has remained an active Christian temple and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There's a lot to discover here, so plan on spending at least two or three hours going around the Abbey.
- Trafalgar Square
The Square includes some of London's top attractions, such as museums, ancient structures, and statues. It is also the site of numerous annual events organized by the Greater London Authority. The place has notable landmarks at all cardinal points. For example, The National Gallery to the north and Whitehall to the south. The square's turbulent history as a location for demonstrations and major gatherings continues today.