London has been around for thousands of years and holds the legacy of being a bustling epicentre in terms of trade, art, commerce, and politics. In this metropolis that's always on the go, it can be hard to find a moment's peace—but with its beautiful gardens, London offers respite from everyday life. Whether interested in majestic royal parks or blooming botanical gardens, these calming green spaces provide an idyllic environment suitable for many special occasions such as garden weddings!
A popular trend during Victorian times was to host outdoor weddings in private gardens or public parks throughout the city. Several iconic outdoor locations, such as Kensington Gardens or Hyde Park, often provided an elegant setting for nuptials during this period. These days, couples looking to tie the knot in London can choose from an array of parkland venues, each with its unique character. From rustic barns nestled in woodlands to grandiose marquees erected on manicured lawns, these settings promise a magical day of celebration surrounded by nature’s beauty.
When hosting a wedding at one of London’s public parks and gardens, several regulations must be followed to ensure that the event is successful and all guests remain safe—including obtaining permission from local authorities ahead of time! However, if you plan carefully and get all the necessary permissions beforehand, a garden wedding in London can be a truly unforgettable experience for you and your guests!
Garden Wedding Options in London
Garden weddings require florists who specialise in creating lush, vibrant arrangements that bring the outdoors inside. Working with various seasonal blooms and greenery, they use their expertise to create structures that will highlight the beauty of the wedding venue and complement the overall aesthetic. From wild bouquets filled with dahlias and peonies to delicate rose petals lining the aisle, they can craft unique and unforgettable designs.
Garden weddings often feature an abundance of decor to capture a whimsical feel. Lanterns, mason jars filled with flowers or lights, natural garlands, or even macramé backdrops provide a romantic atmosphere as guests enter the event space. A wooden arch draped in fabric or blooming vines makes an enchanting backdrop for ceremony photos, while hanging terrariums filled with succulents create an unexpected focal point. Natural elements like chunky logs used as seats around a fire pit make for a cosy celebration at nightfall.
For garden weddings, musicians who can add a simple magical ambience to the evening's festivities should be chosen. String quartets playing classical pieces create an elegant atmosphere during dinner and reception time; folk music brings energy to the dance floor; jazz trios evoke romance during cocktail hour; and acoustic soloists or duos bring sweet serenades during key moments of the day, such as first dances or processions down the aisle.
Garden Wedding Vendors in London
- Eternal Imaging
Hamish Jordan, the man behind Eternal Imaging, is a London-based photographer who specialises in destination weddings and portraits. His unique style of photography includes a mixture of traditional and lifestyle themes to capture your wedding story best. He believes in having fun while working closely with you to preserve every special moment forever. His clients include celebrities, socialites, and couples who prefer an artful approach to their wedding photos.
- Dunns Bakery
Dunns Bakery is dedicated to making quality cakes and treats that will delight taste buds of all kinds. The six-generation family bakery has been a staple of the local community in Crouch End for years. The team of talented bakers ensures that every cake is ideally crafted to meet even the most demanding palates. Whether you're looking for a delicious birthday cake or an elegant wedding cake to celebrate your special occasion, Dunns Bakery is the place to go.
- Balloons of London
Balloons of London is a business run by Paul and Steve Durnford. The brothers expanded from a tiny retail party shop in 1994 into a full-blown balloon company. Their business offers balloons of all kinds, such as plain latex balloons, number balloons, foil balloons, balloon arches, jumbo balloons, and bubble balloons, among others.
Pros and Cons of Garden Weddings in London
Garden weddings in London are an excellent way to capture the beauty of nature while celebrating special occasions. With its numerous parks and botanical gardens, London offers couples a plethora of stunning outdoor venues for their wedding ceremonies. There are both advantages and disadvantages to hosting a garden wedding in London, and couples need to consider these factors before making their decision.
- Garden venues provide beautiful natural backdrops for weddings, with plenty of photo opportunities for the couple and guests.
- There are a wide variety of gorgeous parks and botanical gardens in London from which to choose, so couples can find something that suits their budget and preferences!
- Garden weddings offer a more relaxed, laid-back atmosphere which many guests will appreciate.
- You can save costs by going minimal on decorations, since you can incorporate nature’s elements into the venue's visuals, such as wildflowers or potted plants.
- The romantic atmosphere that a garden venue provides fulfils the dreamy, ethereal wedding fantasies of many couples.
- The uncontrollable weather in London may cause logistical problems such as cancellation or postponement.
- Due to the popularity of outdoor spaces such as gardens for weddings, it may be difficult to find one at peak times during the summer months.
- Insects can prove problematic during warm months if not appropriately managed.
- The absence of enclosed spaces or walls may affect a couple's ability to project images or presentations during their wedding.
- Loud outside noise may interfere with the ceremony atmosphere or speeches.
Tips on How to Organise Garden Weddings in London
Organising a garden wedding in London can be a challenge, but if done right, it could be the most special day of your life. With the proper planning and preparation, you can ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day and you have beautiful memories lasting a lifetime. Here are a few tips to help you plan and organise the perfect garden wedding in London.
- Consider the location: When choosing a spot for your garden wedding, look for places that offer ample space for guests and a tranquil atmosphere. Consider whether there is enough seating or an outdoor area for hosting activities like dancing or games. Also, ensure it’s easily accessible for all your guests by checking public transport links beforehand.
- Choose your flowers: Make sure to choose floral arrangements that complement the colour palette of your wedding dress and decor. Opting for seasonal flowers is always a great option as they are usually cheaper. Researching different varieties will also give you more options regarding fragrance and aesthetics.
- Have a backup plan: In case of bad weather, set up some tents or structures with heaters so guests can stay warm while enjoying the festivities outside. You could even opt for an indoor venue which would provide more protection from the wind and rain if needed. Consider hiring private security personnel if you also anticipate any safety issues arising during the event.
- Get creative with decorations: Utilise vintage-style lanterns, twinkling lights, or bunting to create unique decorations for your garden wedding space. If any trees or bushes are present at the venue, these can also be decorated with fabric garlands or colourful ribbons, adding extra charm and character to the area.
- Prepare food carefully: Work closely with professional caterers who know outdoor catering requirements such as refrigeration logistics, food safety concerns, etc. Ask them for advice on what type of buffet dishes would work best outdoors so that food stays fresh throughout the night without any waste due to incorrect storage practices.
Famous Locations in London
- London Eye
A trip to London would not be complete without a visit to the world's tallest cantilevered observation wheel, the London Eye. Not only will you get breathtaking views of the city, but you can see up to 40 kilometres (25 miles) away on clear days. At 135 metres (443 ft), you'll have an excellent view of some of London's most famous landmarks. The London Eye provides panoramic views of noted Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, and more, so don't miss out on this incredible experience when visiting beautiful London!
- Madame Tussauds London
Madame Tussauds is a popular attraction in London known for its lifesize figures of celebrities. Zendaya, John Boyega, and Dwayne Johnson are just a few stars replicated; you can watch them on the red carpet or compete against professional athletes. You may also go on stage and collaborate with Beyoncé or Taylor Swift, network with world leaders, or rub shoulders with the Queen. With three floors, eight zones, and 150 figures, you'll be astonished at what you will encounter.
- Warner Bros. Studio
Step onto the sets of Harry Potter, and explore how special effects created the magic. Go behind the scenes to discover British talent, imagination, and artistry that made reality out of what was impossible on screen. Visit the sets of Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts films, including Platform 9 ¾, Hogwarts Express, Diagon Alley, Gringotts Wizarding Bank, and Ollivander's wand store at 12 New Street. Board the actual Hogwarts Express at Platform 9 ¾ and relive the magic of the movies through the eyes of the filmmakers who created them. The Studio Tour is an unforgettable experience for Potter enthusiasts of all ages.