London, the capital of England, is a bustling city filled with history and culture. It has been inhabited for over two millennia, making it one of the oldest cities in the world. From its earliest days, London has been a hub of power and influence, serving as an important centre for commerce and government. London has seen countless rulers come and go throughout its long history, each of whom has left its mark on the city.
The city of London has hosted outdoor weddings since ancient times. As far back as Roman times, couples chose to get married outside in gardens or parks. Later, during the medieval period, noble families often held grand outdoor ceremonies at parks or castles across England. During Elizabethan times, many outdoor ceremonies took place all around London at churches or under trees. Today, outdoor weddings are still prevalent in London due to all its beautiful gardens and parks that provide a stunning backdrop for any ceremony.
There's no doubt that London offers something for everyone regarding an outdoor wedding venue—from stately homes with manicured lawns to soaring cathedrals set in tranquil parkland settings—every couple can find their perfect spot in this vibrant city! There is no limit to what you can do when planning an outdoor wedding ceremony in London, so don't be afraid to think outside the box!
Outdoor Wedding Options in London
Catering outdoor weddings in London presents the opportunity to put a creative spin on food presentation. Teaming up with a professional caterer gets the bulk of the heavy lifting done because they often handle the tablescape setup and service. The real fun part is setting up food service stations to reflect your theme, with wooden carts loaded with fresh produce or metal buckets filled up with icy cold drinks.
Live music adds atmosphere to any occasion, whether it’s an outdoor wedding ceremony or reception. If yours is an evening reception, consider hiring a jazz band or string quartet to provide some background music. For a daytime occasion, team up with a steel band or mariachi band to get your guests dancing.
- Photography and Videography
When it comes to capturing your outdoor wedding on film, you'll want to work with a professional photographer or videographer who has experience working with natural light. More than often, videographers will also provide photography services and come with the necessary equipment to get the job done.
- Hair and Makeup
There is a heightened sense of romanticism getting hitched outdoors, and with the gentle breeze and warm rays casting you in the best light, you'll want to keep it that way throughout. The professional hair and makeup stylists in London can glam you up for your outdoor nuptials and make sure that you maintain a flawless look.
If your big day falls in the spring or summer months, you'll have a selection of the most beautiful seasonal blooms for your floral arrangements. For a fall or winter wedding, you'll have to work with a florist who can source the flowers you need. Whatever the case, work with a florist who is experienced at creating beautiful wedding bouquets and floral arrangements.
Outdoor Wedding Companies in London
- Suzanne James Caterers
Suzanne James Caterers is an award-winning caterer in London whose head chef and owner, Suzanne, has over 35 years of experience in the hospitality industry. The business is a staple for those who want tantalizing food and great service. The culinary experts have experience handling private functions and corporate events. They'll work with you to develop a menu that will undoubtedly wow your guests.
- Helen Abraham Photography
Helen Abraham Photography is a London-based photographer specializing in documenting weddings. She has handled nearly 250 weddings all over Europe and beyond. Her style is documentary, which means she captures the weddings as they unfold and prefer to blend in the background. Aside from weddings, she also shoots family sessions, newborn photos, and birthday parties.
- Blow LTD
Blow LTD is the brainchild of Fiona McIntosh and Dharmash Mistry, who wanted to create a beauty destination that was fun, affordable, and, most importantly, fast. Drawing inspiration from New York's quick and efficient beauty bars, they set out to build a space where busy women could take care of all of their beauty-related needs in one place. Since opening its doors in 2013, the company became a go-to spot for busy ladies needing short hair, nails, or makeup fix. They also offer mobile wedding hair and makeup services, done by their team of elite beauty professionals.
Pros and Cons of Outdoor Weddings in London
Outdoor weddings in London can be a magical experience, allowing couples to say their “I do’s” in one of the world’s most iconic cities. However, there are both advantages and disadvantages to planning an outdoor wedding in London, which should be carefully considered before deciding.
- The city of London offers unique cultural experiences that cannot be found anywhere else.
- With its excellent transport links, it is easy to get to almost anywhere in the city from any part of London.
- One of London's main draws of outdoor weddings is its natural beauty, with breathtaking parks such as Hyde Park or Regent's Park providing a stunning setting for your big day.
- Although summer is usually relatively mild and sunny, you never know when it might rain on your parade, so make sure you have a plan B up your sleeve!
- It isn't cheap getting married outdoors in London—with venues often requiring hefty fees due to high demand and limited availability during peak periods such as summertime.
- Most outdoor venues will have restrictions regarding decorations, noise levels, and entertainment which may limit what you can do on the day itself—so make sure you double-check all relevant policies before booking a venue!
Tips on How to Organize Outdoor Weddings in London
From finding the right venue to ensuring all the details are taken care of, many moving pieces must come together for the perfect event. Here are some tips to help you create a beautiful and memorable occasion:
- Pick the Perfect Venue: Once you have a budget, it's time to find an outdoor space that fits your vision. Make sure it complies with regulations and permits from local authorities, such as noise restrictions or limits on the number of guests attending. Additionally, consider the location’s proximity to public transportation so guests can quickly get there without any stress.
- Hire Professionals: Hiring experienced professionals who coordinate events and keep things running smoothly is essential. From caterers and florists to photographers and DJs, these vendors should be familiar with London-based weddings so they can adequately understand what is expected of them on the day of your event.
- Plan Ahead: Start planning early to ensure everything goes according to plan on the big day. Set deadlines, so you don't miss any crucial details or tasks related to organizing an outdoor wedding in London, such as sending out invitations or booking vendors months ahead.
- Be Prepared for Unpredictable Weather: Living in London means dealing with unpredictable weather conditions from one minute to another! Make sure you have plans if it rains on your wedding day by having tents or marquees set up for cover, so terrible weather conditions don't ruin your event.
Famous Locations in London
- The Regent's Park
Regent's Park is an excellent location to spend some time outside. With broad open areas, tree-lined walkways, and beautifully landscaped gardens, it is the perfect place to lounge around or have a picnic. Also check out the Avenue Gardens, which include more than 12,000 roses, or hire a rowboat and go for a peaceful cruise on the boating lake. The Open Air Theatre and London Zoo are also part of the area, as well as spectacular views of the city from Primrose Hill.
- Lauderdale House
Lauderdale House is a historic Tudor house located in Waterlow Park, North London. Constructed in 1582, the building was saved from demolition by William Morris in the 1800s. In 1978, local people rescued the house from a devastating fire, and in 2016, a major £2.3 million refurbishment was completed, guaranteeing a dynamic future for the house. Visitors can enjoy a variety of activities and amenities while exploring the history of this unique Tudor house.
- Kew Gardens
Located in southwest London, the Kew Gardens are a botanical marvel. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site which houses more than 50,000 living plants. The most prominent exhibit at Kew Gardens is the Temperate House, a massive Victorian glasshouse that is the largest in the world and contains threatened and rare plant species. Kew Gardens also has some other magnificent locations, including the Royal Botanic Society Hall. The Kew Constabulary, a police force, oversees the garden.