London, the bustling capital of England, is a city steeped in history with a rich cultural heritage. Although it can be rainy and cloudy, London's summers are mild and pleasant and its winters rarely drop to freezing temperatures. It is home to iconic attractions such as the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, and the Houses of Parliament. It also boasts numerous world-class museums, excellent theatres, beautiful parks, and stunning views from the London Eye.
What makes London even more special are its mid-century modern locations that will transport you straight back to the 1950s. From 1960s office blocks to vintage car showrooms, there are plenty of interesting backdrops for events or film/photo shoots. The great thing about these locations is that they often blend classic designs with modern touches for an added touch of character and sophistication—perfect for capturing the atmosphere of bygone eras. Whether you’re planning an event or looking for photographic inspiration, don’t miss out on exploring what London has to offer!
Mid-Century Modern Options in London
London is home to some of the world's most talented photographers and videographers. With experience in capturing and showcasing various locations, they can provide stunning visuals of any event or photo shoot. They can work with clients to achieve the desired aesthetic, help source props, and provide advice on lighting angles.
- Set Designers
Set designers are essential for bringing a mid-century modern vision to life. Experienced in this style of design, local professionals know how to utilise vintage furniture and art pieces to create a unique atmosphere. Their expertise will ensure that your event or film/photo shoot looks exactly like you imagined it should.
- Catering Services
Delicious food is an important part of any successful event or photoshoot. Catering services specialising in mid-century modern cuisine can be found throughout London’s streets and venues. From tasting menus inspired by European chefs of the era to reinvented classics, these caterers have all the ingredients for success!
- Lighting Equipment Rentals
Lighting equipment is vital for creating the perfect atmosphere at any event or film/photo shoot—particularly when it comes to mid-century modern locations. Companies based in London offer hire services for everything from LED panels to camera accessories, allowing clients access to cutting-edge technology at competitive prices.
Mid-Century Modern Vendors in London
- Peri Peri
Peri Peri is a team of creative event planners who are based in London. Their service covers all aspects of event production, from planning to venue management and catering. They can produce a wide range of events, including private parties, weddings, conferences, product launches, charity balls, festivals, fashion shows, seminars, office parties, and more.
- Limoncello Catering
Since its inception in 1993, Limoncello Catering has been committed to providing its customers with top-quality, fresh food. Owned and managed independently by Martin Sweeney, they pride themselves on delivering delicious meals to both corporate and private events. Whether you're looking for staff lunches, picnic supplies, or wedding catering, Limoncello has got you covered. With an extensive menu that spans from breakfast to dinner, their range of options is sure to satisfy any craving.
- AVE Hire
AVE Hire offers a wide range of equipment for hire, from sound systems and lighting to projectors and stages. Their collection of PA systems and microphones is perfect for any event, while their lighting selection includes mood lighting, party lighting, and even lasers. With qualified engineers and experienced DJs, AVE Hire has everything to make your event a success.
Pros and Cons of Mid-Century Modern Locations in London
Organising events and film/photo shoots in mid-century modern locations comes with its advantages and disadvantages, which you must take into consideration first before finalising any details:
- Mid-century architecture offers unique designs that can bring appeal to an event or photo/video shoot, making it stand out from the rest.
- Many modern locations in London often come with additional amenities like furniture, appliances, decorative elements, and so on, which could save time and money when sourcing props or equipment.
- In comparison to other cities, rental fees for modern locations in London are relatively lower due to the number of available properties on the market.
- Arranging events and film/photo shoots in London’s mid-century modern locations adds a touch of British culture to the proceedings, further enhancing the overall experience.
- The limited availability of these properties due to their growing popularity can result in difficulty obtaining them at short notice.
- Hosting an event or film/photo shoot in a privately owned property might require additional permission from the owner before any renovations or structural changes can be done.
- Many mid-century modern locations may not provide access to parking spaces and this may cause logistical issues if transportation needs are not planned for ahead of time.
- Lastly, residential neighbourhoods may have noise restrictions that could limit certain activities during certain times throughout the day. This must be taken into consideration when planning events or photo/video shoots in such places.
Tips on How to Organise Events or Film/Photo Shoots at Mid-Century Modern Locations in London
Organising an event or film/photo shoot in a mid-century modern location in London is a thrilling and one-of-a-kind experience. However, it can feel overwhelming without proper research and preparation. To ensure a seamless event, here are indispensable tips to help you maximise your time and resources:
- Research: Before visiting a location, take some time to do your research. Look into what other events have taken place there, read reviews online, ask people who have already been there about their experiences, and look at photos from past events. All this information will give you a better idea of what to expect from the venue and allow you to plan accordingly.
- Location scouting: Visit the venue in person before your event takes place to see if it’s suitable for your needs. This will also help you find interesting angles for photography/film shoots or even provide inspiration on how to decorate the space for an event.
- Develop a checklist: Have a clear checklist of all the tasks that need to be completed before and after the event/shoot so that nothing gets missed or forgotten about. Having a backup plan should something go wrong is also important just in case any last-minute changes arise.
- Hire professionals: Depending on your budget, hiring professional staff such as photographers, cinematographers or caterers may be necessary for certain events or shoots which require more expertise than what you possess. Research different companies ahead of time so that you can find one with competitive rates that meet all of your needs.
- Double-check everything: As part of planning ahead, double-check all details such as booking confirmations, transportation logistics, and equipment rentals prior to arriving at the venue so that everything runs smoothly on the day itself!
Famous Locations in London
- Hampstead Heath
Escape the hustle and bustle of London and immerse yourself in the beauty of Hampstead Heath. With over 320 hectares of stunning green space, it's the perfect spot for outdoor enthusiasts. Explore the shaded woodlands, take a dip in the glittering ponds, or enjoy a picnic in the sunshine. Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for parakeets and muntjac deer along the way. Make sure to climb Parliament Hill and be rewarded with panoramic views of the city—it's a sight you'll never forget!
The Victoria and Albert Museum is a treasure trove of history and art, with its roots dating back to Queen Victoria's last public engagement in 1899. Its seven floors and 150 grand galleries are filled to the brim with an astonishing variety of art and artefacts from different centuries, including exquisite sculptures, gorgeous textiles and dresses, and breathtaking glass pieces. Among the must-sees are the world-famous Raphael Cartoons and the fascinating Ardabil carpet. With so much to explore, prepare to be dazzled and learn something new at every turn.
- Saint Dunstan-in-the-East
Saint Dunstan-in-the-East, a mediaeval church originally built in the 11th to 12th centuries, is a hidden gem that's worth exploring during your trip to London. Partially destroyed during WWII, the church's remaining walls have been transformed into a picturesque garden, resulting in a truly unique architectural marvel. Located between the Tower of London and London Bridge, this tranquil oasis will make you forget you're in the bustling city. Don't miss the chance to explore this peaceful spot, just 10 minutes walk from Tower Bridge.