Atlanta is a city of contradictions and surprises. One moment, it is the heart of the southern United States, and the next, and the next, you are transported to a bustling metropolis full of energy and innovation. As a hub for business, music, sports, and art, there is no doubt that Atlanta has something for everyone.
Its location, situated in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and near several major coastal ports, plays an integral role in its identity. The city also boasts a rich history that dates back hundreds of years, and the landscape includes everything from plantation homes to modern skyscrapers.
Today, Atlanta is a hotbed for high-tech industries such as software development, robotics engineering, computer animation, video game design, and content creation. With proximity to major tech hubs in Silicon Valley and Seattle and its diverse landscape and infrastructure, the city provides ideal conditions for tech startups looking to break into the industry.
High Tech Production Options in Atlanta
- Lighting Technicians
Lighting is one of the most important aspects of any shoot or event, providing crucial atmosphere and mood enhancement without distracting from the main focus. Experienced lighting technicians use state-of-the-art equipment such as strobes, LEDs, spotlights, fog machines, and more to bring scenes alive with beautiful illumination that adds impactful visual excitement to any location.
- Production Designers
Production designers are responsible for curating the overall look of the content produced in a high-tech setting. They have experience with different materials and textiles to give a space a sophisticated look. They also have extensive knowledge of using light to create a mood or atmosphere while filming.
- Sound Design Professionals
Good sound design is essential for any modern production looking to create a professional-level product. Highly experienced sound designers use recordings of dialogue, music, and sound effects to come up with impressive audio tracks, adding another layer of high-tech sophistication to the overall project.
- CGI/VFX Services
Computer-generated imagery (CGI) and Visual Effects (VFX) services are invaluable for creating stunning visuals that help bring ideas to life in ways that weren't possible before. CGI/VFX experts add special effects, animations, and other elements that give a project an immersive feel.
High Tech Production Vendors in Atlanta
- 6 STRONG MEDIA
6 STRONG MEDIA is a full-service video production company that creates content for diverse global most recognizable brands. They offer a comprehensive range of services, from camera crews, motion graphics, and animation to editing and turn-key video production. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology ranging from 4K and HD cameras to Adobe Creative Suite and Premiere Pro software, 6 STRONG MEDIA strives to provide high-quality content and a stress-free experience when working with them.
- Jim Sichinolfi
Jim Sichinolfi, a highly sought-after Lighting Designer, Lighting Director, and Consultant, has nearly three decades of experience helping clients bring their TV shows, news stations, and video productions to life. He also specializes in creating the perfect look with show lighting and providing direction. Jim is known for his inventiveness, using projectors, fiber optics, and the redesign of TBS studio lighting grids and dimmer systems.
- Chris Heim
Chris Heim is a professional sound mixer based in Atlanta, Georgia. He has worked on diverse projects, including feature films, documentaries, commercials, scripted and non-scripted television/reality, web content, branded entertainment, and corporate content. Chris prides himself on delivering reliable and quality audio capture no matter what location or situation his clients are in - from an NFL stadium to a CEO's office.
Pros and Cons of High-Tech Locations in Atlanta
Atlanta has established itself as a thriving hub for entertainment and media production. However, consider the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a high-tech shooting location in Atlanta.
- High-tech locations are designed with modern themes and high-end furniture, which can provide superior visuals for production needs.
- High-tech locations are often conveniently located and easy to access by public transport or car.
- Using a contemporary interior makes it easy to create a professional atmosphere that will reflect positively upon the company or brand producing the material.
- Due to the densely populated location of high-tech establishments, noise pollution could be an issue during filming.
- Depending on the location, access may be limited as certain areas may require special permission or permits for entry and filming activities.
- All the bells and whistles of a high-tech location can distract cast and crew members trying to focus on their work.
Tips on How to Organize High-Tech Locations in Atlanta
Creating content in a hi-tech interior is a great way to capture modern and futuristic vibes that appeal to viewers. Consider how the lighting, furniture, technology, color palette, and other elements will work together to improve the overall look of the space. Here are some tips on successfully creating content in a high-tech location for production.
- Choose Location With Modern Furniture: Choosing modern furniture with clean lines and contemporary design will enhance the feel of your shoot location and add interest to each frame or shot. Items like adjustable chairs, modular sofas, or wall shelves can provide functional use and attractive visuals that will complete the look of your hi-tech interior setting.
- Invest in Professional Lighting: Lighting is an essential element of any production as it can set the tone for the shoot and add depth and atmosphere to the space. Investing in professional lighting equipment such as LED lights, strobes, or softboxes gives each scene professional-grade illumination for camera capturing. Multiple lighting fixtures add more visibility and help keep shadows away from shots.
- Incorporate Bold Colors: Incorporating bold colors into your background palette is another great way to create visually captivating scenes that draw viewers’ attention. Consider adding vibrant hues like bright blue, yellow, or red through sofa cushions, wall art, or even light filters that can completely transform the look of your production space into something more memorable and unique.
- Diligently Test Your Set Up: Before beginning any production activity, take some time beforehand to test all of your equipment and settings. It ensures everything functions before filming. Doing so also gives you plenty of opportunities to spot problems or flaws before they become issues on set.
- Keep Things Practical: Lastly, factor practicality in design elements like furniture placement and power supply. Ensure enough room around furniture for crew members to move freely and provide ample plug points near power outlets to support technical equipment during filming sessions.
Famous Locations in Atlanta
- Georgia Aquarium
The Georgia Aquarium is a world-renowned destination in the heart of Downtown Atlanta. It is the largest aquarium in the world and the second largest aquarium in the US, boasting an impressive selection of aquatic species, including whale sharks, SunTrust pier 225 sea lions, and daily penguin walks. In addition to exhibits, visitors can also participate in educational programs such as Behind-the-Scenes Tours, swim and dive classes, family sleepovers, special toddler activities, or special events.
- Mercedes Benz Stadium
Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a world-class, multi-purpose facility located in downtown Atlanta. Home to the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and MLS's Atlanta United FC, the stadium offers fans of all kinds unparalleled amenities, including a massive video board, art collection, and diverse food options. Boasting an eight-panel retractable roof designed to look like bird wings when opened, the Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a local icon for its architecture. Additionally, the stadium often hosts professional soccer matches for the ever-popular Atlanta United team, which routinely draws in crowds of 50,000 or more.
- Skyline Park
Skyline Park, located on the rooftop of Ponce City Market, allows visitors to admire stunning views of Midtown while enjoying classic carnival games. Guests can enjoy activities such as mini golf, Skee ball, and a three-story slide and partake in various food offerings, from quick bites to sit-down beer gardens. Additionally, the mixed-used development houses an array of shops and eateries ranging from ramen and yakitori to Latin cuisine.