About New Orleans
New Orleans has a personality, unlike any other city in the world. It’s a place of culture, music, and history that can be felt throughout every street, every building, and every conversation. From the vibrant French Quarter to the eclectic Garden District, there is something captivating around every turn.
Also known as "The Big Easy," its reputation may suggest an easygoing attitude, but New Orleans has worked hard to preserve its unique spirit since it was founded in 1718 by French colonists and African slaves. Though rich in culture and history, the city’s great outdoors often gets overlooked.
The bayous and wetlands of southern Louisiana offer a glimpse into a different side of the region’s landscape within striking distance of downtown. Even better, there are plenty of outdoor reception venues in New Orleans to explore for your forthcoming occasion. With gorgeous views of the majestic squares, you are sure to find an outdoor space in New Orleans that suits your function.
Outdoor Reception Options in New Orleans
For an outdoor reception menu, include authentic New Orleans dishes like Creole-style jambalaya, crawfish etouffee, and beignets topped with powdered sugar. The city’s caterers can deliver plated dinners, buffet-style feasts, or stations set up throughout the lawn are all possible options.
- Event Rentals
Event rental companies in New Orleans supply items like tables and chairs, tents, food service equipment, and decorative pieces. Their extensive inventories also include lights, streamers, and linens.
Music sets the tone of an outdoor reception and live music is a great choice for a celebration in New Orleans! From traditional jazz bands to modern DJs playing hip-hop tunes, there are endless possibilities. Lists of local musicians specialize in providing event entertainment, and a majority are versed in classic Louisiana styles like Zydeco or Dixieland jazz.
Professional photographers in New Orleans offer event coverage services. They offer packages that include everything from posed portraits to candid shots of guests enjoying themselves on the dance floor. High-resolution digital images ensure that you have beautiful memories of your special day to last a lifetime!
Outdoor Reception Vendors in New Orleans
- Elysian Events Catering
Elysian Events Catering is a catering company that specializes in New Orleans-inspired cuisine. Launched in the fall of 2013, the company offers fresh and approachable catering services for weddings, business events, and other special occasions. Their team is dedicated to working alongside their clients to create a menu tailored to their event, using the freshest seasonal ingredients and offering impressive raw oyster bar catering.
- Knockaz Brass Band
When it comes to traditional New Orleans brass music, the Knockaz Brass Band offers a fresh, modern take on the genre. Made up of a group of young, professionally trained musicians, the Knockaz specializes in high-energy, all-encompassing performances that get everyone in the room moving. Whether they're playing classic jazz pieces or go-go funk, this band never disappoints at festivals, weddings, and social events.
- Firefly Ambiance Event Rental
Firefly Ambiance Event Rental is a boutique company based in New Orleans, that offers an exquisite line of event furnishings, decor, and custom fabrications. Whether you're planning a wedding, corporate event, or private party, they offer their expertise and a unique range of rental products. With delivery and setup services they ensure that your event runs smoothly.
Pros and Cons of Outdoor Receptions in New Orleans
Organizing receptions in outdoor settings adds an element of relaxation and fun to any event. However, it is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages before making a final decision.
- Outdoor reception venues in New Orleans provide the perfect backdrop for weddings and other special occasions with lush greenery and beautiful landscapes.
- From historic architecture to grand oaks, planning an outdoor event in the Big Easy is sure to give you plenty of inspiration with the classic Southern charm.
- With more space available outdoors, you're able to accommodate larger groups and create unique experiences by scheduling activities such as games or live entertainment.
- Keeping an eye on the forecast is essential when planning an outdoor reception as inclement weather can cause disruptions and cancellations at a moment's notice.
- Depending on your location, you may have limited control over factors such as temperature, humidity, noise levels, or sunlight which could be disruptive during your celebration.
- Being outdoors could bring unwanted visitors like insects or wild animals that guests may find troublesome during their celebration.
Tips on How to Organize Outdoor Receptions in New Orleans
Organizing an outdoor reception in New Orleans can be a wonderful way to enjoy the city's beautiful weather, picturesque scenery, and amazing cuisine Here are some tips to make your event in an outdoor venue successful:
- Choose the right venue: When it comes to outdoor receptions, choosing the right location makes all the difference. There are plenty of great options to choose from, including parks, rooftops, and courtyards. Choose a venue that can accommodate the number of guests you expect and that has all the necessary amenities, such as restrooms and sound equipment.
- Enhance the ambiance: To create the perfect atmosphere for your outdoor reception, add personalized touches such as string lights, flowers, or candles. Consider decorating the chairs or tables to make them stand out. If hosting a nighttime event, lighting is especially important to create a cozy atmosphere.
- Keep your guests comfortable: Outdoor events in New Orleans can get quite hot and humid. To ensure that your guests are comfortable, rent portable AC units or fans to keep them cool. Have plenty of water stations available throughout the venue to keep your guests hydrated, and provide enough shaded areas for guests to escape the sun.
- Provide entertainment: Finally, providing entertainment for your guests can make the event more enjoyable and memorable. Consider hiring a DJ or live band to provide music for the night. You can also include games or activities that will get your guests involved, such as cornhole, horseshoes, or giant Jenga.
Famous Locations in New Orleans
- Frenchmen Street
Frenchmen Street is one of the most famous architectural landmarks in New Orleans, and it's not hard to see why. This vibrant street in the French Quarter is a hotbed of jazz music, with musicians blasting their instruments from every corner. Whether you're a seasoned jazz aficionado or just looking for a fun night out, Frenchmen Street has something for everyone. The brightly painted buildings, neon signs, and bohemian murals add to the street's festive atmosphere, and you'll find plenty of legendary clubs and bars among the packed watering holes.
- St Louis Cathedral
The St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans is a fascinating place to visit if you're interested in history. This gorgeous cathedral, with its twin spires, sits smack dab in the middle of the French Quarter, surrounded by a pristine square that looks like it was plucked from a storybook. This is the oldest continuously active Catholic cathedral in America, having been built way back in 1727. Once you step inside, you'll be blown away by the brilliant checkerboard flooring and the stunning, curved ceilings that are adorned with intricate depictions of Jesus and his disciples.
- New Orleans African American Museum
Nestled in the heart of the historic Tremé neighborhood, the New Orleans African American Museum is home to an array of exhibits chronicling the rich cultural heritage of Black Americans. Housed in a beautifully restored six-pillared historic home, the museum provides visitors with a glimpse into the once largest, most prosperous, and politically progressive community of Blacks in the nation. Its exhibits range from historical artifacts to contemporary creations by African American artists and designers, providing a comprehensive exploration of the African American experience in the city.