Dallas, the largest city in Texas, is known for many things. It was founded in 1841 on the Trinity River and became a major trading post to serve the people migrating into the region. Dallas is also notable for its vibrant economy and as a headquarter to numerous Fortune 500 companies.
Today, visitors flock to check out downtown Dallas’ eclectic mix of restaurants, specialty shops, and bars. It also features cottages, which are historic dwellings that have been standing since the 1920s. Though some have been restored in recent years to make them suitable for modern living, others still stand as charming reminders of Dallas’ lively past. Even an acclaimed actor like Matthew McConaughey moved into one of the Dallas cottages when filming a movie nearby back in 2012!
Many of the city’s cottages serve as vacation rentals. It’s where you can relax and escape the city’s hectic lifestyle or gather with friends and loved ones near a lake, forest, or mountain, surrounded by nature.
Cottage Event Options in Dallas
- Event Planner
Hiring an event planner is a great way to take the stress out of planning your cottage event. A professional event planner can take care of all the details of the event, from coordinating with caterers and other vendors to ensuring that the decorations are just right. They can also help create a custom event plan that meets your specific needs and budget.
You'll find numerous catering options in Dallas, from formal sit-down dinners to casual buffets. If you're looking for a hassle-free catering service, many event planners can provide food and drink services for your cottage event. Choose from a variety of menus, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner options, as well as hors d'oeuvres and dessert spreads.
From floral arrangements to table linens, event designers can provide a wide range of decorations to make your cottage venue in Dallas look its best. Choose from a variety of themes and styles to match your individual taste.
Add an extra touch of elegance to your cottage event with live music performed by a talented band or solo musician. From classical music to jazz standards, there's sure to be a style that matches your event's mood and atmosphere.
Cottage Event Vendors in Dallas
- Carnival Catering
A full-service food catering business, Carnival Catering provides a variety of catering services to please your guests and relieve your stress. Since 2002, Carnival Catering has been delivering meals to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It began as a cotton candy company before expanding into a full-service catering firm that serves parties of all sizes, from small private gatherings to large business BBQs. Carnival Catering promises delicious food made with only the freshest ingredients and preparation styles for your guests. Not only does Carnival Catering provide delicious food, but their waitstaff is hand-picked to give you the night off. They'll take care of everything from preparing tailored menus to cleaning up, meaning all you have to do is show up and enjoy celebrating with your friends and family!
- Dr. Delphinium Designs & Events
For two decades, Dr. Delphinium has been the go-to source for Dallasites seeking stunning floral arrangements and top-tier gifts. Providing prompt, courteous service is a hallmark of their business model, as is working closely with clients to ensure that every last detail, from branded centerpieces to cohesive design schemes, meets and exceeds expectations. At Dr. Delphinium, they will always go above and beyond to ensure that your floral arrangement is flawless. No job is too big or small for this world-class team of designers, who are passionate about helping you create something beautiful.
- The Royal Dukes Band
The Royal Dukes is a high-energy band that can range from 3 to 14 pieces to cater to any size crowd. And if you're not sure what kind of music will fit your event, don't worry, the team is flexible and able to adjust their style to create the perfect atmosphere for weddings, corporate parties, festivals, or private functions. The Royal Dukes are party initiators, live music experts, and wedding enthusiasts. From Great Gatsby Extravaganzas to 90's Throwback Nights, their dance song list is vast. They take great delight in filling dance floors on every occasion and pride themselves on adding life and excitement to each event.
Pros and Cons of Cottage Events in Dallas
Dallas is the perfect destination if you're looking for a special place to host your next event. The city houses an array of cottages that offer varying advantages and disadvantages depending on their location. To make things easier for you, here's a list of some benefits and drawbacks when renting one of these charming abodes in Dallas:
- Cottages often have more space than traditional venues and can accommodate larger groups. This makes them ideal for large-scale events such as weddings or corporate retreats.
- The natural setting of many cottages gives you the perfect backdrop for your event and makes it easy to create unique décor that truly captures the spirit of the occasion.
- Dallas cottage venues provide extra amenities like audio-visual equipment and even staff members who can help take care of details during your event so that you don't have to worry about it all yourself.
- Depending on the season, weather conditions can be unpredictable, which could lead to unexpected changes in plans if you plan outdoor activities for your event.
- Many cottages also require renters to bring their own food and beverages, adding additional costs to your budget if not prepared beforehand.
- Depending on how far away from town they are located, there may be limited access to medical facilities or police should any emergencies arise during your event.
Tips on How to Organize Cottage Events in Dallas
If you're considering using a cottage location for your next event in Dallas, there are a few tips to keep in mind that will help the planning process go smoothly.
- Plan ahead: Like any event, planning is key to a successful cottage party. Make a timeline and checklist of what needs to be done and when. This will help keep you organized and on track.
- Choose a location: When choosing a location for your cottage party, consider the size of your guest list and the type of party you want to throw. If you’re looking for a more intimate gathering, consider renting a small cottage or house. If you’re looking for something more festive, choose a venue with outdoor space for games and activities.
- Send invitations: Send invitations out at least two weeks in advance so guests have enough time to make arrangements. Be sure to include the date, time, location, and any pertinent information guests need.
- Plan activities: Activities are a key part of any cottage party. Consider what type of activities your guests will enjoy and plan accordingly. If you’re having a summer party, swimming, fishing, or hiking might be fun options. If you’re throwing a winter bash, sledding or playing games in the snow could be fun activities to do together.
- Prepare food and drink: No cottage party is complete without food and drinks! Be sure to plan menus that are easy to prepare and can be enjoyed by all types of guests. Also, don’t forget the snacks. Guests will love munching on appetizers while they chat and enjoy the festivities.
Famous Locations in Dallas
- African American Museum of Dallas
The African American Museum of Dallas is committed to the saving and sharing of black history and culture. It contains an extensive collection of art from Africa and the African diaspora, including one of America's biggest folk art collections. The museum was founded in 1974 as part of Special Collections at Bishop College, a Black institution that closed down in 1988. The African American Museum of Dallas is passionate about preserving the unique heritage of Black art and culture through its extensive permanent collection of artifacts, artworks, documents, and photographs, as well as various educational programs and public events held throughout the year.
- Highland Park Village
Highland Park Village is a high-end shopping center in Dallas that first opened its doors in 1931. For the past 50 years, Highland Park Village has dominated the Dallas shopping scene. It was the United States' first outdoor shopping mall, and it still ranks among the most prestigious retail destinations in Dallas. The village is home to high-end retailers like Hermes, Chanel, Jimmy Choo, and Ralph Lauren, as well as more casual stores like J. Crew and Madewell. There are also several restaurants, cafes, and ice cream shops located throughout the village. When it comes to luxury shopping, there's no better location to spend a little extra money than Highland Park Village in Dallas.
- Lakeside Park
Lakeside Park is a beautiful 16-acre park in the pricey Highland Park neighborhood, north of Turtle Creek. Lakeside Park is one of Dallas' most popular parks, with a variety of recreational options and picnic sites. The park has a selection of leisure activities such as walking, cycling, fishing, and picnicking. With lots of walking routes and seats along the banks of Turtle Creek, it's an ideal place for a peaceful stroll or picnic. The shores of Turtle Creek are also lovely to sit on and enjoy the environment. There is also a playground for children, as well as several other amenities that make this Dallas park ideal for sightseeing or jogging. If you're seeking a beautiful outdoor location in Dallas to enjoy, Lakeside Park is the place to go.