The capital of Massachusetts, Boston is one of the most historic cities in the United States. Founded in 1630, Boston is home to many landmarks, including the Freedom Trail, Fenway Park, and Beacon Hill. The city is also known for its vibrant culture and diverse population.
Boston is also a popular filming location. Iconic movies such as Good Will Hunting, The Departed, The Equalizer, Knives Out, and Don’t Look Up are only a few of the many ones filmed in this city.
With its abundant colleges and universities, Boston is a great place to shoot a video. The city's architecture and atmosphere provide a unique backdrop for any project. And with its convenient location on the East Coast, Boston is easy to get to from anywhere in the country.
Whether you're shooting a commercial, music video, or independent film, Boston is an ideal location for your project. Read the following city guide to help you get started!
Video Shoot Options in Boston
If you're shooting a video, you'll need to make sure your talent is looking their best. For that, you'll need a talented makeup artist who can enhance your talent’s facial features for the camera. Thankfully, Boston has many artists who specialize in this area. They can also help with hair and wardrobe if needed.
For any video shoot, you'll need a videographer. However, it’s important to find someone who specializes in whatever video type you’re shooting, whether it’s a commercial, a marketing video, a music video, a film, or something else. Luckily, you’ll find plenty of them in Boston, who can also help with lighting and set design if required.
No video shoot is complete without catering. It’s crucial to keep your crew fed and hydrated so they stay focused and energized, especially if the shoot will take long hours. To save time, it’s a good idea to hire a location caterer, so your team will not have to go out and search for restaurants anymore. Boston has many high-quality catering companies that can provide delicious food for your crew and talent. They can also help with setup and cleanup if needed.
Video Shoot Vendors in Boston
- Audio and Lighting Unlimited
Audio and Lighting Unlimited is a leading supplier of rental audio and lighting equipment in the area. They are a close neighbor to Boston, Massachusetts, specializing in all types of rentals. The company promises to deliver professional and affordable services to help your shoot become successful. Lighting equipment rentals include uplights, lighting trusses, and spotlights, among others.
- Lollie Videography
Lola & Hollie have been shooting weddings and other events for over 10 years. The wife-wife duo specializes in weddings, music videos, conferences, interviews, commercial videos, real estate videos, and more. When you hire their services, you get a two-videographer crew and at least two HD cameras to ensure that nothing is missed. The team’s fun-loving personalities will make you feel at ease while they capture all details of your video shoot.
- Lorrie Pearson Makeup Artist
If you need a makeup artist who is an expert in creating a “natural look,” look no further than Lorrie Pearson. The seasoned makeup artist has over 20 years of experience in the industry and specializes in highlighting a person’s natural features. Lorrie does makeup for fashion, editorial, TV shows, films, and video productions.
Pros and Cons of Video Shoots in Boston
There are many things to consider when deciding if Boston is the right location for your video shoot. Read on to find out if the city is a match for your needs:
- As an old major city, Boston has an early colonial architecture that lends the city a unique and historic atmosphere.
- Aside from the old buildings and docking bays, there is plenty of green space in Boston where you can shoot videos.
- The many colleges and universities in Boston can also serve as video shoot locations for educational, commercial, music video, or independent film projects.
- The city is conveniently located on the East Coast, so your crew and talent won’t find it very difficult to get here.
- Boston has a lot of local talent which you can utilize for your video shoot.
- Shooting in Boston may be costly. Rentals, utility prices, transportation fares, and gas prices are higher in this city than the national average.
- Being an East Coast city, it rains a lot in Boston in all seasons. The weather might change unexpectedly during your shoot, so you need to be prepared with a backup plan.
- Traffic congestion is possible, especially during rush hour, which happens between 4 pm to 7 pm.
Tips on How to Organize Video Shoots in Boston
Planning a video shoot in Boston can be a daunting task, but with a little preparation, it can be a breeze. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Choose your location carefully. Boston is full of historic and beautiful locations, but not all of them will be appropriate for your shoot. Do some research to find a spot that fits the feel of your project.
- Get permits early. If you're planning to shoot in a public place, you'll need to obtain a permit from the city. The process can take a few weeks, so make sure to apply for your permit well in advance of your shoot date.
- Hire local talent. Boston is home to some great actors and actresses, so why not take advantage of that? Hiring local talent will give your project a unique flavor and may even save you money.
- Plan for the weather. Boston is known for its unpredictable weather, so it's important to have a backup plan in case of rain or snow. Make sure you have access to an indoor location where you can continue shooting if the weather takes a turn for the worse.
- Be prepared for anything. There's no such thing as being too prepared when it comes to shooting video in Boston. From obtaining permits to dealing with the weather, there's always something that could go wrong.
Famous Locations in Boston
- Public Garden
The Public Garden is a magnificent place located in Boston. It's full of an array of flowers, trees, and plants, and the gardeners who work there are passionate about their techniques for collecting and growing new plants. In the greenhouse, they cultivate over 80 species of plants for the garden and other locations in the city. The Public Garden is a lovely place to visit if you're ever in Boston, with monuments, fountains, swan boats, and a lagoon for guests to appreciate and enjoy.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
The National Museum of African American History and Culture is devoted to keeping and celebrating African American history through events and exhibits. It focuses specifically on the outstanding achievements made by African Americans in New England. Some of the themes in this exhibit include African-American literature, for example, Frederick Douglass, and also the Freedom Rising Civil War display. The museum's event space regularly hosts book signings, as well as an annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. tribute. The museum is accessible to the public and features hundreds of carte-de-visites, lithographs, and original records regarding abolition and equal education efforts in Boston on the ground floor. Overall, the National Museum of African American History and Culture is an awe-inspiring place to learn about African American history and culture.
- Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
The Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum is a one-of-a-kind destination that transports guests back in time to the historic events of 1773. Visitors will see, hear, feel, and do as the people did over 200 years ago through interactive displays, multi-sensory documentaries, and live performers. Visitors will have a front-row seat to history from beginning to end, from meeting the rebels to authentically restoring tea ships and tossing tea overboard as the Sons of Liberty did. This activity is engaging and instructive, allowing guests to discover and learn about an important period in American history. On-site, there are many exhibits and activities available for all ages, such as a kids’ interactive area and avatar customization, among others. There are also plenty of food options on-site should you get hungry. The Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum is perfect for people of all ages who want to have an unforgettable time.