Boston is one of the most historic and culturally significant cities in the United States. It has a long colonial history dating back to the 18th century and is home to some of the country’s oldest and most iconic landmarks, such as the Bunker Hill Monument, Fenway Park, and Harvard University. Over the years, it has also developed into one of the premier cultural centers in America with numerous world-class museums, theaters, galleries, and music venues.
The bustling metropolis is also home to some of the nation’s best production companies, thanks to its expansive selection of well-equipped studios and production spaces. Aside from providing sets for movies and television shows, these also make ideal locations for corporate events, music videos, fashion shoots, and more. Furthermore, Boston's prime eastern coastline location grants easy access to New York City as well as other major East Coast markets which makes it an even more attractive venue for many productions.
Production Space Options in Boston
Need help ensuring that your cast members look their absolute best in front of the camera? Boston is home to many great makeup artists who can create whatever glamorous or professional look you need for your next production.
A professional videographer can help you create memorable, engaging content to suit any audience. Whether you’re producing a music video, corporate marketing material, or anything in between, an experienced videographer knows how to make your content stand out from the crowd.
Lighting is a crucial aspect that can make or break any creative project. Regardless of whether you’re capturing still or moving images, an experienced lighting designer can make sure your content looks as beautiful, professional, and memorable as possible.
Production Space Vendors in Boston
- Boston Light & Sound
Boston Light & Sound has been in the audiovisual presentation and installation industry for over 40 years, so they know their game when it comes to equipment rentals and integrations. The team offers a broad selection of audiovisual products, including both specialized and standard equipment, making Boston Light & Sound a one-stop shop for all your AV needs. If you're not entirely sure what you need, they can provide expert sound and projection integration services to create a truly spectacular visual and audio experience tailored specifically to your event or space. Rental and purchase options are available for specific products, so you can always take advantage of Boston Light & Sound’s expert service and knowledge, no matter what your budget or time frame is.
- Giovanni The Photographer & Videographer
As a professional photographer, Giovanni understands the importance of communication, quality, and excellent service. He has been recording and capturing memories for over a decade in the Boston area and is dedicated to finding a package and price that work for you. Whether you're looking for headshots, photo booth rentals, corporate shoots, or event photography, Giovanni knows how to capture the perfect moment. If you're looking for high-quality photography and videography services in the New England area, look no further than Giovanni The Photographer.
- Fei Xu
Fei Xu is a highly experienced and professional makeup artist who has been working in the beauty industry for over nine years. She has always been creative, and this led her to a career in makeup soon after she graduated from college. Throughout her journey, she has had the opportunity to work with some amazing clients, including celebrities such as Emma Watson and Sofia Coppola. Fei specializes in tv, film, and commercial production makeup and loves what she does. As a result of her passion and experience, she can provide her clients with beautiful results every time.
Pros and Cons of Production Spaces in Boston
There are a number of factors to consider when choosing production space in Boston. Here are some of the pros and cons to help you make your decision.
- Boston is home to a world-class film and television industry and has been the backdrop for numerous big-budget feature films. The city offers an abundance of talent, resources, equipment, and production value that makes it one of the best locations for production.
- The city’s infrastructure is well-suited for production spaces. From street grids to efficient transportation systems, it’s easy to get around the city quickly to get your shots. Facilities like sound stages are widely available as well along with access to creative minds from both universities and professionals in the industry.
- With its range of historical sites, modern architecture, iconic neighborhoods, beaches and waterfronts, natural landscapes, and dramatic landscapes all within a small space; Boston offers an incredibly wide range of shooting opportunities. This can be especially valuable if shooting on a tight budget or timeline.
- It can be difficult finding enough crew members with experience working on film sets due to the smaller size of productions most often seen in New England compared to larger productions found elsewhere.
- Springtime sees large amounts of rain throughout the area which makes outdoor shooting unpredictable at times.
- Traffic congestion throughout many parts of Boston can potentially cause delays if shooting on location even with prior permits secured from local municipalities.
Tips on How to Organize Production Spaces In Boston
Organizing production spaces in Boston can be a daunting task. However, there are some tips that can help make the process simpler. Let us see how to maximize space utilization and create a safe and organized environment for any production needs in Boston.
- Pick the right light: Ensure that production spaces have sufficient lighting and outlets to accommodate the necessary electronics and equipment.
- Utilize bins and containers that encourage visual organization: This will help workers find what they need without having to search through piles of items.
- Clean regularly: Schedule regular cleanings of your production spaces to keep the environment safe from debris or dust.
- Be safe: Prioritize safety measures by marking hazardous areas, providing barriers around machines, etc., as needed for working safely in Boston’s production spaces.
- Be healthy: Employ ergonomic furniture such as adjustable chairs or tables that support healthier posture during long periods of work time.
- Keep track of inventory levels both electronically and manually: This helps ensure production runs smoothly by preventing any unexpected shortages in materials or supplies.
Famous Locations in Boston
- Boston Common
Boston Common is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the city, and for good reason. As the oldest park in the United States, it has a rich history dating back to 1634. Today, the 50-acre park is a welcome oasis in the bustling city, and a starting point for the Freedom Trail, a 2.5-mile walking route that passes by 16 historically significant sites. Visitors can explore the park on foot or by bike, and there is plenty to see and do. Take a stroll through the gardens, relax on the lawn, or join one of the many events and activities that are held in the park throughout the year. With so much to offer, it's no wonder Boston Common is one of the city’s favorite attractions.
- The Museum of Fine Arts
The Museum of Fine Arts is not only one of the largest museums globally, but it also provides an opportunity for visitors to be exposed to a wide range of art from a plethora of cultures and periods. The museum holds an extensive collection of paintings, sculptures, photos, and other pieces from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all around the world. Moreover, the museum has evolved by adding a section specifically for contemporary art as well as versatile social and learning spaces. So if you’re craving some culture, the Museum of Fine Arts should be on your Boston must-do list.
- Boston's Freedom Trail
Boston's Freedom Trail is a 2.5-mile-long path that takes visitors through some of the most historically significant sites in Boston, including the Boston Massacre site, the Benjamin Franklin Statue, Boston Latin School, and the USS Constitution. The Freedom Trail Players are costumed tour guides who take visitors on an adventure through the history of the American Revolution. They provide an experience that is both educational and fun for the whole family. In addition to the official sites on the trail, there are many other sites of historical interest in and around Boston, including the Commonwealth Museum and the Minute Man National Historic Park. Whether you're a history buff or just looking for a unique way to explore Boston, the Freedom Trail is a great option.