About Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz is a picturesque coastal city in the Central Coast region of California. It's known for its lively beach culture and various outdoor activities, such as surfing and hiking. Over a million tourists also come here to visit the world-famous boardwalk, explore the redwood forests and mountains, and admire the majestic coastline.
The city’s beautiful coastal backdrop provides a stunningly cinematic atmosphere, with ample opportunities to capture gorgeous views or create dynamic tracking shots along the beach. It boasts awe-inspiring natural beauty, from breathtaking sunsets over Monterey Bay to rolling waves crashing against the shoreline, so every scene is packed with potential beauty shots. Plus, due to its mild climate and consistent temperature year-round, there's no need to worry about inclement weather during your video shoot.
Additionally, many businesses in town are accustomed to having film crews on location and have experience working with video production teams. These make them more accepting of accommodating requests, such as providing power for equipment or access to certain areas of their property. Also, unlike most major cities in California, where permits are required for commercial filming activities, Santa Cruz only requires permits when shooting on public property or near sensitive areas such as schools or hospitals.
Video Shoot Options in Santa Cruz
- Production Company
A production company is responsible for the overall management of a video shoot. This includes hiring and managing staff, coordinating with locations and other vendors, and ensuring that everything runs smoothly. A good company in Santa Cruz has a team of experienced professionals handling all aspects of the shoot, from pre-production to post-production.
You trust the catering services in Santa Cruz to provide healthy food and refreshing beverages for the cast and crew during a video shoot. They will work with the production company to ensure that everyone on set is well-fed and hydrated. These companies often have a wide variety of menu options, so you can be sure to find something that everyone will enjoy.
Make-up artists are experts in their field and can create any look you desire, from natural to glamorous and artistic. They are in charge of the cast's or model’s overall appearance. They will collaborate with the film crew and costume designer to ensure everyone appears their best on camera and the make-up matches the shoot’s concept.
- Janitorial Service
It will be the duty of a cleaning company to keep the area clean and neat during a video shoot. The cleaning specialists in Santa Cruz know what your filming locations need and focus on everyone’s safety and health. They'll ensure that everything is in its proper place and there are no fringes, junk, or safety hazards around before filming begins, creating a clean and safe environment for everyone.
Video Shoot Vendors in Santa Cruz
- Tam Communications
This video and digital media production company has over 35 years of experience delivering compelling media solutions for its clients in California. They are storytellers at heart and passionate about their community and work. The team serves Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley, and beyond with digital media productions and high-quality video, website development, full-scale event management, and social media strategies and implementation.
- Michi Catering
When Michi Shin opened the company in the early 1990s, he quickly made a name for himself by creating innovative Japanese cuisine. His unique dishes, which included sushi and other non-traditional items, soon caught the attention of the foodies in Silicon Valley. Today, the team is one of the leading Asian caterers in California. From corporate luncheons to wedding receptions, Shin and his team have caterings down to a science.
Bee-Clene is a one-stop janitorial service for all your cleaning needs. With expert commercial and residential services, it can come to your film set to tidy up and clean and even deliver handyman repair. The team is proud to say they are always up-to-date on the latest eco-friendly cleaning methods and products. Plus, they are experienced professionals trained to treat your workplace and video set with the utmost care and respect.
Pros and Cons of Video Shoots in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz is an ideal location for video shoots, offering stunning landscapes, locations, and activities to create truly captivating visual stories. With its Mediterranean climate and seemingly endless miles of coastline, the city’s breathtaking beauty makes it a great backdrop for filming. While there are many advantages to shooting in Santa Cruz, it also comes with some disadvantages.
- Santa Cruz boasts a wealth of diverse and spectacular settings for filming, making it easy for filmmakers to capture the perfect scenes. With its rolling hills, dramatic cliffs, gorgeous beaches, dense forests, and sprawling fields, the possibilities are nearly limitless.
- The city’s mild climate year-round also makes weather conditions ideal for outdoor shoots in any season—meaning that there are plenty of opportunities no matter the time of year.
- There is plenty of experienced crew and cast in Santa Cruz who can help make sure your shoot runs smoothly. Numerous local production companies have contacts that can provide sound technicians, editors, camera operators, and more.
- The cost of travel and accommodation can add up quickly when shooting in Santa Cruz as it is relatively far away from large cities with greater resources, meaning you may need to transport materials or personnel over long distances, which could become very expensive if done regularly.
- Though there are many options available in Santa Cruz, these locations tend to be highly sought after by producers, which means they can be challenging to acquire, or they may already be booked out by other productions, leading to availability issues that could affect your shoot schedule.
- Some areas require special permits or fees to film there so you must plan ahead and get all of the necessary paperwork completed before starting any production work in those areas.
Tips on How to Organize Video Shoots in Santa Cruz
Organizing a video shoot in Santa Cruz can be an exciting and rewarding experience. With its beautiful beaches, rolling hills, and picturesque views, it can be the perfect backdrop for any video. However, organizing a video shoot in Santa Cruz requires careful planning and attention to detail. Here are some tips on how to organize your video shoot in Santa Cruz:
- Research your location: Before you decide on a specific location for your video shoot, it's important to do some research about the area. Look at online reviews and photographs of potential locations to get an idea of what they look like. Also, read up on local regulations regarding filming permits and noise ordinances, so you don't run into any unexpected legal issues during your shoot.
- Consider the logistics: Think about how much time you will need for setup, shooting, and breakdown. Also, consider the size of your crew and equipment; make sure there is room for everyone to move around without being cramped or uncomfortable. You may also want to plan for meals or snacks if you’re shooting all day long.
- Choose the right time of day: Depending on what kind of footage you are trying to capture, you should choose the best time of day accordingly. For example, if you’re hoping to capture a stunning sunset over the horizon, don’t shoot late morning when the sun is too high in the sky! Make sure to check sunrise/sunset times ahead of time so that you know exactly when natural lighting will be optimal for your project.
- Incorporate props or costumes: Incorporating props or costumes into your shots can give them that extra pizzazz! Brainstorm with your team beforehand about which props would work best in specific scenarios. This way, everybody knows what they’re looking for while they’re scouting out locations before shooting begins.
- Hire backup equipment: It never hurts to have backup equipment handy just in case something goes wrong with one item or another during production. This could include things like extra batteries or memory cards as well as backups of cameras or audio recorders just in case something breaks down during filming.
Famous Locations in Santa Cruz
- Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
If you're a fan of camping and hiking, you'll definitely want to check out Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. The ancient redwoods soar overhead like living skyscrapers, with the tallest reaching around 280 feet. If you want to camp at the park, you can either sleep in your car or pitch a tent. Just keep in mind that there are no hook-ups available, so bringing a tent might be more comfortable. There are also restrooms with flush toilets and prepaid showers.
- Cowell Beach
Cowell Beach is one of California's most famous surf spots, known for its waves and breaks and its swathes of golden sands. It has phenomenal views of the ocean and pier and is a great place to surf, sunbathe, play volleyball, or stroll. The beach is only a short walk from Santa Cruz Main Beach and easy to find since it's right next to the city's wharf.
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park
This one is the oldest state park in California and is home to some of the tallest trees on Earth. The park features 80 miles of hiking trails, making it a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. One of the most popular trails is the Skyline to the Sea Trail, which backpackers can use to camp overnight along the way. With cascading waterfalls, towering redwoods, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, the Park is truly one of the most beautiful places in the United States.