About Newport Beach
Newport Beach, California, is a premier destination for video shoots. Located in Orange County, the city has a beautiful coastline along with the beautiful Newport Harbor and Balboa Peninsula. It's one of those places that looks different in almost every season, which makes it a great spot for photographers and videographers.
The area is known for its gorgeous beaches, fantastic weather year-round, and vibrant culture. During the summer months, you'll see boats of all sizes in the harbor and on the beach. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops to explore while you're there. The city also has many attractions to visit including the Balboa Fun Zone pier, an amusement park that stretches out over the water, as well as historic landmarks like the Balboa Pavilion and Balboa Island Ferry. There are also great local spots such as Newport Beach Public Library or Newport Pier, where you can watch surfers catch waves. Newport Beach offers various kinds of activities such as kite surfing, sailing, paddleboarding, or kayaking at Back Bay Nature Preserve where you can get up close to nature while shooting your videos. If you're looking for something more active then try hiking through Corona del Mar State Beach or Crystal Cove State Park with its famous tide pools where you can observe sea life up close.
Finally, if you want to get inspired by some iconic video shoots then take a trip down memory lane at locations like Inspiration Point or Fashion Island Mall where they shot scenes from classic films like Grease or Dirty Dancing. Whatever kind of video shoot you're after, Newport Beach has something to offer everyone!
Video Shoot Options in Newport Beach
- Production Companies
Production companies consist of technical professionals who are skilled at producing screen content as well as putting together theatrical performances. Working with a production studio in Newport Beach lessens the load because they typically handle the budgeting, scripting, scheduling, and pre and post-production processes.
When it comes to catering for a video shoot, Newport Beach has no shortage of options. From simple food trucks that specialize in preparing sandwiches and salads to starred restaurants that offer elaborate three-course meals; you can find a catering company in Newport Beach to deliver meals to your video shoot.
All video shoots rely on a set of equipment to capture the desired footage. Cameras, lights, and microphones are the core filming equipment needed for every shoot. Film equipment rental companies in Newport Beach have catalogs of production gear for rent. Most typically also offer consultation services, technical expertise, and delivery/operation/removal services.
- Makeup and Hairstyle Artists
If you want your actors or models to look their best, you'll need to hire a make-up artist and hairstylist. There are plenty of talented professionals in Newport Beach who can help you create the perfect look for your project.
Video Shoot Vendors in Newport Beach
- The Emotion Picture Studio
The Emotion Picture Studio is a media company that specializes in documenting special occasions. Their approach to the process is to consider your event as a work of art, and they strive to capture the emotions as a visual storytelling device. Their team of skilled videographers will work with you to create a custom video that captures the essence of your function.
- Staged Cinema
With over 50,000 costumes in its inventory, Staged Cinema is the go-to business for your wardrobe rental needs. They categorize their costumes by famous shows, including “Peter Pan,’ “The King and I,” and “West Side Story.” They also offer custom handmade costumes as well as one-on-one consultations with a wardrobe designer.
- Iron Catering Crew
Since 2016, the Iron Catering Crew has provided a range of exquisite food services to clients around Los Angeles and the greater Orange County area. Their approach is to treat food like art and curate remarkable dining experiences. They provide a wide menu of catering assistance, including personal chef services.
Pros and Cons of Video Shoots in Newport Beach
There are many things to consider when deciding whether or not to shoot your video in Newport Beach. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to help you make your decision:
- The stunning views of Newport Beach make for an ideal backdrop for video shoots, with crystal-clear waters and a plethora of diverse marine life on offer. It is an ideal location for any type of shoot, from corporate videos to music videos.
- The consistent weather in Newport Beach is perfect for filming videos outdoors all year round; the average temperature is 73 degrees Fahrenheit and the temperatures rarely vary more than six degrees throughout the year.
- The city offers a wide array of different shooting locations, including beaches, parks, piers, docks, marinas, waterfront homes, and more.
- Filmmakers have access to top-notch production crews and equipment rental companies in Newport Beach that can provide everything needed for a successful video shoot at an affordable cost.
- Due to its popularity as a tourist destination and its proximity to Los Angeles and Hollywood, filming permits can be hard to come by in Newport Beach. Filmmakers often have to apply months in advance to secure the proper permits needed for their projects.
- There is limited parking available near the popular beach locations, which can make it difficult for large production crews to access them on busy days or during peak tourist season.
- Depending on the project and budget limitations, hiring professional actors or extras may be necessary; however, there are few talent agencies located near Newport Beach, so sourcing these individuals could prove difficult or expensive depending on the needs of the filmmaker’s project requirements.
Tips on How to Organize Video Shoots in Newport Beach
Once you've decided to shoot your video in Newport Beach, it's time to start planning. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Research the area: Familiarize yourself with the area you'll be shooting in by looking at maps, local magazines, and photos of Newport Beach so you can plan out your shots accordingly. Visit local venues and attractions related to the video shoot to get a sense of the layout and how people interact within the space.
- Plan for weather: Make sure that your equipment is properly protected from any potential inclement weather conditions, and plan alternative shooting locations just in case.
- Book ahead: Whenever possible, try to book any necessary equipment or services ahead of time since it can be difficult to find what you need quickly while on-site. It's also important to consider parking availability near where you'll be shooting to ensure that everyone has easy access to their gear and supplies.
- Consider insurance: Investing in event insurance should be a priority when organizing a video shoot in Newport Beach due to its highly populated tourist spots and its proximity to bodies of water. This will help protect crew members from any potential risks that may arise during filming.
- Think through logistics: When planning out your shots, make sure that you take into account all available resources, such as lights and camera angles, so that they can be used efficiently while filming. Additionally, consider having extra crew members on-site just in case anything unexpected happens or if someone gets sick during filming – it's always better to have more hands on deck than not enough.
Famous Locations in Newport Beach
- Corona del Mar State Beach
Spending a day at Corona Del Mar State Beach is one of the best ways to enjoy what Newport Beach has to offer. It is a half-mile-long safe sandy beach that families and swimmers enjoy. Newport Harbor's rock jetty serves as the entrance to the beach, while the cliffs above it are popular diving sites. Sunbathing, surfing, and beach volleyball are other popular activities in the area. The Corona del Mar State Park was founded in 1947, and because it covers 30 acres, it also goes by the Big Corona Beach.
- Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve
The Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve in Southern California is a beloved destination for birdwatchers and nature-lovers alike. Over 35,000 birds migrate through the Preserve annually, along the Pacific Flyway, making it one of the best places in California to spot rare or beautiful birds. The preserve is also a popular spot for hikes, horseback rides, and bike excursions. Families with young children enjoy visiting the on-site Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center where they can learn about local ecology through fun interactive exhibits.
- The Environmental Nature Center
The Environmental Nature Center is a 3.5-acre facility that houses collections of 15 plant habitats. Opened in 1972, the center includes walking paths, animal habitats, and plant ecosystems such as desert, freshwater marsh, oak woods, and redwood forests. Nicknamed "The ENC," the facility is recognized for its emphasis on education. The center also operates a butterfly habitat and hands-on Nature Museum, while also running summer nature camps. A variety of birds and other animals also reside at The ENC, making it an ideal location for birdwatching enthusiasts.