About Newport Beach
Newport Beach is a well-known city located in California's Orange County. It has a population of 87,000 and spans 8.8 miles of the Pacific Ocean coastline. This area is known for its pleasant year-round climate, with easy access to the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean as well as local marinas and yacht clubs. Newport Beach is highly desirable for residents and visitors alike due to its many beaches, parks, shopping areas, restaurants, and activities.
For producers looking to film or host productions in Newport Beach, there are many unique benefits. With its mild climate and wide range of scenery – from the sandy beaches to downtown stores and parks – this city offers something for everyone. Its proximity to Los Angeles also makes it an ideal locale for filming or hosting productions; producers can take advantage of the city’s distinct character and scenery while still being within reach of Hollywood’s major movie studios and production facilities. Additionally, local businesses often offer discounts on services related to film production or hosting events in Newport Beach, making it a cost-effective option.
Finally, the city prides itself on having world-class accommodations and attractions that will make any production feel like a home away from home while still providing something new and exciting for participants.
Production Options in Newport Beach
Depending on the needs of a production, Newport Beach lighting companies can provide an array of services geared towards illuminating the stage/sets. Most of these businesses rent out equipment, provide lighting design services, and offer technical support to content creators. Best still, they deliver the necessary gear, set the lighting up, operate the equipment, and perform removal services once production wraps up.
- Equipment Rentals
The film equipment rental companies in Newport Beach not only provide inventories of cameras and other gear for rent, but they have experienced professionals who can offer their technical know-how. Whether you need cameras and lenses or sound gear and lighting equipment; the rental businesses have what you need.
- Photographers and Videographers
Skilled photographers and videographers in Newport Beach have mastered the art of capturing the magic. Whether you want event coverage, film production cinematography, or social media content creation; videographers will record the footage you need while photographers snap beautiful images for promotional purposes.
- Costumes and Props
Costumes and props are an integral part of the story-telling process. They help actors transition into their on-screen/stage characters while also setting the scene, in terms of identifying the time period and place. You can get what your production needs from the costume and prop rental companies in Newport Beach.
Production Vendors in Newport Beach
- Glenn Inskeep Photography Portrait Studio
Glenn Inskeep Photography is a premier portrait studio that excels at providing on-site and studio photography. In addition to supplying stunning headshots, family photographs, maternity photos, engagement pictures, and everything in between, they also use professional lighting to snap beautiful images. And because convenience is key — you get to view and purchase your high-quality edited images after your photo session.
- LIV Technical Integration, LLC
With the help of an experienced production company like LIV Technical Integration, LLC, you are assured of putting together a successful shoot. Based in Los Angeles, the production company offers audio, lighting, and video rental equipment. From live music events to private parties and corporate gatherings, LIV Technical Integration has the experience and expertise to handle the technical A to Zs related to your event coverage needs.
- Create A Party Rentals
Create A Party Rentals does exactly what its name implies; they connect event planners with everything needed to get the party started. The company’s inventory of rentals can prove beneficial to productions. That includes their catalog of tents & canopies, lighting, heating & cooling, tables, chairs & barstools, linens, umbrellas, and dance floor staging products.
Pros and Cons of Productions in Newport Beach
A production in Newport Beach has both its pros and cons that should be carefully considered before undertaking any project:
- Located in Orange County just south of Los Angeles, Newport Beach is close enough to LA to make it convenient for many productions while still providing a distinct change of scenery.
- With plenty of restaurants, hotels, and other amenities nearby, Newport Beach offers comfortable accommodations that make long shoots more bearable.
- It's well known that production crews enjoy shooting on location in Newport Beach because of its stunning natural beauty and diverse landscapes ranging from rolling hillsides to stunning beaches.
- The cost of filming, both for equipment and labor, is usually higher than in other areas due to its popularity as a tourist attraction.
- The city has limited parking spaces that could be used for crews and equipment, making it difficult to film larger scenes.
- Weather conditions in Newport Beach can vary drastically throughout the year, making it hard to predict what kind of lighting and temperature fluctuations a production might encounter.
Tips on How to Organize Productions in Newport Beach
There are a few things to keep in mind when organizing productions in Newport Beach:
- Make a detailed production budget: Before beginning any production in Newport Beach, it is important to have a comprehensive budget created. Take into consideration any permits, payments to crew and actors, accommodations, catering costs, transportation fees, and other expenses that may arise. This will help with the financial planning of the project and ensure that the production doesn’t end up spending more than allocated.
- Research local film locations: Newport Beach has many beautiful public areas that could be used for filming such as parks, beaches, and community centers. It is also possible to secure permission from private residence owners or commercial businesses to use their properties as shooting locations.
- Network with local filmmakers: Connecting with local filmmakers can help create connections between crew members and other resources necessary for a successful production shoot in Newport Beach. The filmmaking community in this area is tight-knit, which can help you find the experience or equipment needed for the job at hand.
- Secure necessary city permits: Producing a movie or video requires obtaining the proper city permits before filming within city limits. Failing to do so can lead to hefty fines or even having your production shut down by law enforcement if caught violating filming regulations in Newport Beach.
- Plan for unforeseen issues: Despite doing all the research and planning ahead of time, unfortunately, there can always be unexpected issues that arise during any production shoot – especially outdoors on location with fluctuating environmental conditions. Have contingency plans ready just in case something goes wrong so you’re prepared for anything that might come up during the filming process.
Famous Locations in Newport Beach
- Newport Beach Pier
The Newport Beach Pier is an iconic landmark located towards the northern end of the Balboa Peninsula. It is a popular spot for fishing, and sightseers also enjoy taking in the stunning views of the ocean and beach from the pier. The current structure dates back to 1940, and it was constructed at the site where a hurricane destroyed an older wharf. The pier is 314 meters long and was originally built for shipping purposes. There are also several shops and cafes located near the pier if you fancy grabbing a bite or drink before heading to the beach.
- The Balboa Fun Zone
The Balboa Fun Zone is one of Southern California's few remaining amusement areas near the coast. You can play games in the arcade, ride the waterfront Ferris Wheel, or tour the nautical museum while eating your favorite beach snacks. The Fun Zone is also the perfect place to rent bikes, go on harbor cruises, or whale-watching trips. You can make a day out of it by visiting Catalina Island. The new Balboa Fun Zone owners, a local family, have promised to work with the city of Newport Beach and its residents to restore this 80-year-old landmark over the next several years. Everyone deserves some fun in their lives, and that is why this family is committed to restoring this destination where people can make memories for generations to come.
- Sculpture Exhibition in Civic Center Park
Nestled in the heart of Newport Beach, the Sculpture Exhibition In Civic Center Park is a hidden gem. The park is home to a collection of sculptures, including a rotating exhibit of art loaned from local artists and organizations. With almost 500,000 square feet of land to explore, the Civic Center Park also features a playground, picnic areas, and plenty of open spaces. If you ate bringing the kids along, see Marisabel Bazan's Migration of My Dreams. This installation makes live butterflies spring to life, adding a small bit of whimsy to the park.