About New York
New York City has a long and storied history of being one of the world's most vibrant and exciting cities. With its iconic skyline, bustling streets, cultural attractions, and diverse population New York is equally as beautiful as it is unique.
When it comes to weddings, the Big Apple remains a popular destination for couples looking for a romantic backdrop for their special day. A majority of couples choose to tie the knot in the City That Never Sleeps due to its vast array of venues, from grand ballrooms with commanding views of the city to cozy little eateries tucked away in a side street.
Moreover, with its charming architecture, bustling atmosphere, and countless cultural sites, NYC provides a stunning backdrop for small weddings that are sure to be memorable. From traditional ceremonies to private receptions celebrated at any number of intimate restaurants scattered throughout town, you can easily find something suitable no matter what kind of small wedding you are considering in New York City.
Small Wedding Options in New York
When it comes to catering for a small wedding in New York, there are plenty of options. The city’s catering companies specialize in serving all kinds of occasions, so you are sure to find a caterer who fits your budget and style. For a truly unique experience, consider hiring a food truck for your reception. It is a lovely nod to a prominent part of the city’s food scene and a great option for small weddings.
- Wedding Cake
The wedding cake is the highlight of the reception, often because it creates a spectacle. For a small occasion, you can still pull all the stops and get a grand dessert for the occasion. The selections of bakeries in New York are happy to take care of your baked goods needs.
No wedding is complete without flowers, and there are diverse ways to incorporate them into your small wedding. If you want to save money, consider using potted plants or succulents instead of traditional floral arrangements and centerpieces. You can also use silk flowers, which last longer and won't wilt in the summer heat.
When it comes to decorating a small wedding venue in New York, the age-old adage about less being more applies. You don't want to overwhelm your guests with a crowded venue, so stick to a few tastefully selected pieces that make a big impact. Consider hanging lanterns or string lights from the ceiling, or using colorful fabric to create a backdrop for your ceremony. Enlist the services of a wedding decorator in New York to source your chosen venue.
- Wedding Favors
Whether yours is a destination wedding or not, it is a kind gesture to offer your guests tokens of appreciation. Several wedding gift shops in New York have selections of suitable favors that your guests are sure to love.
Small Wedding Companies in New York
- Camille Angela Services
Camille Angela Services offers a delicious and convenient solution for all your cheesecake needs. Whether you're planning a wedding, a Sweet Sixteen, or just want to show your loved ones how much you care, Camille Angela Services has the perfect cheesecake for every occasion. And because they deliver straight to your door or venue, your cake arrives fresh and delicious.
- The Chef’s Table
The Chef's Table is a one-stop shop for all your catering needs. They have a wide variety of menu options and accommodate various group sizes. Whether you are planning an outdoor wedding, corporate event, family reunion, or birthday party, The Chef's Table has a menu to fit. They also cater to private dinner parties and offer cooking classes.
- Joanna Berkun Florals and Events
Joanna Berkun Florals and Events is a boutique style that specializes in creating beautiful, magical spaces. Joanna works closely with each client to create the event of their dreams, whether it's a whimsical children's party, intimate dinner, or fabulous wedding. Her sophisticated, lush, and charming floral arrangements are unique and truly take your breath away.
Pros and Cons of Small Wedding Venues in New York
Small weddings in New York City have become increasingly popular over the past few years. Let’s look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of having a smaller wedding in NYC.
- One of the most significant benefits of having a smaller wedding is that it allows for an intimate setting.
- Having a small wedding also means saving on overall expenses, as fewer items will be purchased and less space to rent out.
- With fewer guests, couples who opt for small weddings have much more freedom when planning, from venue selection to food choices and decorations.
- Despite allowing greater intimacy between couples and their closest friends and family, one downside to having a small wedding is that it often excludes distant relatives or acquaintances.
- Depending on the size of the venue chosen or the type of services hired, couples could feel overwhelmed by catering staff or vendors who are used to providing services for more significant events; this could limit the personal attention they receive during the event.
- In contrast with larger weddings, where there are usually multiple coordinators assigned to handle various aspects such as entertainment or catering, couples planning small weddings will likely need to do all the research themselves, which can sometimes become quite daunting.
Tips on How to Organize Small Weddings in New York
A small wedding is an intimate and beautiful occasion. However, organizing a small wedding can also be challenging, with many details to take into account.
- Choose the right venue: A small wedding doesn't need ample space, so look for a cozy and intimate venue. A restaurant or private home are great options.
- Work on your guest list: Hosting a small wedding means you can invite everyone you genuinely want to be there, so take the time to consider who you would like to invite thoughtfully.
- Keep the decor simple but elegant: Too much decor can make a small space feel cramped, so stick to a few key pieces that will enhance the venue's beauty without overwhelming it.
- Plan an unforgettable experience for your guests: A small wedding allows you to personalize your event and create an experience that your guests will remember for years.
Famous Locations in New York
- Central Park
Central Park needs little introduction, having been popularized by features in numerous productions. The park offers a variety of beautiful features, including the Conservatory Garden, the Bow Bridge, and Belvedere Castle. Central Park also boasts many different eating establishments from hot dog and ice cream carts to restaurants with seated meals. After your big day, you and your new partner can spend the day here enjoying the attractions.
- Queens Botanical Garden
The Queens Botanical Garden is a beautiful oasis located in the middle of New York City. Occupying 39 acres, the garden features a variety of flowers, trees, and plants, making it a perfect place to relax and enjoy the sensational vibrant blooms and greenery. The Queens Botanical Garden runs several educational programs focused on nature study, craft activities, and gardening concepts if you are interested in learning something new.
- Empire State Building
Another famous place to visit in New York is the Empire State Building. It is one of the most photographed buildings in the world and has been featured in many movies, television shows, commercials, and advertisements. At over 1,200 feet tall, you can see it from anywhere in the city but why not take a tour of it while you are in town? You can even see King Kong!