About New York
New York is known for having an energetic vibe that’s infectious to anyone visiting the city. People are always on the go, giving off an exciting and fast-paced atmosphere that can be felt when walking through any neighborhood. It is situated near the mouth of the Hudson River in southeastern New York State and has a long and storied history as one of America's earliest settlements. The Big Apple was founded by Dutch colonists in 1624 and named after The Duke of York. This city features over 600 total miles of subway track throughout its intricate system. This makes it a very accessible city through its public transit.
Barn weddings in New York have become increasingly well-liked due to their unique charm and rustic ambiance. With stunning views of rolling hillsides or vast stretches of farmland, such affairs offer a one-of-a-kind adventure for those seeking to tie the knot in an environment that will always be remembered fondly for decades to come. Plus, thanks to the many nearby farms that are now converting old barns into wedding sites, couples have more options than ever when discovering the perfect location for their celebration. The countryside surroundings can give a sense of peace and serenity, which can be hard to find amidst the neon lights and crowded streets of urban areas.
Barn Wedding Options in New York
- Custom Clothing
Offering custom-made clothing is an excellent way to make a barn wedding unique and special. Guests could be provided with items like personalized cowboy hats, embroidered robes, or bowtie sets. Couples can also choose to include matching bridal party attire or even his-and-hers outfits for the newlyweds. This is a great way for everyone to express their style and memories of the day long after it’s over.
Professional photography is a must at any barn wedding. A skilled photographer will be able to capture the rustic charm of the venue as well as candid moments of guests enjoying themselves throughout the day. Duos should look for photographers who have experience shooting this type of gathering and can confirm that their photos will turn out beautiful and timeless.
This classic wedding accent adds sophistication to an outdoor setting like such a wedding. Search for pieces that reflect the rustic vibe while still being modern; think dainty pendants or delicate earrings rather than bold statement pieces. You can also find jewelry incorporating natural materials like turquoise, wood, or even antlers for an extra sole touch.
Music choices are essential when it comes to hosting any kind of celebration, but especially so at a barn wedding. The perfect DJ knows how to get people on their feet and keep them there, with electric energy filling up the room all night long. Ensure your DJ has experience playing high-energy music and knows how to read a crowd.
Barn Wedding Vendors in New York
- Lai's Royal Tailoring
For over thirty years, Lai Wa Yee has been tailoring and creating gorgeous custom clothing for special occasions. In 1997, she decided to share her skills with the world and thus began her own custom tailoring store. If you're in need of a bespoke outfit that's tailored just for you, look no further. Lai Wa Yee and her team specialize in traditional Chinese dresses (Qipao / Cheongsam), wedding, bridesmaid, and prom dresses, plus evening gowns and Latin dance costumes. From customizing an item of existing clothing to creating one from scratch, let them help you look your best for any happening.
For over 30 years, their diamond store in the heart of the diamond district in New York has been committed to providing top-notch customer satisfaction. Honesty and mutual trust have always been at the forefront of their priorities. As a proud member of the New York Diamond Dealers Club (DDC), the team takes expert knowledge of diamonds and presents it to you through countless creations. Their jewelry is the perfect addition to any special occasion.
- Mariah Bucu Photography
With a passion for the arts that spans across mediums and cultures, Mariah Bucu is a true professional with a creative edge. She's developed an artistic perception through traveling and experiencing beautiful stories worldwide. From the sandy beaches of Mexico to the rolling hills of Chile, this photographer has captured love in all its forms. With the ability to traverse any terrain and capture the essence of any couple's unique love story, the girl is truly an impressive talent. Her work is timeless and though she is based in New York, she is excited to travel anywhere for her job.
Pros and Cons of Barn Wedding Venues in New York
Barn weddings have become a popular choice for many couples in New York looking to host a unique and special celebration. Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons of having a barn wedding in New York.
- Barns offer a great, intimate vibe for your special day, as well as a unique backdrop for photos. This creates a comfortable and social atmosphere for your guests to be able to mingle and party in.
- Many locations are located in rural areas with sweeping views of nature like rolling hills or lush forests that make for a good experience. These lush landscapes create a beautiful natural ambiance at your occasion and offer a breath of fresh air to everyone present.
- Numerous barns are designed with multiple event spaces, so you can easily customize the layout of your celebration. These locations tend to not only be wide open but also span outside as well as indoors, allowing guests ample space to move around and for you to set up the decor you want.
- Nature conditions can be unpredictable which may cause problems if your ceremony needs to be moved indoors at short notice. Inclement weather can cause discomfort and irritation to your guests, especially if it makes the venue space smaller since the outdoors will no longer be accessible.
- Your wedding could create noise that may disturb neighboring properties or wildlife in rural areas because they often lack adequate insulation or soundproofing. Certain venues have strict noise restrictions that must be respected.
- Some barns have strict rental time frames which restrict how much time you have for setting up or tearing down embellishments before and after your big day. This can make some aspects of the wedding feel rushed if they aren’t timed accordingly.
Tips on How to Organize Barn Wedding Venues in New York
Arranging a barn wedding in New York can be stressful and overwhelming. With the right planning and research, however, you’ll be able to create a mesmerizing adventure for your guests. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Before you secure a specific venue, ensure that it meets all the regulations of hosting a wedding in New York. This includes checking the venue's capacity, fire safety inspections, and any necessary zoning permits. Make sure the venue is the right size to accommodate all of the guests on your list so that there is no crowding.
- Barn weddings can range from being simple and intimate to grandiose and extravagant. Set a budget beforehand so that you don't end up spending more than desired. It’s also a good idea to lay out potential venues and vendors so you can plan what an ideal budget is, and if you can afford the setup you have in your head.
- With such weddings comes plenty of design potential. Choose a vibe that aligns with your vision for the special day. This will help guide your decisions when decorating the venue as well as selecting attire.
- Invite local vendors who specialize in barn weddings such as florists, caterers, event planners, etc. Not only does this support small businesses but it also saves time since they’re already familiar with the location.
Famous Locations in New York
- Daredevil Tattoo Museum
For tattoo enthusiasts and those interested in the history of tattooing, Daredevil Tattoo's museum is a must-see. Co-owner Brad Fink has spent the last 27 years amassing an impressive collection of tattoo memorabilia, and now it is on display at the tattoo shop's bigger location. It's hard to believe that New York City banned tattooing in 1961 and only lifted the ban in 1997. But thanks to Fink's and his team's dedication, we can now see original artwork by legendary tattooists and even Thomas Edison's electric motor-driven pen, which revolutionized the tattoo industry. If you want to learn more about the intriguing history of such a form of art, the museum is the place to be.
- Hispanic Society Museum and Library
The museum has a rich history of showcasing world-class art, as evident by its legendary exhibit of Joaquín Sorolla's paintings over a century ago. In homage to its past, the museum is reopening its doors after a major renovation with a special exhibition featuring Sorolla, alongside other celebrated artists. With works spanning from Spain to Latin America and from figurative to abstract art, this exhibit is not one to miss. The library contains hundreds of thousands of books, artifacts, and documents from Latin history, making it an amazing walk through the past when visited.
- Coney Island Beach
With subway access, visitors can easily explore the sandy stretches and boardwalk of Coney Island Beach, teeming with two amusement parks. Luna Park houses heart-pumping rides such as the iconic Cyclone roller coaster. Meanwhile, Deno's Wonder Wheel, built in 1920, offers incredible views of the oceanfront and the city skyline. The restaurant that first opened its doors in 1916, Nathan’s Famous, still stands today, inviting visitors to taste its legendary hot dogs and witness the annual Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4th weekend. But, that's not all. The famous Mermaid Parade takes place in June, adding more appeal to this already alluring destination, allowing visitors to witness the city's largest art parade and welcome the arrival of summer.