Malibu is located along the scenic Pacific coastline in southern California, just 30 miles west of Los Angeles. It has become one of the most iconic and beautiful destinations in the United States thanks to its stunning beaches, mountains, and canyons. The history of Malibu is long and fascinating. Long before Europeans arrived in Southern California, Chumash Native Americans lived on this land for centuries, and despite numerous invasions from Spanish settlers, many still call Malibu home today.
The movie industry began to take an interest in Malibu when Paramount Pictures established an outpost at Point Dume in 1927 as a backdrop for their films. Filmmakers quickly realized that many locations within Malibu could be used as stand-ins for any number of places worldwide. The city's topography enables filmmakers to shoot almost anywhere they need without ever leaving town.
In addition to being a popular location for filming movies and TV shows, Malibu is also renowned among photographers. They’re drawn by its breathtaking views, wildflowers blooming in springtime, rolling hills, and valleys that echo with birdsong each morning. It's truly not hard to see why creative artists and production companies have been flocking to Malibu.
Production Options in Malibu
There are many videographers in Malibu who can convert your ideas, vision, or event to video format. Besides their skills and experience, videographers offer creative input and technical advice, and most come equipped with the necessary gear to work on your project.
The catering companies in Malibu are available to ensure your production crew is well-fed. Whether you want snacks and meals throughout the day or assistance working on a menu for a wrap party or screening event, collaborate with a caterer in Malibu.
- AV Equipment
Film equipment takes a chunk of the production budget, and a go-between is renting the costlier gear. The equipment rental companies in Malibu stock catalogs of AV gear, ranging from cameras and lenses to mixers and lavalier microphones.
- Makeup and Hairstyle
Makeup and hair go beyond just beautifying or performing cosmetic transformations on your talent. They assist with the continuity process, particularly when shooting a scripted show. Hair and makeup stylists in Malibu can also assist with special effects transformations.
Staffing agencies in Malibu exist to connect employers with the right skilled professionals. It is the same case for productions, and staffing businesses can help you recruit videographers, lighting professionals, sound technicians, and directors for your project.
Production Vendors in Malibu
- Bokeh Rentals
Bokeh Rentals is a Los Angeles/Hollywood-based business that provides up-to-date filming equipment at great prices and speedy service. Their wide range of rentals includes cameras, lenses, and lighting equipment. The company also stocks equipment from diverse reputable brands, including Sony, Arri, Red, and Blackmagic.
- Up There Films
Up There Films understand that getting the perfect shot requires experience and a careful eye. That's why they're dedicated to making the process as easy and stress-free as possible. And they're always happy to work with clients to tailor their projects to their budgets, so choose them if you're looking for professional video or photography services. They'll be happy to help you capture the perfect moment.
- Malibu Films
Malibu Films presents a team of multitalented individuals who share a passion for multimedia arts. Their expertise is in video production, and they have worked on a range of projects from commercials to music videos. Whether you only need assistance with the pre-production stage or the whole shebang, contact Malibu Films.
- Malibu Seaside Chef
Gina Clarke-Helm, who grew up in San Luis Obispo and traveled extensively, launched Malibu Seaside Chef to bring some of the flavors she experienced to California. The heart of her business is in providing experiences, beyond simply supplying hearty meals made using the freshest, quality ingredients.
Pros and Cons of Productions in Malibu
Production spaces in Malibu are becoming increasingly popular for many film and television productions. While the advantages are plentiful, there are certain downsides one should consider when using production spaces in Malibu.
- The area has many scenic locations, making it a sensational backdrop for films and TV shows.
- It is conveniently located near other major motion picture hubs, including Hollywood, Burbank, and Culver City. This makes it easy for productions to access other studios or facilities in the area as needed.
- An abundance of experienced professionals specializes in providing a wide range of services related to film and TV production spaces throughout Malibu.
- Despite its beautiful scenery, filming outside can be unpredictable due to seasonal weather patterns, which can cause challenges when shooting on deadlines or tight schedules.
- Finding parking or accommodations for cast and crew can be difficult due to limited space availability in some areas of town and strict regulations regarding noise levels or traffic congestion since most locations are residential neighborhoods or public parks where people live nearby.
- Prices for renting out production facilities can be high because competition among local businesses is fierce due to the number of productions occurring each year within the exact location.
Tips on How to Organize Productions in Malibu
Filmmaking in Malibu can bring a certain charm and allure to any project. But with so much possibility comes the need for careful planning and organization. Here are some tips on how to organize a production in Malibu:
- Research the area: Familiarizing yourself with the geography of Malibu is essential for a successful production. Take time to get to know the terrain, climate, and available resources to make informed decisions about what areas are best for filming and which could pose a risk to your crew’s safety.
- Secure permits: Before you start shooting, you’ll need to obtain all the necessary permits from local authorities. These will vary depending on where you want to shoot, so be sure to research what goes into obtaining them before heading out into the field.
- Choose equipment wisely: Once permits are secured, it’s time to choose the right equipment for your shoot. Factors such as the type of environment or terrain you’ll be filming will determine what cameras or lighting tools work best in those conditions.
- Craft a schedule: Having an organized daily production schedule helps keep everyone on task throughout each day of filming. When creating this plan, ensure it includes meal breaks and other rest periods that allow everyone enough time to recharge without compromising productivity levels.
Famous Locations in Malibu
- Point Dume State Beach and Preserve
The County of Los Angeles operates and maintains the Point Dume State Beach and Preserve, ensuring it is always well-kept and clean. Whether you want to go fishing, diving, swimming, or surfing, all roads lead to this stunning beach. The best time to visit is between December and April when you can witness the California gray whale migration.
- Leo Carrillo State Park
Leo Carrillo State Park is a gorgeous destination for all your favorite outdoor activities. The state park is dedicated to American actor Leo Carrillo, and the 1.5-mile sandy paradise is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, windsurfing, and surfing. Take a hike on the backcountry trails or camp at one of the well-sized sites available.
- Malibu Pier
Malibu Pier is one of the most popular fishing spots in California. It spans 780 feet and provides plenty of space for anglers to set up equipment. Even if you don't fish, the dock is a great place to relax and enjoy the view from one of the restaurants at the end of the pier.