Houston is the fourth-largest city in the United States and the largest city in Texas. Positioned in the southeastern region of Texas, not far from Galveston Bay and the Gulf Coast, Houston is a thriving metropolis renowned for its manifold cultural destinations, medical prowesses, professional sports teams, and efficient transportation systems. It is home to NASA's Johnson Space Center and the world's largest concentration of healthcare and research institutions.
Houston is home to the largest urban park system in the United States, boasting over 11,000 acres of land with 10 wetland preserves and 170 miles of hiking and biking trails. Incredibly, Houston has so many outdoor recreational options for everyone!
With this in mind, the city is an excellent destination to tie the knot. Couples have endless possibilities here—whether it be scenic parks, waterfront properties, gardens, or country clubs—when searching for a beautiful and memorable location for their big day. Numerous venues available within Houston grant lovely natural surroundings to celebrate your nuptials outdoors with family and friends.
Outdoor Wedding Options in Houston
- Wedding Planners
Numerous professional wedding planners in Houston can take care of all the details associated with planning an outdoor wedding. They will help coordinate vendors and manage logistics, including organizing venues and handling contracts while also helping to ensure timelines are adhered to and budgets are maintained. Wedding planners have extensive experience in dealing with all aspects of a wedding ceremony as well as reception planning.
- Photographers and Videographers
A professional photographer or videographer is essential for capturing every moment of your special day outdoors. Wedding photographers specialize in taking amazing photos both before and during your ceremony, while videographers focus on creating beautiful videos that document your entire day from start to finish. Choose a local photographer or videographer who is familiar with outdoor weddings in Houston so they can capture every detail without missing any important moments!
- Wedding Cakes
A wedding cake is crucial to any outdoor wedding in Houston. Fortunately, the city offers some of the best cake designers around who can create beautiful and delicious cakes tailored to your exact specifications! Whether you're looking for something traditional or contemporary, they have the skills and experience to turn your vision into a reality. Not only that, but they'll also be able to provide advice on which type of cake will best suit your outdoor event—from a classic tiered design to something more unique.
Outdoor Wedding Vendors in Houston
- Laughing Faces Photo Booth
Laughing Faces Photo Booth is a family-owned and operated business that offers a variety of photo booth options to choose from. Their service runs for three hours and includes 2x6 unlimited double prints or a single 4x6, a table full of fun props, an exterior monitor to view pictures that were taken, a setup fee, and a booth operator. Their services are perfect for any event, whether it be a wedding, birthday party, corporate event, or any other special occasion.
- Top Shelf Staffing
As a fully licensed and insured staffing company, Top Shelf Staffing brings integrity, experience, and caliber to every event. They offer a wide range of services, from bartending to event coordination. From corporate functions to high-end weddings, their team works side by side with clients to ensure every detail is taken care of. And with their constantly growing list of Most Requested Services, including specialized options like synchronized service and fire entertainment, they have everything needed for a successful event.
- Moody's Charcuteries
Jackie Moody is the creative and passionate mastermind behind Moody's Charcuteries, a custom charcuterie platter business in Fort Bend County, Houston. Jackie started her business in the summer of 2020, right before she was laid off from her day job due to Covid-19. Never one to give up on her dreams, Jackie shifted gears and decided to put all of her energy into making beautiful charcuterie boards that she could deliver right to people's doorsteps. From there, Moody's Charcuteries took off, and Jackie has since been busy spreading joy to others through her one-of-a-kind cheese boards.
Pros and Cons of Outdoor Weddings in Houston
There are many benefits to having an outdoor wedding in Houston. The city's mild climate means that you can have your ceremony and reception any time of year, and the plethora of scenic locations provides a beautiful backdrop for your big day. However, there are a few things to keep in mind if you're considering an outdoor wedding in Houston:
- Due to its temperate climate, you can plan your celebration anytime and rest easy knowing the weather will cooperate.
- With so many stunning locales to choose from, you're sure to find the perfect backdrop for your needs!
- Celebrating your special day outdoors offers a unique atmosphere, providing a more serene and personal setting than an indoor wedding.
- Maximize your savings and take advantage of mother nature's beauty by utilizing the beautiful surrounding scenery for decorations.
- Houston is notorious for its insect population, so it's essential to take steps to protect your guests from any potential nuisances.
- You'll need to be careful about choosing a location that is safe and accessible for your guests.
- Planning an outdoor wedding comes with its own unique set of challenges, making it a more complicated venture than hosting an indoor celebration.
Tips on How to Organize Outdoor Weddings in Houston
Outdoor weddings are a beautiful and unforgettable way to celebrate your big day. Keep the following tips in mind to make sure your outdoor wedding in Houston is a success:
- Nature Issues: To avoid any run-ins with unwelcome pests, take some precautionary steps to keep insects away from your guests during their stay.
- Location, Location, Location: To ensure your guests have an enjoyable and stress-free experience, it is important to choose a venue that provides ease of access as well as safety.
- Noise-Level Management: If you decide to host your ceremony or reception in a crowded outdoor space, it is important to be aware of the potential noise level.
- Help from Professionals: Experiencing a feeling of being overwhelmed? Let the professionals take charge and ease your worries. Employing a wedding planner or other expert to manage everything for you can help ensure the special day goes off without any issues.
- City's Rules and Regulations: You must be well aware of the city's laws concerning outdoor weddings before moving forward.
Famous Locations in Houston
- The Sixth Ward
The Sixth Ward is a historic community located in Houston, Texas. The ward was created in 1874, and its boundaries have remained largely unchanged since then. The National Register of Historic Places lists the Sixth Ward as an architectural heritage district, due in part to its many historical buildings. The district is home to a variety of notable structures, including several churches, a school, and many residential properties. In recent years, the Sixth Ward has seen a resurgence in popularity, with new businesses and development projects bringing new life to the community. The Sixth Ward is an ideal location for a day to spend and explore the area's history.
- Edith L. Moore Nature Sanctuary
The Edith L. Moore Nature Sanctuary, managed by Houston Audubon, is a serene getaway in the middle of the metropolis. If you're feeling cooped up, a stroll through the sanctuary's walking trails is invigorating. The place also doubles as a birding hotspot and boasts interesting educational programs about the area's history. The sanctuary not only houses the Natives Nursery and Houston Audubon Headquarters, but it is also a conservation property for creatures and birds. Thus, some rules differ from city and county parks to protect the area. Be sure to adhere to the posted rules so that everyone can enjoy this serene spot.
- Talento Bilingue de Houston
The Talento Bilingue de Houston strives to bring together various cultures through arts and education. It was founded in 1977 as "Teatro Bilingue de Houston" but has since grown into a full-fledged Latino Cultural Arts Center. Along with ongoing performance art series and exhibits, the center provides year-round educational opportunities like multidisciplinary workshops, a children's summer arts camp, and school touring productions. The Talento Bilingue de Houston lies in the East End of Houston—less than one mile from downtown. The center offers the following features to the public: a 240-seat theater, rehearsal room, commercial kitchen, administrative offices, professional dance studio, and amazing gallery space. The Talento Bilingue de Houston, leased from the City of Houston Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department, is a great place to explore Hispanic culture through the arts.