About New Orleans
With a vibrant energy and soulful spirit, New Orleans is located in the southeast of the United States along the Gulf of Mexico. Famous for its delectable Creole food, live jazz music scene, and iconic Mardi Gras celebration each year — visitors flock to this unique destination all year round! The weather can be hot and humid during summertime, with mild winters featuring plenty of rainfall. The natural beauty of New Orleans is one of its most appealing qualities. Located on the banks of the Mississippi River, it is home to many parks and recreational areas that provide residents and visitors with stunning views. In addition to these natural attractions, numerous museums featuring art from various cultures and historical sites preserve the city's colorful history.
Blessed with mild winters and abundant stunning outdoor venues, New Orleans is the ultimate paradise for couples seeking to tie the knot in a picturesque outdoor setting. From gorgeous plantations or gardens that offer photo opportunities like nowhere else on earth to its warm climate — you can plan your special day outdoors without any worry!
Outdoor Wedding Options in New Orleans
- Lighting Rentals
Lighting rentals are essential for creating the perfect atmosphere for an outdoor wedding in New Orleans. You can choose from a range of colorful lights or stick with classic white lighting depending on the style and mood you want to create at your celebration. Depending on where you’re hosting your event, you may need stage lighting or lighting fixtures that work with natural light to create stunning visuals throughout the evening. New Orleans has plenty of rental companies specializing in outdoor lighting — so you can find the perfect fit for your wedding day!
Music sets the tone for any event — especially one as important as a wedding! A live band or DJ can liven up any celebration while setting the perfect ambiance with their music selection. The best part is that they’ll handle all aspects of sound production, so you won’t have to worry about technical issues on your special day! Whether you’re looking for upbeat party tunes or romantic ballads, plenty of talented musicians in New Orleans can provide it all! They can handle outdoor weddings in various settings, from extensive plantations to smaller private gardens.
- Catering Services
The type of food you serve at your wedding will have a major impact on its success. In New Orleans, plenty of catering services specialize in outdoor events, so you can be sure your guests will be treated to delicious Creole cuisine. Whether you’re looking for a light, elegant meal or an all-out buffet of Southern favorites — they have options to suit every taste! Plus, their staff can set everything up on-site, so you won’t have to worry about any details.
Outdoor Wedding Vendors in New Orleans
- Music and Lights Entertainment
Music and Lights Entertainment has been providing top-notch DJ entertainment services to the people of New Orleans for years, creating memories that last a lifetime. They understand how stressful event planning can be, so they keep everything highly transparent when you book their services. This way, you can control your service completely, from customizing the music selection to choosing the best quality equipment for the event.
- Blue Oak BBQ
Blue Oak BBQ has been serving up some of the best-smoked barbeques in New Orleans since 2012 when Philip Moseley and Ronnie Evans first opened their doors. Whether hosting an intimate gathering of eight or indulging over 2,000 guests, Blue Oak BBQ caters to all occasions and ensures a healthy and delicious dining experience!
- Larkin's Event Tents
Founded by Larkin Perrier, Larkin's Event Tents specialize in providing quality items with excellent customer service throughout Greater New Orleans. Their extensive catalog of tents offers styles and sizes to fit any occasion, ranging from 10x10 up to 40x80. Couples often choose them to add a special touch to their outdoor weddings to make them unforgettable.
Pros and Cons of Outdoor Wedding Venues in New Orleans
An outdoor wedding venue in New Orleans could be the perfect backdrop to your big day — inspirational, breathtaking, and utterly unique! That being said, you should take into consideration some potential drawbacks before making a final decision on an open-air venue:
- New Orleans boasts some incredibly scenic locations to host an outdoor wedding — think lush gardens and sprawling oak trees draped in Spanish moss!
- With a mild climate year-round and beautiful scenery, hosting an outdoor wedding in New Orleans is great for capturing stunning photos of the special day.
- Doing so will allow couples to take advantage of all the fantastic cultural elements that make up the city — exotic musical entertainment, delicious cuisine, and amazing architecture can help create a memorable experience for everyone involved.
- Outdoor weddings also offer couples a more intimate setting than traditional indoor receptions — perfect for those who want to celebrate their nuptials with close family and friends!
- Outdoor weddings can be subject to disruption from neighborhood noise or animals such as birds, insects, or other wildlife.
- Mosquitoes in New Orleans can quickly ruin an outdoor wedding if they aren't appropriately managed.
- Regulations and permits are also necessary for most outdoor wedding venues in New Orleans, so couples should research their chosen location thoroughly to ensure they have all the necessary paperwork.
Tips on How to Organize Outdoor Wedding Venues in New Orleans
New Orleans has some of the most picturesque outdoor wedding venues in the country, and there are a few essential tips to follow when planning your special day:
- Research local vendors with experience in outdoor weddings: When looking for vendors, it’s essential to ensure they are experienced in outdoor weddings and know how to work with any unexpected outdoor conditions. It is also beneficial to look for vendors that know the city of New Orleans very well and can suggest locations that fit your vision.
- Choose a venue with the appropriate resources and space: Depending on the size of your wedding, you need to choose an appropriate venue with enough space for all your guests and any extra features such as tents or chairs. Also, consider whether the venue has access to electricity or other utilities should you need them.
- Decide on a rain plan: You never know when it might rain in New Orleans, so it’s always a good idea to have a backup plan if this happens. Consider renting tents or umbrellas for your guests, scheduling indoor activities, and having wet weather gear on hand.
- Incorporate unique elements that take advantage of the city: New Orleans has such unique culture and history — use this to your advantage! Incorporate features like Cajun food stations, jazz bands playing during the ceremony, or other creative ideas!
- Schedule ample time between setup and event start time: There are often delays due to traffic and parking in New Orleans, so make sure you allow plenty of time for setting up chairs, decorations, catering, etc., before your event starts. Additionally, planning lets you double-check everything is set up correctly before guests arrive!
Famous Locations in New Orleans
- Bourbon Street
Bourbon Street is an iconic part of American culture, and rightly so. The street had existed since the founding of New Orleans in 1718 when it was named Rue Bourbon after the ruling French royal family. For over 300 years, Bourbon Street has promised revelers a wild night, and it continues to do so today. Its neon-colored bars, restaurants, and music venues over 13 blocks light the air with energy and life. Although some might be surprised to learn that Bourbon Street isn’t related to bourbon whiskey, this doesn’t stop millions from flocking to its exciting atmosphere every year.
- Algiers Point War Memorial
Every once in a while, stepping back and recognizing the sacrifices of brave individuals around us is essential. Algiers Point is one place that does exactly that. Standing in the middle of the neighborhood is an impressive war memorial. It is an elegant reminder of all the people from this area whose lives were extinguished fighting for our nation. The four-sided monument lists the names of servicemen and women from Algiers Point who gave their lives in U.S. wars from World War I onwards, giving these heroes a perpetual place in our history and hearts.
- New Orleans City Park
At over 1,300 acres, New Orleans City Park is almost twice as large as Central Park in New York. A guided walking tour in this urban oasis makes for a memorable experience — be joined by an expert who delights in sharing the park's secrets. Enjoy a walk down the picturesque moss canopies and iconic oak trees, or visit museums and attractions such as Storyland or Carousel Gardens to learn more about NOLA culture. No matter your interests, visiting this stunning park will leave you mesmerized!