Located on the Gulf Coast of Texas, Houston is the most populous city in Texas and the seventh most populous in the United States. Known as the “Space City” due to its prominent space industry, Houston is also known for its excellent educational institutions, including Rice University, the University of Houston, and Texas Southern University.
The city's cultural attractions include an active theater scene with Tony Award-winning Alley Theatre and Museum of Fine Arts Houston; professional sports teams such as the Texans (NFL), Astros (MLB), Rockets (NBA), and Dynamo (MLS); shopping attractions such as The Galleria; and numerous restaurants offering creative cuisines from all over the world.
Dubbed the “Energy Capital of the World,” Houston has thousands of energy-related firms based there. In addition to being a major center for oil/gas exploration and production business centers, Houston is home to many major chemical plants and refineries which process oil products into fuels.
Industrial locations can be found throughout Houston, especially near its coastline. These locations provide ideal backdrops for film or photoshoots. There are many unique features—old warehouses, rusty shipping containers, abandoned factories, etc.—which create a unique atmosphere that cannot be replicated elsewhere. Additionally, these locations have easy access to public transport or highways making it easier for cast/crew members to travel around quickly.
Ultimately, these industrial locations are perfect backdrops for filmmakers who want an authentic urban look for their project without having to travel far away from home.
Industrial Space Options in Houston
- Production Companies
Numerous production companies in Houston are responsible for coordinating, producing, and managing all aspects of a film or photoshoot, from casting and pre-production to securing locations and post-production. They also handle all legal matters associated with a shoot, such as contracts and releases. Many production companies in Houston specialize in industrial shoots, offering several years' worth of experience working at these types of locations.
- Equipment Rentals
Numerous qualified equipment rental companies in Houston provide equipment to film sets which can include cameras (digital cinema camera packages), lenses (prime or zoom), tripods (fluid head or sliders); lighting (LED or HMI); monitors; microphones (boom pole and lavalier); cables; audio mixers; video mixers; hard drives; and playback systems. Typically, these Houston rentals will include trained professionals who can help operate the equipment efficiently throughout a film or photoshoot process.
- Cleaning Services
A great many of Houston's cleaning service teams guarantee a completely sanitary environment while shooting both indoors and outdoors in industrial locations. When contending with more hazardous environments, like power plants where toxic gasses may need to be managed before entering the workspace, these teams make sure everything is secure and ready to go before the cameras roll, ensuring smoother productions that are not hindered by unexpected issues.
Industrial Space Vendors in Houston
- Photo Rental Source
Photo Rental Source is a Houston rental company that provides film and photo equipment of all sorts. Since 2009, they have been renting professional-grade cameras and lenses to filmmakers and photographers, whether amateur or pro. Their stock includes DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, lenses, action cameras, video gear, video lighting, studio lighting, audio gear, accessories, and more!
- Office Pride of Houston-Montrose
Office Pride of Houston-Montrose is a highly reliable and professional commercial cleaning business. They understand the importance of allowing someone else to access your building, so their staff is extensively background checked, trained, and hired with the utmost care. Office Pride takes customer satisfaction seriously and strives to execute its services—from secure trash removal to restroom sanitization—to an exceptionally high standard each time. Their commitment to offering quality cleaning services allows them to earn your trust and keep your workplace healthy and safe every day.
- Pop Video
Pop Video is a Houston-based video marketing agency that creates video content for B2B companies. They leverage the power of video to generate visually-stunning media for businesses that align both cost and artistry to meet any marketing objectives. Pop Video consistently brainstorms, produces, and recycles useful visual content to supply clients with an endless variety of resources for their projects. With over 70 five-star reviews on Google, Pop Video is lauded by clients for their professional filming and editing, creative ideas, and fun attitude.
Pros and Cons of Industrial Locations in Houston
Hosting photo or film shoots in an industrial space around Houston can offer plenty of advantages and potential drawbacks:
- Industrial locations in Houston offer unique backdrops that can add an interesting visual element for both film and photography projects.
- The vastness of many industrial settings provides enough space for the crew and equipment needed for larger-scale shoots or productions.
- You’ll have more creative control as there are fewer restrictions from local authorities compared to other types of settings such as residential neighborhoods or nature reserves.
- Industrial locations typically come with built-in structures like walkways, staircases, and ladders that can help add some variety when setting up shots without having to bring your own equipment and props onsite.
- The cost of using an industrial location is typically lower than shooting in a residential or commercial setting.
- Houston is known for its hot, humid climate. This could be a disadvantage for industrial locations as some crew members may struggle to stay cool and comfortable during filming or photography sessions in this environment.
- Industrial locations in Houston often have loud noises or air pollution caused by nearby businesses, which could interfere with the sound recording quality. Additionally, these environmental factors could potentially harm camera equipment if not handled properly.
- These locations tend to have a lot of obstacles that need to be considered such as power lines, signs, fencing, etc. Planning these out beforehand can be a time-consuming task and require additional resources from the production team.
Tips on How to Organize Filming at Industrial Locations in Houston
When it comes to finding the ideal industrial backdrop for your filming project, Houston is an optimal location. With its wealth of industrial sites and a well-developed film industry, you're sure to find something that fits both your vision and budget. To ensure a successful production in this city, here are some tips to follow:
- Laws and Regulations: Make sure to research the local laws, regulations, and fee structures governing industrial film/photoshoots in Houston. This will ensure that all necessary permits have been acquired and all fees have been paid before you arrive on location.
- Professionals' Involvement: Select a team of professionals who are experienced in working in industrial locations in Houston—this includes a director, cinematographer, lighting team, production assistant, sound mixer, makeup artist, and any other personnel required for your shoot.
- Insurance: Secure the appropriate insurance coverage before the shooting begins. Liability insurance should be taken out to protect against any potential damages or injuries occurring during the shoot.
- Safety: Survey the space and take notes of pre-existing safety hazards as well as possible risks that might arise while on location. This will allow you to plan ahead and create contingency plans for any unforeseen circumstances.
- Time Management: Prepare a detailed timeline with specific goals for each hour of the day’s shoot. This ensures that everyone is on the same page about expectations and will help keep the project running smoothly within its given timeframe.
Famous Locations in Houston
- Levy Park
The city of Houston's Levy Park is one of the most visited parks in town. The Upper Kirby area is bursting with entertainment for everyone. The children's area includes a large stone slide, a spherical jungle gym, and extensive tunnels and grassy mounds to crawl through that provide a natural-feeling option to a metal playset. The play area only scratches the surface of the fun. An activity cart, library, dog run, packed calendar of events, and a changing selection of food trucks make it easy to stay all day (and return the next) at this park. Levy Park is the perfect place to take the family for a day of fun.
- Radiant Fountains
Situated outside of Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Radiant Fountains is a 2010 sculpture by Dennis Oppenheim. The piece is made of stainless steel and programmed LED lights, shooting a spray of acrylic lights into the sky. The towering, brilliant lighting is visible from JFK Boulevard, where the work was commissioned by the Houston Arts Alliance. Radiant Fountain joins the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston's collection of multiple 2010 drawings by Oppenheim with the same name.
- The Lone Star Flight Museum (LSFM)
LSFM is a museum dedicated to honoring Texas aviation achievements and instructing future generations about the subject. The Texas Aviation Hall of Fame is on display at the museum, which has a variety of antique and unique commercial, military planes, and general aviation. Visitors may go on a warbird flight or learn how to fly at Flight Academy and the high-tech Aviation Learning Center, both of which are available for hands-on involvement. The museum offers multiple public education programs that create an unforgettable experience for everyone from toddlers through adults.