An art gallery and studio featuring original installation and mixed media artwork.
- Original artwork
- Natural Light
- Open Space
- High Ceiling (24ft)
- Lots of parking
- 1300 sq ft & two levels of original art
- Nearby street parking
- Highspeed Wi-Fi
- 9ft ladder
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Free Set-up and Clean-up time, please include plenty of time for this in your booking request.
- Music Videos
- Discussions / Meetings
- Group Activities (no more than 20 people in the space at a time)
- Small get-togethers
- Right next to the Lincoln / Cyprus metro station. Safe, plenty of parking, and in a gated creative community.
SHAPIRO STUDIOS AND GALLERY
- In addition to showing Shapiro's work, the gallery also shows the work of other selected artists.
-Laurie Shapiro’s large-scale, mixed-media paintings can be viewed from the wall or in an otherworldly setting where she creates installations that you can walk inside. Her work is driven by an insatiable need to inquire about the nature of how we perceive the world. Fascinated by color and process, Shapiro initially builds up her paintings by screen printing stencils of her drawings, then hand sewing the segments on muslin which she then brings to life with layers of painting . When viewed up close, one can see the intricate details and hand-stitching of her screen printed drawings.
- Born in Long Island, NY (1990), Shapiro has a BFA from Carnegie Mellon University (2012), and spent a semester at Bilkent University in Ankara Turkey (2011). She has completed artist residencies at Kala Art Institute in Berkeley, and the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. In Los Angeles, where she lives and works, Shapiro has had two solo shows with Radiant Space Gallery. She has also shown with Mars Gallery in Chicago. Shapiro was the recipient of an Artists’ Fellowship Grant, Center for Cultural Innovation Grant, and was awarded a fellowship at American Jewish University. In addition, Shapiro’s installations have been commissioned for Otherworld and Coffee World. Her paintings are in public and private collections, including the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles and Bilkent University.
ON THE ARTWORK:
- "A wrapping helix of interconnected prismatic panels, dense with layers of screen-printing, drawn and painted images, and stitching, is activated with a LIFX lighting motherboard. As an environment, it resembles a fantastic dream, luminous and alive..." (Shana Nys Dambrot, LA Weekly)
- "Viewers slip off their shoes to enter the space, evoking the sensation of entering both fairyland and sacred chamber. There are elements of the fairytale here – a visionary, female-conceived version of the genii’s cave in Aladdin or the magic treasure cave in Ali Baba and The Forty Thieves – in Shapiro’s installation; also significant are elements of personal and spiritual sanctity.“ (Genie Davis, Artillery Magazine )
- Stepping into Laurie Shapiro’s latest art immersive, Alchemy Tunnel, feels like time has stopped in that moment. Before you’ve had a chance to look around, you already feel different. Instantly you’ve become centered. (Marisa Molinaro, LA Parents Guide )
Also Good For: Corporate Event, Dinner, Film Shoot, Meeting, Networking, Performance, Photo Shoot, Retreat, Workshop, Filming, Photography, Background, Dance Shoot, Product Shoot, Meditation, Launch Party, Promotional Video, Filmed Interview, Documentary, Production, Music Shoot, Yoga Class, classes, Creative Meeting, Discussion, Interview, Screening, Commercial Shoot, Apparel Shoot, Head Shot, Clothing Shoot, Indoor Photoshoot, Portrait, Poetry, Soundbath, Healing Retreat
Keywords: Alice in wonderland Through the looking glass Paranormal Twilight zone Surreal
Dreamscape Burning man Trippy psychedelic Otherworldly Artistic Artist Art immersion Flowers Colorful Rainbow Mind bending Queer Pride Lgbtq Feminist