Ottawa is the capital city of Canada and is located in the province of Ontario. It is notable for its beautiful architecture, including the Parliament Buildings and Rideau Canal. Ottawa is also a production and content creation hub, with many film and television studios in the city. Dance shoots are particularly popular here, thanks to the city's many scenic locations and friendly atmosphere. One interesting fact about Ottawa is that it is home to the world's largest skating rink on the frozen Rideau Canal. This makes Ottawa an ideal destination for winter shoots.
This Canadian city has much to offer anyone visiting or working in the area, with attractions like the National Gallery of Canada, Major’s Hill Park, and the Casino du Lac-Leamy. One interesting fact about Ottawa is that it is home to the world's largest skating rink on the frozen Rideau Canal. This makes Ottawa an ideal destination for winter dance shoots.
Dance Shoot Options in Ottawa
Choosing a videographer for your dance shoot is an important decision. You want to ensure you select someone with a lot of experience shooting dance videos and who understands the movements and dynamics of dance.
- Makeup and Hairstyle
When choosing your makeup and hairstyle for your dance shoot, you must consider the dance style you will be performing. For example, if you are doing a ballet shoot, you will want a more classic look with minimal makeup and sleek hairstyles. If you are doing a jazz shoot, on the other hand, you may want something with more flair and personality.
- Clothing Rental
Renting some pieces can be a great option if you don't have any dance-specific clothing in your wardrobe. This will allow you to choose details that perfectly match the dance style you will be performing. Be sure to look for high-quality clothing rental companies with good options.
Dance Shoot Vendors in Ottawa
- CESOIR films
CESOIR films is a professional video production company servicing Ottawa, Montreal, and the surrounding areas. They create charming wedding films, corporate marketing videos, dance shoots, and commercials for local & national clients. The team at CESOIR has extensive experience crafting stunning full video productions specifically designed to support various online campaigns, courses, and television programs. Additionally, their commercial division can help you showcase your business effectively to entice new customers.
- One Fine Beauty
Shannon Ranger, the founder and owner of One Fine Beauty, has been a prominent figure in the beauty business in Ottawa for over 20 years. Shannon has worked with hundreds of women and men as one of Ontario's trending makeup artists. Mrs. Ranger has collaborated with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and former Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney. Shannon works with a team of highly trained, professional, and talented makeup artists hand-picked for dance shoots, fashion shows, films, TV shows, and more.
Sara Mallabar was an enterprising woman who saw opportunities where others didn't. She started her business in 1900, catering to the carriage trade with ball gowns in Winnipeg, Manitoba. But by 1906, she had opened a store in Ottawa selling costumes, theatrical makeup, and dancewear to take advantage of the thriving local scene. Sara and her staff took pride in their artistry, and their efforts delivered drama and excitement to loyal customers. Today, the store is still going strong, and its unique product mix continues to be a valuable asset for performers of all levels for dance shoots, Halloween costumes, movie costumes, and more.
Pros and Cons of Dance Shoots in Ottawa
When it comes to shooting dance videos, Ottawa is an ideal location as it offers a variety of settings that can enhance the video’s visuals. There are many pros and cons associated with renting out locations in Ottawa for a dance shoot:
- Many locations are available for dance shoots at competitive rental rates compared to other cities in Canada.
- Canadian film tax credits are available when filming in Ottawa, providing added incentives and financial support for producers.
- Ottawa has many established film production companies that can provide crew members and equipment needed for successful shoots.
- As the nation’s capital, Ottawa is easily accessible by air or rail and has many accommodation options nearby.
- Finding parking near certain areas may be difficult due to high demand during peak periods such as around festivals or summer months.
- Due to its popularity as a filming destination, some areas may require additional permits or have restricted access times that could affect your plans.
- Some locations may provide limited space or crowd control measures that must be considered when planning a production.
- Producers should also take weather into account as this can impact their shoot schedule if outdoor scenes need to be filmed during specific days of the year.
Tips on How to Organize Dance Shoots in Ottawa
Organizing a dance shoot is an important task and requires you to properly research and prepare locations in Ottawa to ensure the success of your project. Here are several tips on how to do just that!
- Scout ahead of time: Always scout out your location so that you are familiar with what it looks like and can plan accordingly. Make sure there is ample room for any props or furniture needed and other crews occupying the same space during filming.
- Power and wifi availability: If you will be filming indoors in a rented space, confirm whether power outlets can plug in additional lighting equipment. Additionally, Wi-Fi access can be helpful if cameras need real-time updates while they’re in use.
- Have backup equipment and lighting ready: It’s always important to bring more equipment than needed as a backup just in case something doesn’t go according to plan or if something malfunctions unexpectedly. Bringing extra lighting can help create different moods or effects on the set throughout filming – such as creating sunsets and night shots – without having to move locations each time a new effect is desired.
- Consider weather conditions: Ottawa has notoriously unpredictable weather conditions, so it is important to consider this when selecting a shooting location and creating a detailed schedule for filming days. Have alternative shooting plans depending on what kind of weather might hit during production days so that unexpected rain showers won’t ruin your plans altogether.
- Utilize natural light sources: Natural light sources, such as windows, skylights, doorways, etc., can help create more exciting visuals on camera – even if artificial light is used mostly throughout filming. Make sure these natural light sources are considered when scheduling scenes and establishing shot lists for each day's shoot.
- Bring adequate support staff: To avoid any last-minute issues or delays on site, everyone involved must know their roles clearly and have all information beforehand (including call times). Bring enough support staff, such as makeup artists and costume designers, who can prepare the dancers quickly before they enter each scene they need to film.
Famous Locations in Ottawa
- Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill is most famous for being the seat of the Canadian government and is located in downtown Ottawa. The Parliament Buildings are historic, neo-Gothic structures that are important to Canadians as it's where parliamentarians conduct business. If you admire the art and architecture inside, you'll likely see paintings with Canadian motifs. The House of Commons is meeting in a gorgeous glass-roofed former courtyard in the West Block. Meanwhile, the Senate is deliberating in a magnificent Beaux-Arts-style building, originally a train station, just one block away from Parliament Hill. If you visit during the summertime, you can also explore the East Block to see historical spaces restored to look similar to how they appeared in the late 1800s.
- Canadian Museum of Nature
The Canadian Museum of Nature is one of the country's most popular tourist destinations, attracting over 1 million visitors annually. The museum's exhibitions and public programs offer something for everyone, showcasing the diversity of the natural world. The museum is home to over 14.6 million specimens, including various plant and animal life. In addition to its permanent exhibitions, the museum also hosts and organizes some traveling exhibitions. These exhibitions allow the public to learn about different aspects of natural history while supporting the museum's research programs.
- Canadian War Museum
The Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, Ontario, is a national museum that honors Canada's military history. The educational facility is open to providing lectures and information and serves as a place of peaceful reflection for those who have lost loved ones. The museum boasts an impressive collection containing over 500,000 pieces of material related to all facets of military history from around the world. The museum is a permanent exhibition and has hosted and organized some traveling exhibitions relating to Canadian military history. The museum is an excellent resource if you want to learn more about Canada's Military heritage.