About New Orleans
New Orleans is a vibrant city located in southeastern Louisiana, United States. It is the largest metropolitan area in the state and features classic southern architecture, a unique style of music, rich culture, and a variety of cuisines. It has been dubbed “the Crescent City” due to its location along the Mississippi River. The city experiences warm weather throughout most of the year with temperatures that range from mild to hot during the summer months. New Orleans is known for its abundant festivals and events, especially jazz music which began here in the early 19th century. Additionally, this city also offers natural attractions such as swamp tours, paddle boat rides through bayous, and fishing trips on Lake Pontchartrain.
New Orleans is home to some of the most unique and charming retro locations that are perfect for hosting events. From historic mansions to vintage theaters, the city boasts an array of options to choose from. Whether you're planning a wedding, a corporate event, or a birthday party, these retro venues offer a one-of-a-kind atmosphere that will transport you and your guests back in time. Imagine dancing the night away in a jazz club from the 1920s or enjoying cocktails in a speakeasy hidden within a historic hotel. With their distinct architecture and rich history, these retro locations are sure to add a touch of nostalgia and sophistication to any event.
Retro Event Options in New Orleans
Despite its modern reputation, New Orleans is known for its rich musical history and culture. Many local musicians specialize in classic genres of music from jazz to blues and rock ‘n’ roll. These musicians can bring a unique sound to a retro gathering that guests won't soon forget. Hiring local performers also helps support the local music scene, giving it much-needed recognition and financial assistance during tough times.
An event isn’t complete without some great decorations and several experienced decorators in New Orleans specialize in creating custom pieces for vintage-style occasions. From classic furniture to vintage lighting fixtures, these decorators can transform any space into a throwback paradise that both looks and feels authentic. They can also assist with larger-scale projects such as stage sets or life-size recreations of classic movie scenes from decades past.
- Catering Services
For any large or small occasion, having quality catering services is essential for success and countless experienced caterers in New Orleans specialize in creating delicious meals for every type of guest list. Whether you're looking for simple finger foods or something more elaborate such as hors d'oeuvres or multi-course meals served on vintage china plates, these caterers will be able to provide options galore.
Retro Event Vendors in New Orleans
- Taste Buds Catering and Events
Taste Buds Catering and Events is a solution for guaranteed delicious catering. All of the award-winning recipes from their three concepts are available to make sure that you get only the best quality food. Moreover, they don't just serve New Orleans — wherever your event is taking place, Taste Buds will be there! The company brings its one-of-a-kind cuisine to Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and beyond, offering private banquet rooms or offsite catering services for weddings, corporate barbecues, social gatherings, and school functions.
- Lovegood Wedding & Event Rentals
Lovegood Wedding & Event Rentals is dedicated to making your special occasion a memorable one! They offer specialty, vintage, and retro furniture and decor for corporate, production, social gatherings, and weddings that are sure to leave an impression. From their New Orleans lair, Lovegood is pleased to deliver an eclectic array of 250 mismatched chairs, 22 Church pews, and other homey furnishings for lounge spaces—such as farm tables and bars—to NOLA, 30a/Destin in Florida and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Lovegood's collection is à la carte or customizable by packages — guests can choose exactly what they need for their dream event.
- Cake, Cake, Cakes Etc. LLC
Cake Cake Cakes Etc. LLC has been steadily baking delicious treats and fresh cakes for the greater New Orleans area since 2014, quickly becoming a beloved part of the culinary landscape. Customers are always delighted to find an array of custom cakes, pastries, candy, and sweet table displays right at their fingertips — all made with love, directly from their ovens. But not content to rest on their laurels, Cake Cake Cakes Etc. LLC got creative in 2020; they launched a brand-new line of baking emulsions that have taken the baking community by storm.
Pros and Cons of Retro Locations in New Orleans
If you're looking for a truly one-of-a-kind event, consider going retro in New Orleans. Planning a vintage affair is certainly an eye to behold and can add an extra layer of elegance and charm — but it's not without its difficulties as any little detail could be the difference between success and failure. Here are some pros & cons to keep in mind when it comes to organizing a retro occasion in The Big Easy:
- As one of America's most historic cities, New Orleans offers an invaluable backdrop when organizing an event with a ‘vintage’ feel — from its iconic French Quarter neighborhood that dates back centuries to its rich musical heritage there is no shortage of inspiration for creating a unique atmosphere for your retro gathering.
- With countless jazz clubs and bars scattered throughout the city, there are plenty of choices when it comes to finding good music for your party; whether you’re looking for classic hits from days gone by or something more modern there is sure to be something perfect for your guests.
- The reputation of New Orleans as one of America’s party capitals makes it easier for organizers to attract guests from all over the country — locals already know what an amazing time they will have so getting them interested in coming isn't usually a problem.
- The vibrant atmosphere and friendly locals mean that throwing a retro event in New Orleans will always guarantee an unforgettable experience — everyone who attends will leave with great memories that they won't forget anytime soon.
- Despite its history, New Orleans’ older architecture can be tricky to work with if you’re looking to create a truly vintage atmosphere at your gathering; many of the older structures have been renovated over time so finding an untouched space could take some digging.
- Since New Orleans is a city known for its lively nightlife, it can be hard to stand out from other popular local events happening on the same night when hosting a retro party in the area.
- Rules and regulations will vary from venue to venue, so make sure you’re aware of what’s required in the area you plan on hosting your event. There may be restrictions about noise levels or other details that could impact your gathering.
Tips on How to Organize Retro Locations in New Orleans
Retro events in New Orleans can be a great way to bring the past alive and celebrate classic culture. Here are some tips on how to organize a successful gathering in this city:
- Research the area and available venues thoroughly: New Orleans is a city with a vibrant history and culture, so it's important to research the area to find the best venues for hosting a retro event. Look for interesting spaces with a historical atmosphere, or contact local museums or cultural centers for potential collaboration opportunities.
- Get creative with your décor: Think outside of the box when it comes to decorating the venue — draw inspiration from vintage clothing, furniture, and other objects that are sure to bring a touch of nostalgia to your event.
- Involve attendees in activities: Having some interactive activities at your retro occasion will ensure that everyone has an enjoyable time — think '70s karaoke, classic board games, costume competitions, etc. Make sure you have enough staff on hand who can help facilitate these activities throughout the night.
Famous Locations in New Orleans
- Royal Street
Royal Street is a unique experience in New Orleans, offering something different from the exuberant party of Bourbon Street. It's a collection of classic galleries and family-owned antique shops, as well as some of the city’s most delicious restaurants. Not only that, but it’s also a picturesque street with its pastel-colored historic buildings, mysterious courtyards, and quaint balconies. From Canal Street to Esplanade in the French Quarter, through the Marigny and Bywater areas up to the Industrial Canal — Royal Street makes for an unforgettable excursion into NOLA's vibrant culture and history.
- New Orleans Jazz Museum
Since the early 19th century, the old US Mint building has served as an important part of the city of New Orleans. From creating gold and silver coins to giving visitors a peek into the history of jazz — it does it all. Step inside its doors and explore two sides of New Orleans' past. There’s so much to discover about Jazz greats like Louis Armstrong, and admire items like pieces of money-making machinery used by the Mint. If you love music, history, and seeing relics from bygone times, then a visit to the New Orleans Jazz Museum is certainly worth your while.
- Hollygrove Mural With Lil Wayne
In 2017, Ceaux painted a vibrant image of hometown hero Lil Wayne in the bustling streets of Hollygrove — and it quickly became one of the area's most cherished attractions. In 2018, Drake featured this iconic mural in his music video "In My Feelings," causing an influx of people to flock to Phase III Body Shop on 8401 Olive Street for their own snapshot. This masterpiece has since become a beloved landmark among locals. Before you take your picture, be sure to appreciate the intricate features of this mural. From Lil Wayne's GOAT title to his signature tattoo and finally "0017th" symbolizing Hollygrove. If you're a visitor seeking a perfect shot of this iconic spot, visit late in the afternoon for pictures without any distracting shadows blocking its vibrant colors.