As the county seat of Hamblen County, Morristown is a city with a rich historical background and culture. It rightfully earned its nickname, the "city with a heart," because of the friendliness of its residents and the number of charities and civic organizations headquartered there.
Its location is one of the aspects that makes Morristown truly special. Nestled in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, the city is surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. That in itself positions Morristown as an excellent place to film a video.
With stars like Patrick Dempsey, John Bianco, and Morgan Freeman spotted up and about filming their next big blockbusters, the city has quickly gained a reputation as a movie magnet. It is worthwhile to lock down a video shoot location in Morristown for your upcoming project.
Video Shoot Options in Morristown
- Makeup and Hairstyle Artists
Morristown has excellent hair and makeup artists who can work on video shoot set transformations. They are skilled at sprucing up an actor’s look to reflect their on-screen persona, and several special effects makeup artists in Morristown can perform elaborate conversions using latex foam or prosthetics.
- Equipment Rentals
If you need to rent any filming equipment for your shoot, Morristown has scores of reputable rental companies. From lighting and sound gear to cameras and drones, these rental businesses have everything needed to get your set running without breaking the bank.
- Photographers and Videographers
Morristown is a hub for professional photographers and videographers who can lend a hand in making your vision a reality. Videographers record footage that is then edited into the desired video content. Photographers snap behind-the-scenes images and they also take pictures of the cast members for promotional purposes.
Unless you have been on a set, you wouldn’t imagine that productions create quite a mess. With things moving at lightning speed to keep up with the schedule, trash can quickly pile up and cause a health hazard. It is wise to enlist the services of a cleaning company in Morristown to keep things spic and span as filming progresses.
Video Shoot Vendors in Morristown
StrixMedia is a top-tier digital media agency specializing in professional quality videography, photography, drone services, website, and graphic design, and social media marketing. Launched by Gianfrancesco and Zack Ryan in 2017, the company also offers content creation services, including live broadcasting and print work.
- Gianna Giacona Beauty Group
Gianna Giacona Beauty Group is a world-renowned company that has been working in the beauty and fashion industries for over twenty years. Gianna Giacona founded the company, and she has worked with models, actors, actresses, and other performers. Her specialty is providing makeup services for headshots, film and company productions, ads, and special occasions.
- Headquarters Audio Visual Services
Headquarters Audio Visual Services is your go-to solution for equipment rentals in Morristown. In the past quarter-century, they have built a solid reputation for providing outstanding service, professional grade A/V equipment, and competitive pricing. They offer personalized customer service and are experts in delivering quality events to your venue.
Pros and Cons of Video Shoots in Morristown
Now that you know more about Morristown and what it has to offer, it is easier to settle for the city as a filming location. Still, when scouting for video shoot locations in Morristown, there are advantages and disadvantages of going with different venues.
- The city is incredibly friendly and welcoming, which provides an overall great experience for out-of-town film crews.
- There is a wealth of history and culture in Morristown, which can add to the richness of your video, particularly in the case of scripted productions.
- The scenery in and around Morristown is absolutely stunning, making it a great place to film nature videos or commercials.
- The lack of a local airport means that out-of-towners have to make do with long commutes. In the case of working on a video shoot, it is something to factor into the production schedule.
- Morristown experiences low extremes and plenty of windy days, which can interfere with plans to shoot outdoors.
- As a small city with a population of under 1,500 people, Morristown does not have all the facilities, skilled laborers, and amenities that filmmakers might need.
Tips on How to Organize Video Shoots in Morristown
If you have decided that Morristown is the perfect place to film your next video, congratulations! Now it's time to start planning and organizing your video shoot. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Date and time arrangement. Choose a date and time for your video shoot that will work well with everyone’s schedule. Also, consider the time of year and consult the weather forecast before locking down filming locations for specific dates.
- Location scouting. Once you have a general idea of where you want to film your video, it's time to start scouting out locations around the city. This can be done by searching online or performing a location recce to visit the different venues in person.
- Permits and paperwork. Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork in order before filming begins. It will help you avoid potential problems or production delays.
- Equipment rental. If you don't already have the necessary gear for your shoot, you need to buy or lease it from a local rental company. Visit the rental businesses ahead of time to find out if you need to source something special from out of town.
- Crowds of people. If you are shooting a video in downtown Morristown, keep in mind that it is one of the most crowded places in the city. Plan for crowd control, if you must film in the area, or schedule your shoot during off-peak hours.
- Distance. The last thing you want is to haul around filming equipment if you are using multiple production spaces. Get video shoot locations near where you have set up the “production office” and provide logistical support for easy movement to and from various shoot spaces.
Famous Locations in Morristown
- Morristown National Historical Park
The Morristown National Historical Park protects and preserves four sites with roots in the Revolutionary War. The 1,676-acre park also features an 18th-century farm, a recreation of soldier huts from that period, and a visitor’s center with interactive exhibits. There is even a three-mile tour road running through different battlefields and encampments — perfect for history buffs!
- Macculloch Hall Historic Museum
The Macculloch Hall Historic Museum is a beautiful and well-maintained home, with reconstructions of period rooms from the 18th and 19th centuries. George Macculloch built the 20-room manor in 1810, and ten of its rooms are preserved to maintain historical accuracy. The rose garden, where the first Jersey tomato was grown in 1829, includes more than 45 different types of roses.
- George Griswold Frelinghuysen Arboretum
The Frelinghuysen Arboretum, maintained by the Morris County Parks Department, has six paved, gravel, and dirt walking/hiking paths crisscrossing the grounds. Dating back to1891, the Arboretum includes woodlands, meadows, and formal gardens. In 1989, the Haggerty Education Center was established on the grounds, and it is home to various regional plant societies.