Morristown, Tennessee is a small city located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. It has a population of just over 30,000 and is known for its quaint charm and historical downtown area. The city experiences all four seasons with hot summers and mild winters. Local attractions include the Crockett Tavern Museum, Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park, Rose Center Theater, Cherokee National Forest, and Panther Creek State Park.
Aside from its cultural significance and natural beauty, Morristown offers an array of benefits to production companies looking to host film or television shoots in the area. The city provides ample resources to production teams including experienced crew members and lighting technicians who have worked on numerous high-profile projects both locally and abroad. Morristown also features low-cost production space rentals which are perfect for independent filmmakers or larger studio productions alike. What's more, local businesses such as hotels often provide discounts to production teams allowing them to save money while they work on their project.
Morristown offers something special that sets it apart from other cities: its proximity to a wealth of outdoor scenery. With easy access to vast forests, rivers, lakes, and mountains up in the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park, filming crews can capture stunning landscapes that enhance any shoot—be it a feature film or commercial advertisement—without having to travel long distances for scenic shots. For these reasons alone, Morristown is an ideal place for production companies looking to maximize their budget while capturing some breathtaking footage at the same time.
Production Options in Morristown
When it comes to lighting, Morristown offers a variety of options to illuminate and set the scene in your chosen production space. You have the option of renting or purchasing lighting equipment, but generally, it is more cost-effective to lease the gear. Several lighting companies in Morristown also offer lighting design and consultation services.
Lists of film equipment rental companies in Morristown stock selections of production gear. Whether you are interested in buying or renting, rental businesses typically have inventories of cameras, sound, and lighting rigs. Rental prices vary, depending on the company and the type of equipment, but you can find quality gear for reasonable prices.
- Photographers and Videographers
Morristown has a pool of talented photographers and videographers ready to offer their services. They have experience producing all types of content, from corporate videos to wedding coverage. Best still, most often come with the gear needed to record/ document your event.
- Set Designers
The work of a set designer is to create the artificial environment where a stage production, TV show, or film performance takes place. Also known as scenic designers, they are also tasked with creating production concepts, sketching design ideas, and coordinating with props and lighting, makeup, and costume departments.
- Cleaning Services
Morristown has several professional cleaning companies that offer removal/wrap-up services for productions of all sizes. A clean workspace enhances productivity and once filming concludes, it is important to leave the space how you found it. Cleaning companies take care of the mess, leaving you with nothing to worry about, except getting the job done.
- Makeup and Hairstyle
Film and television stylists assist with much more than just glamming up the cast/talent. They work on character transformations, and with the help of prosthetics or just good old makeup, they can age or shave off years from actors to get them screen-ready. Selections of talented hair and makeup artists in Morristown can help out with your set transformation needs.
Production Vendors in Morristown
- Seth Steven Studio
As a complete-service photography business, Seth Steven Studio offers a range of photography services. Their list of services includes single and group photographs, product photography, and artwork photography for digital archiving and reproduction. Principal photographer Seth Steven Bechtold has been in the commercial field since 2007, and his work has even graced museums as well as many corporate and private collections.
- Morris Party Tent Rental
In 2010, Noe and Carmen Morris launched Morris Party Tent Rental. The family-owned business has flourished to become a complete party rental company that changes with the times. Their rental inventory includes tents, tables, chairs, and more available for rent, and they'll make sure your production day is complete.
- Laboratory Hair Studio
Located in the heart of Morristown, Laboratory Hair Studio takes pleasure in providing exceptional service in a pleasant and comfortable atmosphere. Their team of highly trained professionals specializes in giving clients trendy, up-to-date cuts and hairstyles. They also provide makeup services, hair extensions, and bridal services.
Pros and Cons of Production Spaces in Morristown
There are several advantages and disadvantages of production spaces in Morristown. These include the following:
- Morristown offers stunning mountain views and picturesque backdrops that can make any production look great.
- The city’s many parks, trails, and rivers provide plenty of natural beauty for filmmakers to capture on film.
- Morristown has a thriving arts community and many local businesses that are eager to support film productions.
- Local government officials are generally supportive of film activities, making it easier for filmmakers to get the permits and access they need for their projects.
- Morristown is surrounded by mountains, which can make it difficult to arrange transportation for large equipment.
- Morristown has limited access to manpower, which may restrict the production team’s ability to source crew members from multiple locations.
- Weather in Morristown can be unpredictable and change rapidly, making outdoor shoots difficult to work with.
Tips on How to Organize Productions in Morristown
There are a few things to keep in mind when organizing productions in Morristown. These include the following:
- Develop a comprehensive production plan: A production plan should cover scheduling, budgeting, equipment needs, and personnel. Details should include staff qualifications, employee job descriptions, and staff availability.
- Coordinate with local vendors and suppliers: Local vendors and suppliers can provide essential materials for productions that may not be available in Morristown. It is important to get bids from multiple sources to ensure the best quality product at the lowest cost.
- Utilize available resources: Morristown has many resources that can be used to help coordinate productions. These include professional organizations, city services such as building permits, libraries, and museums.
- Find appropriate venues: The success of a production depends on finding an appropriate venue that meets the needs of both the crew and the audience. Venues must be able to accommodate all necessary production elements, including sound systems, lighting rigs, and stage size.
- Create a contingency plan: Productions are unpredictable, so it is essential to create a contingency plan in case something unexpected happens or goes wrong on set. This can include alternate locations for shooting or backup actors if needed. Additionally, having safety protocols in place will help ensure everyone stays safe during filming.
Famous Locations in Morristown
- Loantaka Brook Reservation
Loantaka Brook Reservation offers thrill-seekers extensive walking and cycling trails, as well as sprawling acres to indulge in activities like horseback riding, cross-country skiing, and more! The park contains both paved and unpaved routes cutting across different types of terrain.
- Morristown Green
Morristown Green is located at the center of the city, and it sits on 2.5 acres of land park that George Washington used as his base camp during the late 1770s-80s Revolutionary War. As a result, the historical park served as a center for military and political activities for three centuries. These days, the grounds host diverse activities annually, including The Festival of the Green.
- The Morris Museum
The Morris Museum, one of New Jersey's oldest and most popular cultural institutions, was founded in 1913. Today the museum continues to build on its rich legacy of excellence with a variety of creative shows that explore the arts, sciences, and humanities. The Murtaugh D. The Guinness Collection of Mechanical Musical Instruments and Automata is one of the most popular exhibits at the museum.