Hamilton, Canada is a beautiful and vibrant city located in Ontario. Situated on the western tip of Lake Ontario, its stunning natural beauty includes lush forests, rolling hills, and majestic waterfalls. The city has a rich history stretching back to its founding in 1815 by George Hamilton. Since then, it has grown into an important cultural center with renowned performing arts venues such as Theatre Aquarius and The Hamilton Place.
In recent years, Hamilton has become a popular destination for filmmakers due to its urban setting and abundance of scenic locations. Significant productions have been shot here, including The Handmaid’s Tale (2017), Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010), and American Gods (2017). In particular, downtown locations such as Hess Village provide an exciting backdrop for filming, with a mixture of historic brick buildings and modern apartments lined up along side streets.
Other video shoot locations include nearby attractions like Webster’s Falls, near Ancaster, or Hell Holes Gorge Park, west of Stoney Creek. All these factors make Hamilton an ideal destination for filmmakers looking to capture stunning visuals while still maintaining proximity to other major cities like Toronto and Buffalo only an hour away making it ideal for multi-location shoots too.
Video Shoot Options in Hamilton
- Video Production Company
Perhaps you are working on an event promotional video, product marketing content, or documenting a special occasion. In either case, it is a sound idea to work with a video production company. In a sense, they take the role of the management department and handle the project needs as a whole. From financing to hiring the crew/cast; working with a video production company in Hamilton will get the job done.
A director takes charge of the execution and creative process when producing a video project. They are often the first crew members hired to work on a production, and they collaborate closely with the producers. Experienced directors in Hamilton are ready to take on your project and deliver a video that reflects your vision.
- Equipment Rentals
Equipment rental companies in Hamilton can supply your video shoot with all the gear needed to get the production started. These businesses provide inventories of filming equipment, ranging from cameras and lenses to lighting and sound gear. A majority also offer technical support services to help you operate the equipment during the production process.
Video Shoot Vendors in Hamilton
- Black & White Media
Black & White Media is a videography and photography company that specializes in capturing its clients’ messages. They excel at strategically packaging marketing campaigns to reach the target audience. The production company offers live-streaming, video marketing, video production, digital campaign, and event video production services.
All roads lead to Thearix, for production wardrobe needs in Hamilton. The company is Canada’s largest costume supplier, with an inventory of 50,000 quality rentals and accessories. They cater to photography, film and television, and theatre productions. Beyond providing costume rental services, they also offer free basic alterations, dry cleaning, and shipping. The rental company also provides custom costume-making services and FX makeup services.
- Hamilton Video & Sound
Since 1965, Hamilton Video & Sound has delivered Audio-Visual services to diverse clients in the greater Canada region. Their rental inventory includes data/video projectors, portable screens, wireless microphone systems, 4K/HD cameras, and lighting systems. The company’s clients range from hospitals and schools to TV studios and courthouses.
Pros and Cons of Video Shoots in Hamilton
Hamilton is becoming an increasingly popular city for video production. With its diverse range of landscapes, low cost of living, and central location between Toronto and Niagara Falls, the city offers a unique combination of advantages and drawbacks for any video production team. Here are the pros and cons of shooting videos in Hamilton to help you decide which locations are best suited for your production needs.
- Hamilton is conveniently located within driving distance from Toronto, allowing easy access to crew members, actors, and other necessary personnel for filming.
- Hamilton’s diverse landscape gives filmmakers a wide range of options to choose from when selecting their locations; from rural farmlands to urban downtown streetscapes, there is something perfect for every project.
- Living costs in Hamilton are much lower than in larger cities like Toronto or Montreal, making it an excellent choice for budget-conscious productions.
- Shooting in or near a major city means access to higher caliber talent pools since professional actors often live closer to the larger towns with more work opportunities.
- A significant drawback of shooting in Ontario’s temperate climate is that inclement weather can cause delays or even force projects over budget if they have not planned accordingly.
- Although there has been an increase in film studios in the area recently, compared with major cities like Los Angeles or New York City, there is still a limited selection when looking into specialized sound stages or equipment rental services within the city limits of Hamilton itself.
- Depending on the type of project being filmed, there could be issues related to security if local gang activity becomes a factor near specific locations; ensuring adequate security measures are taken should always be a priority beforehand if this is a concern.
Tips on How to Organize Video Shoots in Hamilton
Anyone who has tried to organize a video shoot knows it can be challenging. From coordinating schedules to dealing with last-minute changes, there are many moving parts to keep track of. However, a few tips can help make the process a little easier.
- It's essential to be as organized as possible: Create a timeline for the day and make sure everyone involved is aware of it.
- Don't be scared to outsource responsibilities: Having one person in charge of the timetable, another in charge of the equipment, and so on will go a long way toward smooth operation.
- Be prepared for anything: Murphy's Law often seems to apply to video shoots, so it's always best to have a backup plan (or two).
Famous Locations in Hamilton
- The Historic Bruce Trail
The Bruce Trail is an 890-kilometer-long stretch that runs from the mighty Niagara Falls. While outdoor enthusiasts have braved the length, most folks break the hike down into bite-sized adventures. The Canterbury Falls and Hamilton Falls are among the attractions people can see along the way.
- Dundurn Castle
Dundurn Castle is a 19th-century neoclassical mansion in Hamilton, Ontario. Constructed in 1835, it was the home of Sir Allan MacNab, who served as the Prime Minister of Canada from 1854 to 1857. The castle includes over 40 rooms and is furnished with period furniture and artifacts. Visitors can tour the castle grounds and see the rooms where Sir Allan lived and worked.
- Art Gallery of Hamilton
The Art Gallery of Hamilton was founded in 1914 and later relocated to its current location on King Street West in 1977. Housing more than 10,000 pieces, Art enthusiasts can feast their eyes on works by Canadian artists as well as contemporary international pieces. The Art Gallery of Hamilton also hosts a 10-day multi-arts festival showcasing its vast collection of art.