Toronto is a bustling city full of vibrant culture and unique attractions. Founded in 1793 by British loyalists, it has grown to become the largest Canadian city and one of the most multicultural cities in the world. As Toronto has evolved, so has its event landscape, as evidenced by the city’s slew of grand ballrooms to beautifully curated outdoor spaces.
Backyard weddings have gained traction in recent years, given the endless possibilities they present in terms of putting together a sentimentally heartfelt occasion. Backyard wedding venues in Toronto host myriads of occasions, from intimate ceremonies under a canopy of trees to grand receptions decked out with string lights and vintage furniture.
Backyard wedding venues are an excellent choice for couples who prefer to have their nuptials against the backdrop of a nontraditional setting. These occasions are typically more affordable and have enough room for fun activities and entertainment. Toronto’s wedding planners also have experience transforming yard spaces into elegant event venues that reflect every couple’s vision.
Backyard Wedding Options in Toronto
Catering is essential to any wedding and a component that helps make the day even more unique and memorable. When choosing a caterer, consider their experience in handling weddings, the quality and variety of their menu offerings, their ability to customize menus to meet specific dietary needs and preferences, and their reliability. Toronto has lists of culinary experts who provide a selection of various dishes that accommodate all tastes, from gourmet menus for formal dinners to more casual fare for backyard weddings.
Flowers play an integral role in setting the tone for the big day. They can be used as accessories and gorgeous decor elements for the backyard wedding. Work with a Toronto florist who can provide quality, fresh and beautiful flowers, as well as creative display and design ideas to add extra touches of elegance and fun, including bouquets, table centerpieces, and flower walls.
- Wedding Planner
A wedding planner is an invaluable asset when planning a backyard wedding. Their experience and expertise can help relieve the stress of planning by organizing vendors and timelines, creating budgets, tracking RSVPs, scheduling meetings with vendors, negotiating contracts, etc. They also offer helpful advice about decorations, floral displays, rentals (lighting/tables/chairs), music selection, menu selections, and other aspects of making your special day perfect. Good wedding planners will listen closely to your vision to create the perfect event tailored just for you.
Backyard Wedding Vendors in Toronto
- Maximum Music Dj Service
Maximum Music DJ Service provides wedding entertainment. They make celebrations unique and memorable without cheesy games or corny antics. Maximum Music takes great pride in providing outstanding professional service for their clients, ensuring the dance floor is packed all night long and that every moment of the event runs smoothly.
- Encore Catering
With over 35 years of off-premise catering experience and an unwavering commitment to excellence, Encore Catering is dedicated to making your event a success. The team of seasoned professionals, headed by Cary Silber, David Silber, and Ryan Silber, promises to take care of every aspect of the event with a focus on the details. They offer corporate, wedding, and event catering services as well as drop-off catering.
- Flowers Of The World
Flowers of the World understand that flowers are more than a gift; they are an expression of love and care. That's why their florists craft each arrangement with utmost attention to detail. They have something suitable for all tastes, whether for a special occasion or holiday. Plus, they offer same-day delivery across Toronto, so you can be sure your floral creation will arrive fresh and on time.
Pros and Cons of Backyard Weddings in Toronto
Backyard weddings in Toronto are an excellent option for couples who want to personalize their special day in a more relaxed setting. There are pros and cons that come with having a backyard wedding, so it’s important to weigh them carefully before making a final decision.
- Backyard venues create an intimate environment, ultimately leading to better conversations and more meaningful memories with those closest to you.
- Backyard weddings are typically much lower priced than traditional venues, making them far easier on your budget while providing an unforgettable experience.
- By not being limited by time constraints or conventional rules that come with renting out other venues, you’ll have more freedom when planning out this day, ensuring everything goes according to plan without any added stress or pressure.
- Unpredictable weather can be one of the most significant challenges when hosting an outdoor event such as a wedding since there may not be any options available if it starts raining or gets too cold outside.
- Since guests will likely be outdoors for most of the day, they might get uncomfortable due to heat or cold, depending on the season.
- Having a backyard wedding requires quite a bit of preparation beforehand, including things like setting up tents/canopies, tables & chairs, lighting, decorating, etc.
Tips on How to Organize Backyard Weddings in Toronto
Hosting a backyard wedding in Toronto can be an enriching experience you and your guests will never forget. Here are some tips to help you organize a beautiful event in the comfort of your own home:
- Secure permits: Before planning any details, check with your local municipality to ensure outdoor weddings are allowed in your area. The City of Toronto requires all outdoor events that serve alcohol or include music to obtain a special event permit from the city. This process can take 6-8 weeks, so planning is essential!
- Prepare your space: Consider the size of your space when planning out seating arrangements, entertainment options, and decorations. If needed, you can always rent additional furniture or equipment, such as tables, chairs, and audio equipment, while also considering ease of access for delivery trucks and cars trying to navigate through tight areas around your backyard.
- Consider ambient lighting: Ambient lighting is essential if you’re hosting a nighttime wedding event outside! String lights or tiki torches work great for giving guests plenty of light without causing too much disruption from neighbors; make sure they are correctly installed with assistance from an electrician if necessary.
- Provide plenty of shade & seating Options: Be sure to provide ample shade from hot sunny days by setting up tents or umbrellas so guests won’t have any trouble staying cool while mingling outdoors. Additionally, it's helpful to set up seating areas with lounge furniture, such as loveseats or couches throughout the yard, so that guests have multiple places to relax during their time at your wedding!
- Create a delectable menu: A tasty outdoor menu allows for plenty of creative options depending on your preferences. Serve grilled fare like burgers and bratwurst alongside summer salads and sides such as grilled vegetables or roasted corn on the cob. These are perfect additions for those looking for something delicious (yet still convenient) on this special day!
Famous Locations in Toronto
- Katyń Monument
The Katyń Monument, located at the intersection of King Street West and Roncesvalles Ave in Toronto, stands as a powerful reminder of the tragedy that occurred during World War II. The monument, created by artist Tadeusz Janowski to honor Polish prisoners massacred by Soviet forces, is an emblem of hope for peace among nations and remembrance for those who tragically lost their lives or survived this awful ordeal.
- Fort York National Historic Site
Fort York National Historic Site in Toronto is fascinating to learn and explore. As the most extensive collection of original 1793 structures in Canada, Fort York offers a unique glimpse into our country's past. From guided tours of military buildings to outdoor exhibits and cookouts, visitors can step back in time to experience what life was like two centuries ago. With almost two hundred years of history, Fort York is an incredible learning opportunity for all ages.
Harbourfront-CityPlace in Toronto is a vibrant neighborhood in downtown Toronto's heart. It is home to 30 residential towers, 120,000 square feet of retail space, an 8-acre park, and a library. The area is also serviced by the Toronto Transit Commission's 509 Harbourfront line and is popular among locals and tourists. From Chinatown to the waterfront, plenty of attractions are within walking distance for visitors to explore.