Denver, Colorado, is a unique and culturally-rich city with something for everyone. It is nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains and has a spectacular view of the surrounding mountain range. Known for its 300 days of sunshine each year, Denver's mild climate makes it an ideal location for outdoor activities and events. In addition to its great weather, the city offers various attractions, from scenic parks to great restaurants and breweries.
When planning a special event like a wedding, Denver offers many unique opportunities for couples looking to make their big day memorable. One popular option is a backyard wedding. Backyard weddings in Denver are becoming more popular due to their flexibility, affordability, and privacy. Not only do they provide more freedom when it comes to decorating and personalizing the space, but they also offer couples the opportunity to host their ceremony among family and friends in a homey atmosphere.
The natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains provides endless opportunities for creating beautiful photos at any backyard wedding in Denver. Couples can choose from many different landscapes — from sprawling hillsides with breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains to picturesque lakeside locations or even small hidden gems within the city limits that offer extraordinary backdrops for your special day.
Backyard Wedding Options in Denver
- Wedding Cake
Getting a delicious cake for your backyard wedding in Denver does not have to be complicated. A variety of bakeries in the area specialize in custom cakes for weddings. With the help of an experienced baker, you can create a unique cake that fits perfectly with your vision for the day. Many bakers offer affordable options such as cupcakes or smaller cakes and more elaborate designs that may include multiple tiers and intricate decorations.
Adding live music to your backyard wedding in Denver can make it even more special. Plenty of talented musicians are available to hire, including string quartets, soloists, and DJs who specialize in playing at wedding ceremonies and receptions. If you’re looking for something different, you could also opt for acoustic guitarists or vocalists who can provide lovely background music while guests mingle and dine.
Making sure the decor at your backyard wedding looks gorgeous is essential! You don’t have to spend an arm and a leg either; there are plenty of DIY tutorials online where you can find creative ways to decorate on a budget. From simple touches like fabric drapes hung from trees or colorful paper lanterns suspended from string lights, there are many ways to bring life and personality into your outdoor venue without breaking the bank!
Capturing all of those special moments at your backyard wedding is vital. Most couples these days opt for professional photographers who know how to take beautiful photos, even if space may be limited due to having an outdoor venue instead of an indoor one. Take some time when selecting photographers in Denver; research their portfolios thoroughly before booking them for the job.
Backyard Wedding Vendors in Denver
- Frank's Bar-B-Que Catering Service
Frank's Bar-B-Que can be an ideal vendor for your backyard wedding catering needs, providing an authentic Texas BBQ experience. Their food is mesquite-smoked and homemade, including traditional sides and famous banana pudding. They offer a variety of meats, such as chicken, beef, pork, and lamb, ensuring a diverse menu for your guests. Frank's Bar-B-Que is well-equipped to cater to small or large events, ensuring your guests are satisfied and happy with the delicious food.
- Eric Barley DJ Service
With over a decade of experience, Eric Barley is Denver's favorite professional DJ. Eric has done everything from weddings to corporate events with a sparkling sense of humor that marries the crowd! Beyond just spinning records, he also provides MCing services, sound management capabilities, and event coordinating expertise to give clients an exceptional experience. He takes pride in delivering top-notch service each time, and his passion for entertaining shines through at every gig.
- Selah Photography
Selah Photography offers a distinct and expressive style of art and photojournalism that blends contemporary, simple, and artistic imagery. Their team is passionate about capturing your special day in the most beautiful way possible, providing truly one-of-a-kind wedding photographs. Selah Photography offers a variety of package options to accommodate every budget, with special discounts available for military couples.
Pros and Cons of Backyard Weddings in Denver
A backyard wedding is a special event in a private setting. This type of wedding offers many advantages and disadvantages compared to traditional weddings in banquet halls or churches.
- There's no denying that backyard weddings are more intimate than traditional wedding venues and allow couples to be married in an inviting atmosphere.
- Backyard wedding venues have plenty of natural light for photos and require minimal decor, allowing you to save money on decoration.
- Backyard settings offer flexibility that other venues don't, so you can customize the event to meet your needs.
- Not all backyards have enough space for a large wedding party.
- Backyard weddings can be hot and uncomfortable in the summer months.
- You'll have to manage all the moving parts, including rentals and supplies to be relocated outside, which could add more stress to the couple or coordinator.
Tips on How to Organize Backyard Weddings in Denver
Organizing a backyard wedding in Denver can be a great way to create an intimate, one-of-a-kind experience for your guests. From choosing the perfect venue to ensuring you have all the necessary permits, there are some things to consider when planning a backyard wedding. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get started:
- Find the right venue: Look for a private venue that’s easily accessible yet still provides enough space for your guests. Research online and ask friends or family who may know of unused private yards that would be ideal for your event. Consider enlisting the help of an event planner if you’re having trouble locating the perfect spot.
- Make sure you comply with local regulations: Depending on the location, there could be certain regulations that must be followed when hosting an outdoor event. Check with the local government or homeowner’s association to determine what events are allowed and which permits may need to be obtained for your backyard wedding.
- Create a list of amenities: Consider what amenities must be provided at the venue, such as seating, lighting, and sound systems. You may also want to provide a tent or canopy in case of inclement weather and portable fans or air conditioners if it gets too hot outside. Make sure you have all these items ready ahead of time so that they don't become late additions during setup day.
- Have backup plans: Even if you think everything is going perfectly, always ensure you have backup plans if something goes wrong on the big day. This could include alternate venues or transportation options if it rains or other unexpected events occur.
Famous Locations in Denver
- Enchanted Hart Haus
Denver is blessed with many outstanding public art pieces, and one that stands out is the magnificent Enchanted Hart Haus. The front entrance showcases an awe-inspiring mosaic comprised of a male deer in a forest — and the level of craftsmanship and detail on display is remarkable. Not only does it house astounding artwork, but it also serves as a functional home too! A lot of love and care went into creating this one-of-a-kind Denver home.
- The Learned Lemur
Denver is home to many unique shops, and one of the most interesting is the Learned Lemur. This small store is filled with animal skulls and other curiosities and will fascinate any visitor. The Lemur also offers a wide selection of books on natural history, making it the perfect place to learn about the local wildlife. Whether you're looking for a new addition to your collection or simply want to explore Denver's hidden gems, The Learned Lemur is worth a visit.
- Daniels and Fisher Tower
At over 325 feet tall, the Daniels and Fisher Tower is one of the tallest masonry structures to the west of the Mississippi River. This tower has been a focal point of Denver's skyline for over a century and is one of the city's most iconic landmarks. Open to the public, visitors can enjoy stunning views of downtown Denver and the Rocky Mountains from the tower's observation deck. The clock tower, which chimes every hour and is illuminated at night, is also a notable attraction. Visiting the Daniels and Fisher Tower is a must-see for anyone exploring Mile High City.